High stat applicants w/ 0 interview invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglova

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other 'high stat' applicants with 0 interview invites so far this cycle. It be hard sometimes watching people who you thought look like you on paper rolling in interview invites. When you aren't getting any love from any school. #askingforafriend 🙃

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When were you complete? if you complete august/September, give it some time.

Reactions: 1 users
August and September... and now in October... adding more schools out of desperation. I love the quote in your signature btw @voxveritatisetlucis feel like it summarizes the med school app process ❤️

Members don't see this ad :)
August and September... and now in October... adding more schools out of desperation. I love the quote in your signature btw @voxveritatisetlucis feel like it summarizes the med school app process ❤️
Have high-ish stats (4.0/518) and was complete mostly in August. Just started receiving IIs two weeks ago, so don't worry! You still have time :) hopefully you will have a great October!

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe this is an exceedingly stupid question, but I have to ask -- if you applied late in a prior cycle with high stats and it didn't work out, why are you putting yourself through it again, rather than waiting until you can submit early?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Any other 'high stat' applicants with 0 interview invites so far this cycle. It be hard sometimes watching people who you thought look like you on paper rolling in interview invites. When you aren't getting any love from any school. #askingforafriend 🙃
Stats are part of the process, but not the whole thing. Your experience and how you present that experience count too. Nonetheless, II's are going out. Don't give up hope.

@KnightDoc good question, unfortunately the answer is that I’m the one who’s exceedingly stupid, and also extremely bad at writing. I prewrote many of the common secondary prompts in July this time, thinking that once my app got verified I could immediately submit. But then after getting verified I realized I hated all my secondaries because they read like argumentative essays selling myself rather than storytelling so I neurotically tried to keep rewriting them in aug-sept, which just made them more convoluted, and then ended up submitting nonsensical garbage.

• Care
This is such a stressful process. Please distract yourself for the next seven weeks and come back with this question if you haven't any interviews by Thanksgiving.

@KnightDoc good question, unfortunately the answer is that I’m the one who’s exceedingly stupid, and also extremely bad at writing. I prewrote many of the common secondary prompts in July this time, thinking that once my app got verified I could immediately submit. But then after getting verified I realized I hated all my secondaries because they read like argumentative essays selling myself rather than storytelling so I neurotically tried to keep rewriting them in aug-sept, which just made them more convoluted, and then ended up submitting nonsensical garbage.
I would recommend On Writing Well by Zinsser. This greatly improved my writing and I think that everybody can learn something from it.

Reactions: 4 users
I really sorry to hear that. It totally sucks. I had a boss whose favorite expression was "perfection is the enemy of the good," and it applies perfectly here. Pun intended!

You really need to get a handle on this, because I have a feeling, without even knowing you, that what you had been working on for months was probably fine before you started tinkering. In any case, consider the irony that your desire to not be rejected causes you to keep rewriting until such time as your odds of being rejected increase substantially due to the timing of your submissions.

If things don't work out this time (and keep @LizzyM's comment in mind for the next two months), just don't do this in the future! I don't usually recommend paid consultants, since you can get comparable or better advice for free right here. But in this case, given the amount of money you are spending on application fees, it might be a reasonable investment, just for the peace of mind of having someone with experience either help you get over the hump with your writing, OR, more likely, validate that what you have been doing all along is fine. Anything that gets those applications submitted in July-August would be well worth it for you at this point. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

I really sorry to hear that. It totally sucks. I had a boss whose favorite expression was "perfection is the enemy of the good," and it applies perfectly here. Pun intended!

You really need to get a handle on this, because I have a feeling, without even knowing you, that what you had been working on for months was probably fine before you started tinkering. In any case, consider the irony that your desire to not be rejected causes you to keep rewriting until such time as your odds of being rejected increase substantially due to the timing of your submissions.

If things don't work out this time (and keep @LizzyM's comment in mind for the next two months), just don't do this in the future! I don't usually recommend paid consultants, since you can get comparable or better advice for free right here. But in this case, given the amount of money you are spending on application fees, it might be a reasonable investment, just for the peace of mind of having someone with experience either help you get over the hump with your writing, OR, more likely, validate that what you have been doing all along is fine. Anything that gets those applications submitted in July-August would be well worth it for you at this point. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!
I've found that paid consultants can be immensely helpful when used as a final check, rather than the much more costly approach of using them throughout the entire process. Some of my friends paid 10k-ish for consultants throughout the entire application process. I finished everything for my primary (and later secondaries), then used them for final check. Total cost was under 1k.

Of course, this only works if you're reasonably confident in your initial ability. If you did everything wrong to begin with, then your final check can become your first of many...

• Hmm
I would recommend On Writing Well by Zinsser. This greatly improved my writing and I think that everybody can learn something from it.
Hopefully this is a better source than the writings of Plato, Socrates, etc. that you suggested in an earlier thread, haha!

• Haha

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I begin to have faith in premeds and their ability to empathize or be in touch with reality, someone says something like this. I think if I (along with most people I know) dropped 1k along with the application process when sending apps I would have legitimately been evicted or unable to buy food, especially given the COVID financial hold. Not to mention 10k....oml.

Just when you think you've beat the odds and wealth stratification for undergrad, you just get steamrolled once again except 15x worse for medical school. Then people wonder why the process is so skewed and representation is out the window. Lol.
Okay, but I'm not sure it's worth getting bent out of shape over. After all, there is an entire industry that caters to nervous people with money. This shouldn't be news to anyone, since we are all constantly bombarded with their ads.

The good news is that adcoms are well aware of the resource disparity, and it is certainly taken into account during application reviews. How else do you explain average stats for URM matriculants being below those of other groups? I'm sure their personal statements and essays are less polished than those with thousands of dollars to spend on consultants. So what? They end up being accepted right alongside those who spent thousands of dollars to get to the same place.

Just being on SDN and knowing enough to have a decent application means that you have beaten the odds. No use whining about the fact that those with resources use them. With any luck, your kids will do the same, and it will do as little to boost their applications as it does now for those with money. :cool:

Last edited:
Whenever I begin to have faith in premeds and their ability to empathize or be in touch with reality, someone says something like this. I think if I (along with most people I know) dropped 1k along with the application process when sending apps I would have legitimately been evicted or unable to buy food, especially given the COVID financial hold. Not to mention 10k....oml.

Just when you think you've beat the odds and wealth stratification for undergrad, you just get steamrolled once again except 15x worse for medical school. Then people wonder why the process is so skewed and representation is out the window. Lol.
Yea, it sucks. I'm a huge advocate for increase SES-awareness in medical school admissions. That said, I think your whole sentiment about "faith in premeds and their ability to empathize or be in touch with reality" is sorely off the mark. It's hardly completely unrealistic or unreasonable to pay an extra 1k in an application cycle for many applicants.

I applied 35 schools, which cost around 5k. An extra 1k on top of that to noticeably improve my application was undoubtedly worth it. This doesn't even come from being funded by rich parents. I attended undergrad on a full scholarship (many schools offered me admission, but I specifically chose the one with the lowest CoA) and I majored in computer science. Tech pays very well- I had the money to pay for the entire application cycle myself (and much more to spare). Tech was also barely affected by COVID shutdowns. In fact, it improved pay indirectly as the cost of working remote is less. Nothing about this situation is unrealistic, considering an entire field (and a popular one too, especially in modern times) was similarly affected.

There are absolutely many applicants that are applying under different job circumstances and from different financial backgrounds. The purpose of my statement was not to undermine them, but rather to highlight a "best value" approach to your application. Spending under 1k to substantially improve your application is possible for many applicants. Spending 10k is not possible for nearly as many.

And 10k isn't even close to the ceiling. Paying 1.5 million (link below) is unrealistic, and not doable for 99.9%+ of people. What I have described is not.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Hmm
Okay, but I'm not sure it's worth getting bent out of shape over. After all, there is an entire industry that caters to nervous people with money. This shouldn't be news to anyone, since we are all constantly bombarded with their ads.

The good news is that adcoms are well aware of the resource disparity, and it is certainly taken into account during application reviews. How else do you explain average stats for URM matriculants being below those of other groups? I'm sure their personal statements and essays are less polished than those with thousands of dollars to spend on consultants. So what? They end up being accepted right alongside those who spent thousands of dollars to get to the same place.

Just being on SDN and knowing enough to have a decent application means that you have beaten the odds. No use whining about the fact that those with resources use them. With any luck, your kids will do the same, and it will do as little to boost their applications as it does now for those with money. :cool:
I don't think adcoms do enough to account for low-SES unless they also happen to be URM. Low-SES ORMs whose parents attended college in a foreign country (so they can't even claim to be first gen, and foreign colleges don't have the same income potential in the USA) tend to be in an especially unfortunate situations.

To be honest, though, using application services tends to give you a more direct advantage over your financial peers more than any other group, in my opinion, as your application is more directly comparable to theirs. Many of my friends used application services, but many also didn't. Adcoms have no way of knowing who did and who didn't. It's unfortunate, but if you have the funds (whether personally or family-wise) then I definitely recommend a 1k stipend set aside for application review on an hourly basis. Write all of your primary and secondary essays first, then get a final check.

To be honest, though, using application services tends to give you a more direct advantage over your financial peers more than any other group, in my opinion, as your application is more directly comparable to theirs. Many of my friends used application services, but many also didn't. Adcoms have no way of knowing who did and who didn't. It's unfortunate, but if you have the funds (whether personally or family-wise) then I definitely recommend a 1k stipend set aside for application review on an hourly basis. Write all of your primary and secondary essays first, then get a final check.
If you say so. Do you REALLY think adcoms can't tell by a quick glance whose application was prepared with the help of a paid service and whose wasn't? If that's true, then what are you really getting for your money? :)

Keep in mind, all adcoms literally see thousands upon thousands of these every year. Consultants all give basically the same advice to basically all of their clients. I promise you the resulting essays look similar. @gyngyn @LizzyM @Goro @gonnif -- Am I off the mark here?

I'm very happy that you received perceived value for your $1K. That's all that really matters, and why I recommended it to OP under the circumstances. But I honestly don't believe it provides the boost you and your friends seem to think it does. Certainly not for most people. The success of the thousands upon thousands of people who either don't have the funds or don't see the need to make the investment proves my point.

Every year we have irate parents contact us when their child is not interviewed. Remarkably some of them freely disclose that they "know" it was an excellent application because they paid 4K for it!
LOL. My question is a bit different -- in general, can you tell which ones are bought and paid for and which ones aren't? I'd imagine the work product of the consultants is so polished, and so similar to each other, that you can spot it from a mile away. Am I dreaming, or is this true?

LOL. My question is a bit different -- in general, can you tell which ones are bought and paid for and which ones aren't? I'd imagine the work product of the consultants is so polished, and so similar to each other, that you can spot it from a mile away. Am I dreaming, or is this true?
Without a previous sample of writing it may be hard to tell.
It can become evident when the voice in the secondary is entirely different than the PS, though.

It can become evident when the voice in the secondary is entirely different than the PS, though.
Then I guess I'm more than a little naive. I figured the consultants worked off templates, or otherwise used the same script to modify whatever is given to them to review, and that the resulting final product would look similar enough that you'd recognize it without reference to what the applicant's writing would look like without it. Plus, I figured all the consultants are selling basically the same thing, so you'd then have a multiplier effect across all the different services.

In any event, do you disagree that they are mostly selling anxiety relief as opposed to actually altering outcomes for their clients?

Then I guess I'm more than a little naive. I figured the consultants worked off templates, or otherwise used the same script to modify whatever is given to them to review, and that the resulting final product would look similar enough that you'd recognize it without reference to what the applicant's writing would look like without it. Plus, I figured all the consultants are selling basically the same thing, so you'd then have a multiplier effect across all the different services.

In any event, do you disagree that they are mostly selling anxiety relief as opposed to actually altering outcomes for their clients?
There was a cycle when I saw the same Thanksgiving theme repeated a handful of times...
In the examples I'm aware of, the $ was entirely wasted (unless the applicant truly could not put a subject, object or verb together in a sentence).

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Consultants absolutely do not work off templates and they don't 'write' your essays. The 'good ones' just know how to point a student with an otherwise extremely boring and fortunate upbringing into an essay that is mildly interesting and will at the bare minimum not be negative.

I have many peers who work with consultants with great records. I myself do not have the funds but said peers have essentially told me it amounts to bouncing ideas off of a reasonably intellectual non-premed and non-family member to develop an outline, and then constant cycles of submitting and revising and submitting and polishing.

The end result is a decent essay. I was told that the first few essay outlines/ideas that they presented to consultants were immediately vetoed for either commonality or because it's straight up bad. I would say this amounts to probably tens of hours gained...like at least in my position I remember spending a month straight writing countless drafts before I actually wrote an essay, which itself turned out to be bad and I had to re-do it all over again but this time I used writing resources offered by my uni (premed advisor).

Also off note, after re-reading my PS for interviews, it is just straight up bad and I have to question both why I submitted it and why my peers let me submitted it (LOL). I don't think anyone actually read it because there is actually just no way...

• Haha
Also off note, after re-reading my PS for interviews, it is just straight up bad and I have to question both why I submitted it and why my peers let me submitted it (LOL). I don't think anyone actually read it because there is actually just no way...
17 IIs - I'm sure you are just being modest, or else are mega hyper critical. :)

17 IIs - I'm sure you are just being modest, or else are mega hyper critical. :)
Eh, not really...it sucks. I just think other aspects of my application made my PS trivial; my secondaries were also exponentially better. For some reason I decided to write my PS in some sort of weird prose and borderline stream of consciousness with only 2 sentences relating to a brief encounter during medicine (scribing).

I wrote it in January/Feb and didn't really touch it since, as I was pre-writing most secondaries so I could submit within a couple or 3 days with high quality and also took my MCAT in April so things were tight with time if I wanted to submit week 1.

Either 17 schools really want to waste an interview slot on the weirdo who wrote an avantgarde PS or you've written the AMCAS equivalent of Ulysses and all the med schools adcoms want to meet you.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Eh, not really...it sucks. I just think other aspects of my application made my PS trivial; my secondaries were also exponentially better. For some reason I decided to write my PS in some sort of weird prose and borderline stream of consciousness with only 2 sentences relating to a brief encounter during medicine (scribing).

I wrote it in January/Feb and didn't really touch it since, as I was pre-writing most secondaries so I could submit within a couple or 3 days with high quality and also took my MCAT in April so things were tight with time if I wanted to submit week 1.

So teach us more about this 'weird prose' and 'borderline stream of consciousness' style of writing bc clearly adcoms like it much better then the garbage writing style I submitted and I'm sure many of us would love to take notes for next year 🙃

Reactions: 3 users
So teach us more about this 'weird prose' and 'borderline stream of consciousness' style of writing bc clearly adcoms like it much better then the garbage writing style I submitted and I'm sure many of us would love to take notes for next year 🙃
Not going to pretend like it was good; URM+strong research+x factor probably made my PS a nonfactor as long as it was not literally a red flag.

I also know it was bad because no interviewer has commented on it yet, despite it usually being a big point for 'personal stories/development' during interviews (from what I've heard) but my secondaries have been commented on a lot.

I'm sure it is interesting to read, though. It kind of sounds like a long cars passage. Wait...

The first question I ask people with this type of problem is "How many times did you proofread your PS?" Did you have other people look at it, etc. The steps to medical school admissions screening (in order) are:
1) MCAT/GPA--depends on the school, but sometimes a high MCAT can make up for a low GPA
2) PS
3) LoRs
4) ECs
5) Other stuff, including personal connections

doglova said:
Try utilizing your university's writing center/academic counseling center for help with this type of problem

gyngyn said:
Building off of this--be sure that your interview answers match your voice in your secondaries/PS

GOOD LUCK!!! 😁

Last edited:
Not a high stat applicant. Good gpa (3.8+), average mcat (510), with above average ECs, excellent/good LOR, good essays (had them read multiple times) and submitted early (submitted all secondaries end of June or early July) with 0 ii and 1 rejection.

Should I be concerned considering I submitted very early? (TMDSAS)