Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

High Yield Biochemistry

Discussion in 'Step I' started by cmycburkitt, Jul 24, 2006.

1. cmycburkitt

cmycburkitt Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Has anyone used HY Biochemistry and thought it was enough for the biochem part on the boards? I've heard that the Kaplan Biochem book was awesome but since I'm running short on time, I was wondering if it would be a waste of time to read HY biochem or should I just stick to the Kaplan book?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bono

Bono Member

The only thing i liked about this book was the vitamin section and maybe some of the molecular stuff but thats about it. First Aid covers the rest of it. It is a really easy read. If your reading Kaplan you should be more then ready to go.

Bono

4. D30417995

D30417995 Member

Medical Student
    Have you used Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochem? I think it's an excellent book.

By the way, for those who've done Step 1 already, do you think using Lippincott's alone would be sufficient for doing well on the biochem portion of Step 1? The reason I ask this is because I'm a first year med student (of a 6-year undergrad program) in Australia wanting to try the USMLE, and we've covered over half of Lippincott's Biochem in just over a week, and will most likely finish the whole thing in the next few days. :scared: That's why I'm wondering if the Lippincott's only represents the minimum biochem knowledge that a med student should know.

I'm unable to buy the BRS/HY biochem here (I guess they're mainly for American students?) Are they more detailed than Lippincott's?

Thanks a lot!

5. hudsontc

hudsontc Attending

What worked for me was supplementing First Aid's biochemistry with the material in High Yield's Cell and Molecular Biology. Knowing those two sources very well bumped my scoring (in this particular area) to the upper ranges. Don't waste your time memorizing pathways.

6. Rogue_Leader

Rogue_Leader Silent Sentinel

Resident [Any Field]
    Good advice with one caveat. Carbohydrate metabolism pathways are fairly high yeild in terms of USMLE questions. Espically in terms of which enzymes are reversible and which ones aren't (important in gluconeogenesis), glycogen metabolism disorders which are better understood by knowing pathways, and where fructose and galactose enter the pathways (and the pathologies of when their enzymes are deficient). Second, which enzymes use the B vitamins as cofactors, that's another fun biochemical pathway question. Also, the effect of alcohol on gluconeogenesis.

7. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician

Attending Physician
    I think Lippincott should be more than sufficient for Biochem, but will not cover things like Molecular Biology (which if I recall is covered a little bit) in enough depth.

I'm sure Lippincott is more in depth than HY and is probably more detailed than BRS.