High School GPA vs ACT?

So we have all heard that High School GPA is the true predictor of college success. However, in my situation, I have a really good ACT at 34, but a really average(probably bad) GPA at 3.7. I did take a ton of AP and honors classes but in High School I never had direction until senior year and I was never motivated to do well at all which caused me to slack off and not study. Now I have commited to UIUC and my goal is to get into Dental School meaning I have to be extremely successful in college, but I was just wondering whats the outlook on the other side of the spectrum.

Everyone says someone with a high GPA (4.0+) can do well even with an average to low ACT (<30) which I believe because they have shown the capibility of performing well in college level AP courses so their ACT doesn't really "hinder" them. Can the same be said for a person like me? Even though I haven't gotten A's in all my Honors classes, wouldn't a high ACT show potential to be able to get A's in college? Or are the odds not as favorable for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost anyone who gets a 34 on the ACT should be able to do well in college. It sounds like you have already acknowledged that your weakness is motivation and slacking off. If you can stay on top of that, I bet you will be successful. Good luck!

So we have all heard that High School GPA is the true predictor of college success. However, in my situation, I have a really good ACT at 34, but a really average(probably bad) GPA at 3.7.

lmao you're going to be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
You're gonna be fine. I had a 3.65 and a 33 and I'm making my way through college just fine. You just have to focus on what could be bringing your grades down e.g. lack of sleep, not enough FOCUSED studying, etc.

Thanks guys I was actually feeling really insecure about my ability to make it to dental school lately especially after reading how HS GPA is the more accurate predictor of college success. I'll just focus on forming good study habits from now on.

Where the hell did you read than a 3.7 GPA + top percent ACT = likely to struggle ??

I didn't read that specifically, but I read that High School GPA is the true predictor of college success, so I just reasoned that if I have a low GPA it means I won't do well in college. Every source I read talked about how someone with a low ACT score can do well in college if their High School GPA is high. In all my research I couldn't find a source which stated how the opposite end of the spectrum would do (A student with a high ACT but low GPA). That's why I was asking here. Usually when I envision dental(or medical) students I see well rounded students with High GPA and High ACT, basically the top of the top. And I'm kinda lopsided. I feel like I'm intelligent but then again I struggle to stay focused on my studies hence my not-so-good grades.

So we have all heard that High School GPA is the true predictor of college success. However, in my situation, I have a really good ACT at 34, but a really average(probably bad) GPA at 3.7. I did take a ton of AP and honors classes but in High School I never had direction until senior year and I was never motivated to do well at all which caused me to slack off and not study. Now I have commited to UIUC and my goal is to get into Dental School meaning I have to be extremely successful in college, but I was just wondering whats the outlook on the other side of the spectrum.

Everyone says someone with a high GPA (4.0+) can do well even with an average to low ACT (<30) which I believe because they have shown the capibility of performing well in college level AP courses so their ACT doesn't really "hinder" them. Can the same be said for a person like me? Even though I haven't gotten A's in all my Honors classes, wouldn't a high ACT show potential to be able to get A's in college? Or are the odds not as favorable for me?

I agree with what everyone else has said--you're fine. A GPA of 3.7 is not even close to a "bad" GPA. I guarantee there are students at your school who would love to have even a 3.5 GPA, let alone a 3.7+.

I feel like I'm intelligent but then again I struggle to stay focused on my studies hence my not-so-good grades.

You've recognized that your inability to stay focused is a weakness, so start doing everything you can to work on that. But keep in mind that you have a good GPA, which means you're already doing pretty well for yourself. Earning A's and B's would be my guess, but that's just my assumption. Anyway, don't worry about your grades right now. When you get to college, you determine how much you succeed--your high school GPA, on the other hand, does not.

Last edited:
I agree with what everyone else has said -- you're fine. A GPA of 3.7 is not even close to a "bad" GPA. I guarantee there are students at your school who would love to have even a 3.5 GPA, let alone a 3.7+.

You've recognized that your inability to stay focused is a weakness, so start doing everything you can to work on that. But keep in mind that you have a good GPA, which means you're already doing pretty well for yourself. Earning A's and B's would be my guess, but that's just my assumption. Anyway, don't worry about your grades right now. When you get to college, you determine how much you succeed -- your high school GPA, on the other hand, does not.

I am earning mostly A's and B's, but it gets really annoying when I do well in a class like AP Bio and get a 96% but then it is balanced out by me also getting a 75% in regular English(A class most people can generally get an A just for showing up) Also, among my AP peers many are straight A students, some of whom have maybe gotten 1 or 2 B's max. I guess I can strive to be that straight A student in college with a fresh start. Thanks for the confidence boost I really needed this.

I am earning mostly A's and B's, but it gets really annoying when I do well in a class like AP Bio and get a 96% but then it is balanced out by me also getting a 75% in regular English(A class most people can generally get an A just for showing up) Also, among my AP peers many are straight A students, some of whom have maybe gotten 1 or 2 B's max. I guess I can strive to be that straight A student in college with a fresh start. Thanks for the confidence boost I really needed this.

If you're getting a 75% in a class that most people get an A in, there's something that's hindering you. Do you know what that hindrance is? Can you discuss it with your teacher? Try to figure out what it is, and then brainstorm ideas to improve. It will help you in the long run and possibly even bring your current grade up.

And as for striving to be a straight-A student in college, that's great, but don't be too upset if you ever get a B or a C, or any grade that is lower than what is homologous to an A. Obviously, there are outliers, but I think it's pretty safe to say that the vast majority of college students--pre-med or not--have received a grade that isn't an A, possibly even a few times. If and when you get a grade on a paper or an exam that is lower than what you were hoping to get; learn from it, understand what you did to receive that grade, carry on, and try to do better next time--that's all you can do.

Last edited:
Many of your AP peers are not scoring 34 or above on the ACT. You can clearly hack it. Try to put your fears to rest, enjoy your senior year, and hit the ground running in college.

Thank you guys for your advise and insight! It really did help me get an idea of where I am really at, especially hearing from students who are pre-health professions.

The neuroticism begins at a young age. :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry if I sound very ignorant. But does high school success correlate with college sucess? It seems to me like the environments are so different and competition is so greater that you sort of "start over" in college. I'm only a junior in HS so this is has been on my mind recently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

I'm sorry if I sound very ignorant. But does high school success correlate with college sucess? It seems to me like the environments are so different and competition is so greater that you sort of "start over" in college. I'm only a junior in HS so this is has been on my mind recently.

No

Reactions: 1 user

No, you start all over. Going to a really good prepschool helps but even then you still start over.

"According to the data, if high school grades are not high, good testing does not promise college success. Students with good grades and modest testing did better in college than students with higher testing and lower high school grades."

I got this from pbs. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but my HS gpa really has me insecure.

"According to the data, if high school grades are not high, good testing does not promise college success. Students with good grades and modest testing did better in college than students with higher testing and lower high school grades."

I got this from pbs. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but my HS gpa really has me insecure.

That doesn't mean it applies to everyone. Some people with poor grades in high school go on to do really well for themselves in college. Conversely, some students with terrific grades in high school may struggle when they're in college. There's no definitive method of predicting your success in college.

Relax. You don't need to worry so much about your GPA, nevermind let it make you feel insecure. Bringing your grades up to boost your GPA certainly isn't a bad thing, but don't obsess over it. Focus on getting into college, and when you get there, make sure you buckle down and work hard.

Had a 2.9-3.0 GPA on a 4.5-5.0 grade scale in HS and got a 28 on the ACT. Got a 3.8 in college - it's a different ballgame.

Last edited: