High GPA and good EC's but low MCAT...Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MusicIsLife511

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my scores today..

PS 9, V 7, BS 10 - 26R :(

GPA - 3.83, sGPA - 3.76
600+ hours of clinical experience (rounding with doctors and sitting in on appointments) and shadowing experience (at a hospital and Neurology offices)
1200+ hours of community service
Worked as an EMR Chart Abstractor for a summer
Volunteered as a First Aider on my school's EMS Squad
Worked for a summer as an EEG Technician
Tutor at my school's Tutoring Center (5-7 hrs/wk)
Have shadowed a DO and have gotten a really good letter of recommendation
Currently working on 2 research projects that will most likely be published

I'm applying to both MD and DO schools. I was planning on retaking it on July 29th, and I have been studying but not as rigorously as for the 1st test. I would only take it just to make my Verbal score go up to an 8 (as I was averaging around 7 or 8 on practice tests), but I don't know if it's worth risking having my scores drop even lower.

Should I retake on 7/29? Do I have a decent shot at DO with a 26R? Even though I'm applying to both MD and DO schools, I really have "fallen in love with" the Osteopathic Philosophy and now I really do think DO is the right path for me. I'm really hoping I have a shot in this cycle.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

3.8/26 for DO will probably get you an acceptance somewhere. However if you want MD I'd recommend spending some more time studying and try to aim for 30+ for a good chance at MD, and do not retake the mcat unless your practice tests are showing major improvement. Though if you've fallen in love with the "Osteopathic philosphy", whatever that means, then start applying to DO schools only.

3.8/26 for DO will probably get you an acceptance somewhere. However if you want MD I'd recommend spending some more time studying and try to aim for 30+ for a good chance at MD, and do not retake the mcat unless your practice tests are showing major improvement. Though if you've fallen in love with the "Osteopathic philosphy", whatever that means, then start applying to DO schools only.

+1

You are in good standing for a DO school. Maybe even your top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
agree with the above. your MCAT is low-average, but still average and your GPA is well above average, so you are probably going to be fine.

Thank you for the responses. I feel a little better now. :)

So do you guys think I should still try the MCAT again on July 29th to hopefully bump my Verbal score up and make my application more competitive or just not take it since it is decent for DO schools?

Thank you for the responses. I feel a little better now. :)

So do you guys think I should still try the MCAT again on July 29th to hopefully bump my Verbal score up and make my application more competitive or just not take it since it is decent for DO schools?

Honestly it's better to have be early than to have a few points added ( Not guaranteed) and be extremely late. And for MD, a late Mcat like yours will be a death blow to your entire application. So, you'd be better of giving yourself more time to study for the mcat and applying next year if MD is your goal.

it would be nice to have a better score with a higher verbal, but looking at the other MCAT threads, you don't want to take it again unless you are score a few points higher than your desired score on your practices. I would try with the score you have. it isn't golden, but it is good enough so why go through the hassle.