High GPA, Low GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OmarH3H3

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just took the GRE for the first time and scored low; Verbal 146 Quant 148, AWA 4.0.
I have a 3.8 cGPA and 4.0 for last 60, 4.0 sGPA, and pGPA 3.93.
I know raising the scores above 150 for each would be ideal to be competitive, but can my high gpa offset this low score? All the schools I will apply to have no cutoff point and mention they don't require a minimum score.
I also have vast experience with plenty observation hours in many settings and plenty extra-curriculars to possibly offset it.

I'd really appreciate some feedback. I really don't want to take that test again!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your GPA will offset your low GRE scores however I know that most the schools I applied to required the GRE to be at least combined 300 and 3.5 writing. If you are intent on not retaking then apply to schools which do not have that 300 minimum requirement or do not require the GRE at all. Best of luck.

Depends on the program. I am under the same boat and spoke with a representative from a school that I am applying to (University of Minnesota). She said that they weight it heavily and that they almost use it to "verify" or that it should correlate with the GPA.

I'm getting interviews with virtually the same GRE scores, just know what each school you apply for is looking for in terms of minimums.

Same situation here! 146V 151Q 4.0AW and will never retake it...
I applied to as many schools as possible (7 schools), and all of them do not require to have a combined 300 minimum. Good luck.