High school teacher to dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nuzaraza

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I have been teaching high school science for 3 years. I had always planned to apply for dental school but was not courageous enough to take the DAT. I am seriously thinking of embracing my fear. Also, I can only apply within Texas because of family reasons. I am looking to see if anyone knows of someone who has done that before. What are the chances of getting in after a gap? How would you convey that in a personal statement,etc?
Thanks!
 
Good for you wanting to pursue your dreams. I think the life experiences you have gained the last 3 years will only benefit you!!

Question: Are you a Texas resident? Assuming so but figured I would ask.

Hit your points and talk about all your experiences and the POSITIVES that have come from the 3-year gap. You could very easily make it a power play in your favor.

PM me if you have any questions! Happy to help anyway I can!
 
Good for you wanting to pursue your dreams. I think the life experiences you have gained the last 3 years will only benefit you!!

Question: Are you a Texas resident? Assuming so but figured I would ask.

Hit your points and talk about all your experiences and the POSITIVES that have come from the 3-year gap. You could very easily make it a power play in your favor.

PM me if you have any questions! Happy to help anyway I can!
 
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate it!
I have definitely grown and learned so much. I have taught bio, chem, physics, AP chem and AP bio. Surely a great experience.
I am a Texas resident. I need to take DAT as soon as possible and then apply. I will surely be contacting you for some tips.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a high school science teacher and I'm currently a D1 in dental school. Every school I interviewed at LOVED the fact that I was a teacher!
 
I wasn't a teacher, rather a tutor (nearly full time, I worked privately and publicly) and not one school asked me about it at interviews. Just the 2 cents from my experience, although I think it was primarily because I developed my application in a different manner.

It certainly is a great experience to have, though. Schools love to hear how you are able to integrate other passions into dentistry. It's fresh and uncommon - a break during interviews from the stale "I love teeth, and that's all!" Lol. As others have said, it will be a strength (not a weakness) if you position it favorably. Given your experience, you should do well on the science sections of the DAT, which is another great advantage. Teaching was the biggest reason I was able to do well on the DAT, 100x moreover than any materials I used. You're gonna do great.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile