High school teacher to dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nuzaraza

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been teaching high school science for 3 years. I had always planned to apply for dental school but was not courageous enough to take the DAT. I am seriously thinking of embracing my fear. Also, I can only apply within Texas because of family reasons. I am looking to see if anyone knows of someone who has done that before. What are the chances of getting in after a gap? How would you convey that in a personal statement,etc?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Good for you wanting to pursue your dreams. I think the life experiences you have gained the last 3 years will only benefit you!!

Question: Are you a Texas resident? Assuming so but figured I would ask.

Hit your points and talk about all your experiences and the POSITIVES that have come from the 3-year gap. You could very easily make it a power play in your favor.

PM me if you have any questions! Happy to help anyway I can!

Good for you wanting to pursue your dreams. I think the life experiences you have gained the last 3 years will only benefit you!!

Question: Are you a Texas resident? Assuming so but figured I would ask.

Hit your points and talk about all your experiences and the POSITIVES that have come from the 3-year gap. You could very easily make it a power play in your favor.

PM me if you have any questions! Happy to help anyway I can!

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate it!
I have definitely grown and learned so much. I have taught bio, chem, physics, AP chem and AP bio. Surely a great experience.
I am a Texas resident. I need to take DAT as soon as possible and then apply. I will surely be contacting you for some tips.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was a high school science teacher and I'm currently a D1 in dental school. Every school I interviewed at LOVED the fact that I was a teacher!

I wasn't a teacher, rather a tutor (nearly full time, I worked privately and publicly) and not one school asked me about it at interviews. Just the 2 cents from my experience, although I think it was primarily because I developed my application in a different manner.

It certainly is a great experience to have, though. Schools love to hear how you are able to integrate other passions into dentistry. It's fresh and uncommon - a break during interviews from the stale "I love teeth, and that's all!" Lol. As others have said, it will be a strength (not a weakness) if you position it favorably. Given your experience, you should do well on the science sections of the DAT, which is another great advantage. Teaching was the biggest reason I was able to do well on the DAT, 100x moreover than any materials I used. You're gonna do great.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile