High stats applicant disappointed by interview invitations. What did I do wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of wasting time seeking validation from strangers on forums, time should and could be better spent preparing and turning the "few" interviews they were lucky enough to receive into acceptances to avoid being a re applicant. No point in stressing over hypotheticals, Just my honest opinion.

this whole website is dedicated to people "wasting time" seeking validation from strangers. To imply that by OP asking this she/he is taking time away prepping for interviews is just plain stupid. You're gaslighting someone and invalidating their perfectly reasonable feelings of disappointment from what they hoped their cycle would be like. there is literally nothing wrong with what OP posted. we all stress about hypotheticals whether due to apps or anything else in life. its human nature. just let the person get their answer and vent

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree with you 100%. I too cringe when I see these unnecessary criticisms, holier than thou attitudes, and rantings against entitlements. Your statement above, which I have bolded is very meaningful, and extremely solid, straight forward advice.

exactly. if someone posted I have 4.0/528 and no top20 love when I deserved it and im being robbed of the path im meant to be on that would be obvious entitlement. this isn't what the majority of these posts end up being like

Reactions: 1 user
First, 8 II's is something to be very proud of so yay you :soexcited:How were your LORs and your essays? In most of my interviews, I got comments about the strength of my writing more than anything else. That can play a role + this seems to be a pretty competitive cycle. I think it is okay to be disappointed, but the cycle isn't over and I think you are doing more than fine so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with you 100%. I too cringe when I see these unnecessary criticisms, holier than thou attitudes, and rantings against entitlements. Your statement above, which I have bolded is very meaningful, and extremely solid, straight forward advice.
Sad part is some adcoms also engage in those criticisms and that encourages others to join.

Reactions: 1 users
TBH, it's not the wording, it's the lack of humility in the post - i.e., look at my stats, where are my T10 and T20 IIs? Ironically, you answered your own question in your OP. "I understand lots of people are more competitive than me." Highly competitive process + lots of candidates more competitive than you = few IIs. And, 8 IIs is way above average, as are your stats. So, no matter how you word it, the OP is whiny and entitled.
Frankly, that language is very rude.

Frankly, that language is very rude.
Okay, and don't get me wrong, because everyone, including you, is entitled to an opinion, but to many people who worked as hard or harder than OP and have zero IIs to date, the entire thread is very rude.

Okay, and don't get me wrong, because everyone, including you, is entitled to an opinion, but to many people who worked as hard or harder than OP and have zero IIs to date, the entire thread is very rude.

Nothing about the thread is rude. You’re the one name calling and judging someone for having honest and real feelings of disappointment. It’s normal. Human nature. Stop projecting and let the person vent

Nothing about the thread is rude. You’re the one name calling and judging someone for having honest and real feelings of disappointment. It’s normal. Human nature. Stop projecting and let the person vent
On behalf of everyone who doesn't have 8 IIs and is disappointed that they don't have more, I respectfully disagree.

So because there’s people who are worse off than him/her that means he/she can’t feel disappointed? And if they do feel disappointment this means they’re “whiny and entitled”? Please tell me you can see how stupid that argument is

On behalf of everyone who doesn't have 8 IIs and is disappointed that they don't have more, I respectfully disagree.

So because there’s people who are worse off than him/her that means he/she can’t feel disappointed? And if they do feel disappointment this means they’re “whiny and entitled”? Please tell me you can see how stupid that argument is

Nope, I don't see it. I must be very stupid. The thread isn't "I'm sad I only have 8 IIs. Please indulge me while I vent." It's "I have high stats and only 8 IIs, including 1 T10 and 1 T20. What's wrong with my app?" That's whiny and entitled, apparently not to you, but to me. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

• Hmm
Nope, I don't see it. I must be very stupid. The thread isn't "I'm sad I only have 8 IIs. Please indulge me while I vent." It's "I have high stats and only 8 IIs, including 1 T10 and 1 T20. What's wrong with my app?" That's whiny and entitled, apparently not to you, but to me. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

Lol your logic needs some work but ok. All this does is contribute to the toxicity of these forums

• Love
  • Haha
As my signature shows, I have a LM of about 79 (522 MCAT, 3.97 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA) and of 43 secondaries I've gotten 8 II's so far, from a mix of schools but only one T10 and one T20. I'm white, upper-middle class, and a PA resident. I have 500 hours of clinical volunteering, 100 non-clinical, 1500 research. I've seen lots of other applicants with similar stats get a way higher proportion of interview invites than me so far, and even applicants with lower stats doing better than me.

So I guess I just want to find out if my failure to get more and better II's is due to a red flag: perhaps bad LOR, or something off-putting in my PS or another part of my application? If it's just that my application isn't very good that's fine, I understand lots of people are more competitive than me, I'm just wondering if there's something crippling in my application that I'm not aware of.

I understand that you think you should get a bunch more interviews, and the fact that you can't figure out what went wrong bothers you. However, it already happened. Nothing you can do about it now.

Knock your interviews out of the park.

A letter writer’s purpose it to evaluate you and had nothing to do with confirming any activities on EC. That ridiculous myth persists and whoever told you that requires a cranial-rectalectomy. Unfortunately that appears to be endemic across this population and may not be covered as a pre-existing condition
Oof. Ty for the answer!! I am glad to hear more points of view than the small circle of people I have asked irl. so TY!

Closing thread as OP got the answer(s) + more that they were looking for and this is now devolving.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.