cmycburkitt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Has anyone used HY Biochemistry and thought it was enough for the biochem part on the boards? I've heard that the Kaplan Biochem book was awesome but since I'm running short on time, I was wondering if it would be a waste of time to read HY biochem or should I just stick to the Kaplan book?

Bono

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2004
Visit site
Status
cmycburkitt said:
Has anyone used HY Biochemistry and thought it was enough for the biochem part on the boards? I've heard that the Kaplan Biochem book was awesome but since I'm running short on time, I was wondering if it would be a waste of time to read HY biochem or should I just stick to the Kaplan book?
The only thing i liked about this book was the vitamin section and maybe some of the molecular stuff but thats about it. First Aid covers the rest of it. It is a really easy read. If your reading Kaplan you should be more then ready to go.

Bono

D30417995

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Have you used Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochem? I think it's an excellent book.

By the way, for those who've done Step 1 already, do you think using Lippincott's alone would be sufficient for doing well on the biochem portion of Step 1? The reason I ask this is because I'm a first year med student (of a 6-year undergrad program) in Australia wanting to try the USMLE, and we've covered over half of Lippincott's Biochem in just over a week, and will most likely finish the whole thing in the next few days. :scared: That's why I'm wondering if the Lippincott's only represents the minimum biochem knowledge that a med student should know.

I'm unable to buy the BRS/HY biochem here (I guess they're mainly for American students?) Are they more detailed than Lippincott's?

Thanks a lot!

About the Ads

hudsontc

Attending
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2002
Michigan
What worked for me was supplementing First Aid's biochemistry with the material in High Yield's Cell and Molecular Biology. Knowing those two sources very well bumped my scoring (in this particular area) to the upper ranges. Don't waste your time memorizing pathways.

Rogue_Leader

Silent Sentinel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hudsontc said:
Don't waste your time memorizing pathways.
Good advice with one caveat. Carbohydrate metabolism pathways are fairly high yeild in terms of USMLE questions. Espically in terms of which enzymes are reversible and which ones aren't (important in gluconeogenesis), glycogen metabolism disorders which are better understood by knowing pathways, and where fructose and galactose enter the pathways (and the pathologies of when their enzymes are deficient). Second, which enzymes use the B vitamins as cofactors, that's another fun biochemical pathway question. Also, the effect of alcohol on gluconeogenesis.

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
GMT+9
Status
Attending Physician
D30417995 said:
By the way, for those who've done Step 1 already, do you think using Lippincott's alone would be sufficient for doing well on the biochem portion of Step 1? The reason I ask this is because I'm a first year med student (of a 6-year undergrad program) in Australia wanting to try the USMLE, and we've covered over half of Lippincott's Biochem in just over a week, and will most likely finish the whole thing in the next few days. :scared: That's why I'm wondering if the Lippincott's only represents the minimum biochem knowledge that a med student should know.

I'm unable to buy the BRS/HY biochem here (I guess they're mainly for American students?) Are they more detailed than Lippincott's?

Thanks a lot!
I think Lippincott should be more than sufficient for Biochem, but will not cover things like Molecular Biology (which if I recall is covered a little bit) in enough depth.

I'm sure Lippincott is more in depth than HY and is probably more detailed than BRS.

About the Ads