High stat applicant with no interview invites, just rejections/holds in November

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for your advice. I definitely would rather not skip another cycle if at all possible. Do you feel that it would benefit me to send an update to Maryland? My adviser got in contact with the associate dean of admissions there and she responded to him with an email saying I can contact her with any questions, but I don't really know what to say to her at this point. I feel like the only appropriate response would be to provide her with an update, because my only questions at this point would be "why didn't you interview me" and "what can I do to convince you to interview me," and I'm not sure whether either of those are questions that she would be allowed to answer.

I wouldn't ask those questions of the dean.

I would provide a non-whiny, non-desperate update of significant accomplishments not previously reported. Gonnif has posted elsewhere about how too many updates sound whiny and desperate.

Take a matter of fact approach in your update and don't waste time by belaboring the obvious fact that you remain interested in the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I dunno... that's a lot of dough for 254 schools..... I'm thinking at that point OP should get a loan.

OP in case the horse hasn't been beaten enough, your list is bad. WashU should have been the first school on your list with those stats and you didn't even apply to any of the stat centric schools. You need 20+ schools and focused on stat hungry ones like WashU, UChicago, Vandy, etc. You'll get in, you just need a way better app strategy.
This is why I rely on you to keep me honest!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't ask those questions of the dean.

I would provide a non-whiny, non-desperate update of significant accomplishments not previously reported. Gonnif has posted elsewhere about how too many updates sound whiny and desperate.

Take a matter of fact approach in your update and don't waste time by belaboring the obvious fact that you remain interested in the school.
Do you recommend emailing the dean with the update included in the email, or should I email them and attach the update letter as a PDF, and in the body just say something like "i'm emailing to update you on some of my accomplishments since submitting my application...etc"

Also, should I send a similar update to the other schools I applied to as well?

Thanks for your advice. I definitely would rather not skip another cycle if at all possible. Do you feel that it would benefit me to send an update to Maryland? My adviser got in contact with the associate dean of admissions there and she responded to him with an email saying I can contact her with any questions, but I don't really know what to say to her at this point. I feel like the only appropriate response would be to provide her with an update, because my only questions at this point would be "why didn't you interview me" and "what can I do to convince you to interview me," and I'm not sure whether either of those are questions that she would be allowed to answer.

I'd update Maryland -- Say something to the effect that you "realize your volunteerism was light when you applied initially, but that now you are no longer a full-time student in addition to being a full-time employee, you've been able to devote significantly more time to worthwhile causes." Then list your hours since application --

Full time student and full-time work is a big, big load, and if a weary application reader missed the full-time-work bit -- really, about the only thing that excuses a weak volunteer record -- they may have tossed your application into the 'yeah whatever' pile.

While there is some risk of "reek of desperation," sending an update letter to a school with stats so far below yours might also nudge them over a yield protection hold, particularly if you include a sentence or two about why you love U of Maryland.

Might not help - but unlikely to hurt.

Edit: Just saw you latest post. Whatever you do, do NOT let this look like a form letter, so no "production efficiencies" like attached pdfs.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd update Maryland -- Say something to the effect that you "realize your volunteerism was light when you applied initially, but that now you are no longer a full-time student in addition to being a full-time employee, you've been able to devote significantly more time to worthwhile causes." Then list your hours since application --

Full time student and full-time work is a big, big load, and if a weary application reader missed the full-time-work bit -- really, about the only thing that excuses a weak volunteer record -- they may have tossed your application into the 'yeah whatever' pile.

While there is some risk of "reek of desperation," sending an update letter to a school with stats so far below yours might also nudge them over a yield protection hold, particularly if you include a sentence or two about why you love U of Maryland.

Might not help - but unlikely to hurt.

Edit: Just saw you latest post. Whatever you do, do NOT let this look like a form letter, so no "production efficiencies" like attached pdfs.
Thank you for the advice. I'll keep it short and sweet. Do you think it's worth noting that my sister, brother in law, and fiancee are all currently enrolled at the UMD Baltimore campus for DNP programs?

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep it short and sweet. Do you think it's worth noting that my sister, brother in law, and fiancee are all currently enrolled at the UMD Baltimore campus for DNP programs?

Why? On second thought, it might make the case for why you'd be likely to choose that school if you have multiple acceptances (which they don't know). They're doing well there?

Why? On second thought, it might make the case for why you'd be likely to choose that school if you have multiple acceptances (which they don't know). They're doing well there?
Yes, to my knowledge they're in good standing. And yes, I was thinking that it would provide a believable reason for me to attend if accepted

If you aren't interested in research why did you apply to:
University of Michigan: 8/8
Emory University: 8/10
University of Pittsburgh: 8/16
University of North Carolina: 8/15
Brown University: 8/18
Harvard University: 8/21
University of Virginia: 8/21
Dartmouth University: 8/24
?

If you are OOS for these schools, why did you apply to:
Brown University: 8/18 (not a state school but small and favoring its own)
University of Connecticut: 8/27
?

In essence you applied to two schools: Jefferson and Maryland. Send Maryland a love letter... at this point you need to double down and hope that you don't have to do this all over again in a year or two.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
?

?

In essence you applied to two schools: Jefferson and Maryland. Send Maryland a love letter... at this point you need to double down and hope that you don't have to do this all over again in a year or two.
I applied there because I was advised to apply there, and because I didn't know nearly as much as I do now (largely thanks to everyone on this site). I was told that the private schools didn't care too much about IS status, and that because of my high MCAT score I would be competitive at OOS schools like Mich and UNC. My adviser specifically recommended that I apply to UVA because he said that students from my school have been accepted there in the past. My mother just moved to CT, and she is ill so I figured I would apply there so maybe I could stay closer to her.

Are you suggesting that because I'm not that big on research, I should avoid all research-heavy schools? Because if so, I would imagine that leaves me with a pretty small list of schools that have average MCAT scores that are close to mine, and if (like a few people said above) yield protection would be an issue at schools where the stats are much lower than mine, what options am I left with? I can afford to apply to about 30 schools.

Last edited:
I applied there because I was advised to apply there, and because I didn't know nearly as much as I do now (largely thanks to everyone on this site). I was told that the private schools didn't care too much about IS status, and that because of my high MCAT score I would be competitive at OOS schools like Mich and UNC. My adviser specifically recommended that I apply to UVA because he said that students from my school have been accepted there in the past. My mother just moved to CT, and she is ill so I figured I would apply there so maybe I could stay closer to her.

Are you suggesting that because I'm not that big on research, I should avoid all research-heavy schools? Because if so, I would imagine that leaves me with a pretty small list of schools that have average MCAT scores that are close to mine, and if (like a few people said above) yield protection would be an issue at schools where the stats are much lower than mine, what options am I left with? I can afford to apply to about 30 schools.

I wouldn't avoid schools that are research heavy but I also wouldn't write essays that speak of your hatred for research ….

Keep in mind that the organic synthesis lab work you did isn't something that medical school faculty are typically engaged in. There's a lot more clinical research and translational research that is molecular biology/genetics/cell biology/immunology based. You may or may not dislike that kind of research.

You might also consider sending an update to Emory, which is probably less research driven than some other T25s and also doesn't have the same sky high MCAT median as many other T25s. Your interest in primary care might go hand in hand with Emory's strength at least as reported in this thread by someone affiliated with Emory Medical School (@wagonwheel23).

Emory vs. Brown

Hey, I remember you from the Pitt thread.

You've come a long way in life, and med schools will see that. Like other posters have said, try to hope for the best from Maryland. But if it doesn't work out, you can get into fantastic program next year if you apply with a better list and perhaps look over your essays. Even if the essays aren't problematic, there could potentially be room for growth, like through developing a more cohesive narrative or by cleaning up the writing in general.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for the advice. I went ahead and sent updates to Jefferson, UMD, Brown, Dartmouth, Emory, and UVA. I just briefly summarized a couple of the activities that I put the most time into, then reiterated my interest in the school, as well as why I feel the schools are a good fit for me given my interest in primary care.

Reactions: 2 users
@MyOdyssey tagged me on here about Emory, so I thought I'd follow up... The vast majority of my classmates have done some sort of research, but not all basic science work. Emory provides fabulous clinical training, but they want medical students to be scholars as well. Research is integrated into the curriculum, so it is important to demonstrate an ability to do independent, scholarly work in your application.

@MyOdyssey tagged me on here about Emory, so I thought I'd follow up... The vast majority of my classmates have done some sort of research, but not all basic science work. Emory provides fabulous clinical training, but they want medical students to be scholars as well. Research is integrated into the curriculum, so it is important to demonstrate an ability to do independent, scholarly work in your application.
I have about 4 semesters total of independent research, half of which is in the lab (organic synthesis), and half of which is independent literature review stuff with a more clinical focus.

Do you think that's enough to demonstrate competency to the extent that they wouldn't screen me out for not having enough research?

?

?

Not sure if this matters, but UVA and Umich both take almost half or a little more from OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
II to UVA today! Honestly had committed fully to a reapplication. Dates are in mid-late January and early February. Is there a significant advantage to taking the mid January dates over the earliest February ones a couple weeks later? I feel like I really need some heavy preparation before I'll be ready.

Reactions: 14 users
II to UVA today! Honestly had committed fully to a reapplication. Dates are in mid-late January and early February. Is there a significant advantage to taking the mid January dates over the earliest February ones a couple weeks later? I feel like I really need some heavy preparation before I'll be ready.

You might consider reading, and posting on,the UVA Med School specific threads in the SDN subforum for allopathic medical schools to provide insight on what to expect on interview day,

Congrats on the II!

Reactions: 3 users
:claps::claps::claps::claps::woot::woot::woot::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::clap::clap::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
Now read this:

Reactions: 5 users

I don't know you from Adam but I jumped for joy when I read you got this II. Very happy for you! Glad to see your hard work paying off.

Interview:
Know your app inside out. Why medicine?

1. Note 4/5 reasons why you want to go to UVA. Be specific and make sure you can explain those reasons. Go to the schools website for ideas. Schools are usually proud of some specific things, like a new research facility/hospital that'll create opportunities, legacy, aspects of curriculum etc. Harp on those.

2. Note 3/4 reasons why UVA's setting appeals to you...it's not for everyone.

3. Read a little bit about people in the admissions office including the deans, i.e schools they attended etc. I made a connection with a dean that way.

4. Be genuine during your interview. Be down to earth. Be human

You've got this! Rooting for you from across the country.

You might consider reading, and posting on,the UVA Med School specific threads in the SDN subforum for allopathic medical schools to provide insight on what to expect on interview day,

Congrats on the II!

Yes, OP go to UVA's discussion thread and read everything from the beginning of this cycle.

I don't know you from Adam but I jumped for joy when I read you got this II. Very happy for you! Glad to see your hard work paying off.

Interview:
Know your app inside out. Why medicine?

1. Note 4/5 reasons why you want to go to UVA. Be specific and make sure you can explain those reasons. Go to the schools website for ideas. Schools are usually proud of some specific things, like a new research facility/hospital that'll create opportunities, legacy, aspects of curriculum etc. Harp on those.

2. Note 3/4 reasons why UVA's setting appeals to you...it's not for everyone.

3. Read a little bit about people in the admissions office including the deans, i.e schools they attended etc. I made a connection with a dean that way.

4. Be genuine during your interview. Be down to earth. Be human

You've got this! Rooting for you from across the country.

Yes, OP go to UVA's discussion thread and read everything from the beginning of this cycle.

Thanks for the advice! Needless to say Im pretty happy about this. I'm gonna try my best but honestly just the fact that I got an II is so reassuring because now I know I didn't completely screw something up in my app, and that if don't get in and I apply next year I'll probably have more success.

Very excited to report I was just accepted to UVA! This has been a hell of a ride, and I can't thank everyone on here enough for helping me get through it.

IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!!

Reactions: 37 users
Very excited to report I was just accepted to UVA! This has been a hell of a ride, and I can't thank everyone on here enough for helping me get through it.

IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!!

Congratulations! and a dope school too!

IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!!

A little late to the party, but just wanted to say congratulations!

Just read through the thread, what a whirlwind of emotions. Congrats future doc!

Congrats!!! Just read this thread as well and so happy you are able to keep pursuing your dream! Best of luck in the next step :)

IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!!
congrats!! if you don't mind me asking - did they tell you in the morning or afternoon? waiting to hear from them

congrats!! if you don't mind me asking - did they tell you in the morning or afternoon? waiting to hear from them
It was in the morning. 11:18am EST to be exact. I remember looking through SDN trying to figure out what timet I would hear back too lol

IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!!
Holy smokes, read through this thread and like others have said, it was a whirlwind. I legitimately clapped for joy when I saw this post. You rock! Congrats!

I had all of my secondary applications submitted by Labor Day (September 2nd), and I have only received 2 interview invitations. My stats and the schools I applied to are below. Should I be worrying that I haven't heard back from so many?

MCAT: 517
GPA: 3.93 (total), 3.9 (science)

Yale, Harvard, NYU, UPenn, NYU Long Island, UMass, Boston University, Dartmouth, Columbia, Mount Sinai, Cornell, Albert Einstein, Hofstra, Northwestern, UPitt, Brown, Georgetown, Tufts, Robert Wood Johnson, UNC, Temple, Sidney Kimmel, Medical College of Wisconsin

2 interview invitations.
No, you should not be worried. Even at the high stats level, the majority of applicants have one or no interviews thus far. The silent majority are not quite present or vocal on SDN. Two interviews by this point is an excellent sign of hopefully more to come. Give your full attention to the schools you HAVE heard from, and be happy when the others surprise you in you inbox.

I had all of my secondary applications submitted by Labor Day (September 2nd), and I have only received 2 interview invitations. My stats and the schools I applied to are below. Should I be worrying that I haven't heard back from so many?

MCAT: 517
GPA: 3.93 (total), 3.9 (science)

Yale, Harvard, NYU, UPenn, NYU Long Island, UMass, Boston University, Dartmouth, Columbia, Mount Sinai, Cornell, Albert Einstein, Hofstra, Northwestern, UPitt, Brown, Georgetown, Tufts, Robert Wood Johnson, UNC, Temple, Sidney Kimmel, Medical College of Wisconsin
Where are your II’s

No, you should not be worried. Even at the high stats level, the majority of applicants have one or no interviews thus far. The silent majority are not quite present or vocal on SDN. Two interviews by this point is an excellent sign of hopefully more to come. Give your full attention to the schools you HAVE heard from, and be happy when the others surprise you in you inbox.
What do you mean by give your full attention? Like send updates and LOI? I'm sitting on 6 weeks of silence after some invites and it's making me wonder if that's a bad sign and my early IIs were a fluke. Complete mid to late July for all top20 schools.

Where are your II’s
My interviews are to Robert Wood Johnson (which is my state school) and NYU Long Island. The one for NYU Long Island is on Tuesday and I am trying to prepare best I can, but I am still really nervous. I did a mock interview with my school which they said went great, but I am most nervous for the MMI set up. If anyone has any advice on that too let me know! I am just feeling the pressure about this interview since I have only gotten 2 so far...

My interviews are to Robert Wood Johnson (which is my state school) and NYU Long Island. The one for NYU Long Island is on Tuesday and I am trying to prepare best I can, but I am still really nervous. I did a mock interview with my school which they said went great, but I am most nervous for the MMI set up. If anyone has any advice on that too let me know! I am just feeling the pressure about this interview since I have only gotten 2 so far...
You got 2 before Thanksgiving so you are in good shape. Some of those schools will interview well into the new year and they are holding back on making interview invites so far out ... you may hear from some of those other schools eventually so be patient. It only takes one!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
For NYU LI the interview is really chill. There will be 7 stations with questions that you cant prepare for. Just be yourself and be calm, cool and collected. You'll be fine :))

For NYU LI the interview is really chill. There will be 7 stations with questions that you cant prepare for. Just be yourself and be calm, cool and collected. You'll be fine :))
I was trying to find stats on NYU LI interviews, but there aren't any because it is a new school. There website says they are only accepting 24 students.... That is wild

You got 2 before Thanksgiving so you are in good shape. Some of those schools will interview well into the new year and they are holding back on making interview invites so far out ... you may hear from some of those other schools eventually so be patient. It only takes one!
See I have been hearing mixed things... Someone else told me that most med schools have given away 75% of there spots already? But that did not make sense to me. With applying to 24 schools I am just not sure how many interviews I should hope to get. I know I am really lucky to have gotten two already, this waiting game is just so stressful!

• Wow
See I have been hearing mixed things... Someone else told me that most med schools have given away 75% of there spots already? But that did not make sense to me. With applying to 24 schools I am just not sure how many interviews I should hope to get. I know I am really lucky to have gotten two already, this waiting game is just so stressful!

They may have queued that many but they haven't actually communicated that many which is why you may not have heard yet.

By the end of the month, my school will have burned through about 40% of the interview spots and if we have released all the november dates we'll be at barely the half-way mark in terms of interview invitations released.

It is stressful. It takes a long time and you need to be patient. It is like a trip to Mars, or a full-term pregnancy. You just aren't there yet and it takes a long time.

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users