High yield tips for internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soulofmpatel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To an individual such as myself who will be starting intership in a few months, what are some quick and simple but very important tips for surviving and having a great year?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of mantras that I have repeated to myself at my lowest points over the past year:

1. They can't stop the clock.
2. Morning always comes.
3. This too shall pass.
4. My self-worth is not reflected by how a particular attending or senior resident chooses to express their own personal neurosis. i.e., sometimes it's best to just walk away and say "f*** off" under your breath. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

A couple of mantras that I have repeated to myself at my lowest points over the past year:

2. Morning always comes.
3. This too shall pass.
4. My self-worth is not reflected by how a particular attending or senior resident chooses to express their own personal neurosis. i.e., sometimes it's best to just walk away and say "f*** off" under your breath. Don't let the bastards grind you down.

ha...thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Be as nice as you can be, but be prepared to piss people off when it's necessary for patient care.

Listen to the nurses. Then do the right thing, even if it isn't what the nurse wants. Always talk to the nurse respectfully and let them know why you are doing what you are doing instead of what they want. If it involves an issue of patient comfort (e.g., sleeping pills), offer to talk to the patient.

Always be professional. Speak in measured tones when there is conflict. Avoid conflict when possible, but when not just stay professional.

No matter how busy or overwhelmed you are, no matter how angry you are at your seniors or attendings or the nurses or the schedule, don't take it out on your patients or your family.

Don't shut off your phone or pager when you leave the hospital. Yes, you will get called on your time off, but it's really frustrating for the nurses when they can't get ahold of anyone, and dangerous for the patient when there is a half hour delay because the nurse tried paging you twice, waited 15 minutes before paging you again, then waited another 15 minutes before trying to figure out who else to call.

Go see the patient when called. Avoid knee jerk orders overnight (zofran is great for nausea, but please don't do it for a patient with a bowel obstruction... the next day, no one is going to accept 'it was a cross cover' as an excuse).

RN wanting the patient to go to the unit is an indication for unit transfer. Why? Because while from a doctor level it might not be an ICU patient, if the RN has 4-8 other patients who are not being cared for because of the level of nursing care required, there is a problem. Just be very specific when you call your senior about why you want to transfer the patient ("After speaking to the charge nurse and the bedside nurse, it's become clear that the level of nursing care required excedes the ability of this unit -- in particular, X, Y, and Z.").

Call your seniors. Any time you call your senior, write in the chart a SOAP note which describes the patient's situation that prompted the call, and in the plan section documents that the plan was discussed with "Dr. White, senior surgical resident on cal" "Dr. Blue, attending of record."

If you are responsible for assuring blood availability for the OR, call the blood bank the night before and document in the chart "Spoke with Ms. Red of the blood bank, who stated that two units of packed red blood cells and four units of FFP would be available for the operating room tomorrow". This will save you much heartbreak.

DO NOT SIGN OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF A CODE. It sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised what people do in the age of the eighty hour work week. If you need to, talk to your senior and say "I'll be in late tomorrow, I have a patient who was actively coding and stayed late." or "I'm going to be over 80 hours, is there a day I can come in late or leave early this week?"

Try not to sign out unstable patients who lack a plan. See above for strategies for doing this within the 80 hour work week. As strict as one must be in following these rules, there is sufficient flexibility in the rules to prevent you from really having to do this. The first time one of your co-interns signs out a crashing patient that you don't know at all, and you don't get a plan because one hasn't been decided on yet, and you are covering 20 of your own team's sick patients... you'll understand the problem. It's dangerous for the patient, and frustrating for you.

Don't screw over your co-interns. Don't do it with the schedule, don't do it with leaving early or coming in late. If there are two of you on a team, help each other out -- yes you can get away with doing less work since the other guy will pick up the slack, but it's poor form.

Be nice to the NPs and PAs. They will be helpful. When they are lazy or dumb, just ignore them and make sure your patients get the care they should. Even if the NP/PA is "doing everything" realize that as the intern you are expected to know everything going on with your patients.

If you see consults as an intern, be a polite consultant. Don't try to "block" consults.

Follow up on studies and tests -- if your resident or attending tells you to get a CT scan on Mrs. Jones, you should know the results, or if the results aren't back yet where we are in the process ("CT is done but not read" ["have you looked at it?" "Yes, and I thought I saw ____ but I'm not sure"], "She's scheduled to go down at 3 p.m."].

Write everything down. You will forget. If you don't forget now, you'll forget later.

Keep a good list -- test results, where your patient is, etc.

Best,
Anka

Anka,
Great post. Thanks for your advice.
I was/am starting to get nervous about July. Your scenarios help me to realize, though, that I can do it...It is just really helpful for me to learn several specific expectations before I arrive.
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a thoughtful post.
- TMZ

TMZ, there's a lot of stress right before you start. The night before I started I barely slept, and I was so anxious my first day I couldn't even remember stuff I knew cold two weeks prior. Once you get through the first two weeks, you're going to feel a lot better. It's a great year. Challenging, but it definitely is what makes you a doctor.

Best of luck,
Anka

most conflicts you may encounter with patients/nursing staff, etc are because of lack of communication. take the time to educate/update the patient, and involve the nurse with the plan, involving them as part of the team.

Great post! I too am starting to get nervous. Thanks so much!

sounds like most issues are interpersonal ones. maybe med schools should mandate courses that teach students about this area. and not jus some generic course, but something like "Interpersonal Residency Studies"

sounds like most issues are interpersonal ones. maybe med schools should mandate courses that teach students about this area. and not jus some generic course, but something like "Interpersonal Residency Studies"

It wouldn't work. We already waste enough time in medical school with classes that do no good. If you've got a personality disorder when you start school, you'll have a personality disorder when you're a doctor.

Sometimes it is a matter of communication, and the problem is on the side of the intern/resident, but sometimes the problem is on the side of the patient, the family and/or the nurse or other hospital staff member having totally unrealistic expectations of the resident. If the intern/resident is covering for 40 patients, and admitting 5 or 6 more new or transfer patients, the intern/resident cannot spend 30 or 40 minutes with a stable crosscover patient's family discussing the plan of care for a patient that is not eve her patient (just covering for some other doc), and cannot always immediately come to the bedside to sign paperwork for the nurse that is nonurgent and can wait for another hour.

Actually, med schools do train students in communication. We had a standardized patient exam with someone who was angry and had to learn how to calm the person down and explain things, etc. One med school also got a theater professor to come and do a workshop on how to present oneself to others in a way that you'll come across well and get a positive response.

1) Learn to priortize - Of course you won't have the skillset to do this perfectly the first day, but you'll quickly drown in incoming work if you don't have some kind of system. Consults and orders first. Documentation is important, but it can wait.

2) Treat emergencies like emergencies, everything else has its place- Despite the media dramatization, very few events qualify as real emergencies - but they do exist. If you recognize the crumping patient and escalate quickly, then that's all you can do.

3) Know your nurses - As an intern you spend the most face time with the nurses, and this is when they form their opinion of you. Nursing quality is extremely variable, some are the benevolent goddesses of medicine while others are simply awful. Become best friends with the good one and they will look out for you. As a third year I still elicit advice from the smart ones.

4) Diplomatic tone - Depending on the setting you're in, you may be amazed at how confrontational/defensive some people are. I've learned that a good way to deal with these people is to remember that you're an adult - even if the other party insist on behaving like a grumpy 6 year-old. I remember multiple times as a 25 year-old intern, I had to be the grownup when talking to a woman in her 50's. Even as off-putting as these people are, it's still important to listen and not get dragged into an argument. Just because she's a evil, mean old harpy doesn't mean she isn't right.

5) Utilize your upper levels - There are going to be many things that are impossible for you to know about unless you have direct experience with the situation. That's where a good senior can really make the rotation. The prerequisite being of course, that you have a good senior. The people in your class that are crappy interns will probably be crappy seniors too.

6) Checkout technique - When I look back on bad situations where I really didn't know WTF was going on, it was invariably on patients that had been checked out to me as "nothing to do". Sometimes this is inevitable as patients can rapidly go down, but this actually pretty rare. Residents must rely on each others assessments since no one has the time to go reevaluate all 40-80 of the their crosscover patients -make sure yours are are either "tucked in" or have an action plan. Do not checkout consults, this is a serious douchebag move as it forces the resident to answer a lot of questions on a patient they know nothing about. If you check out things like labs or imaging, have a plan to go along with the results.

7) Education - Teaching is a huge part of our job, whether its med students, patients, family members or nurses. If you come across someone who's resistant to teaching, you have to decide one of two things: stupid or apathetic. Stupid isn't so bad, you just have to reapproach the situation in a novel way until you get your point across. Conversely, no physician in the history of medicine has ever come up with a cure for apathy. You often can't reason with that noncompliant patient or lazy nurse and just have to accept defeat and move on. Your time is important too.

3) Know your nurses - As an intern you spend the most face time with the nurses, and this is when they form their opinion of you. Nursing quality is extremely variable, some are the benevolent goddesses of medicine while others are simply awful. Become best friends with the good one and they will look out for you. As a third year I still elicit advice from the smart ones.

God knows this is the truth...

My hospital utilizes a rapid response team, in which an ICU nurse can come to the floor and assist the floor nurses with a pt. ANYONE can call the rapid nurse, and we have had interns/residents who have told us to call the rapid nurse to come assess the pt until he/she can get there.

It's kind of a polite way of saying "I can't get there right now, and I want an assessment from someone who has critical care skills, or that I might trust a bit more." Plus the Rapid nurse is guaranteed to be ACLS certified, and have critical care specialization certifications. (Those extra letters nurses love to put behind their names)

thanks oompaloopa. nice tips.

Well... as this time approaches - I read through the posts and they are really great - can someone address the issue of feeling as smart as a doorknob after a mind-numbing 4th year?

I having had a serious rotation since before Christmas - and since I am a psych resident starting on medicine - my last medicine rotation was in 3rd year - I'm super paranoid about not knowing ANYTHING about medications, pathophys and what to order - any advice on how to prepare when things are starting in just 2 weeks?

Well... as this time approaches - I read through the posts and they are really great - can someone address the issue of feeling as smart as a doorknob after a mind-numbing 4th year?

I having had a serious rotation since before Christmas - and since I am a psych resident starting on medicine - my last medicine rotation was in 3rd year - I'm super paranoid about not knowing ANYTHING about medications, pathophys and what to order - any advice on how to prepare when things are starting in just 2 weeks?
I'm reading my step-up to medicine all over again as well as the ICU Book

I'm one of those people who usually tells you to read the inside of your eyelids during this period. But something that might actually be worth going through (just so you know what you can and can't find there) is the MGH Pocket Medicine book. It's not a scintillating read but there's a lot of good info in it and you can probably get through it in a day.

In person, on the phone, in the chart...never say that you are "just" cross-covering. Once a patient was signed out to you, he/she is your patient. Act like it. That's not to say you should go changing everyone else's plan overnight or have detailed conversations with the family, but, when talking to other services, consultants or your staff, you'll be better off just quietly taking ownership. Staff love "discovering" that you were cross-covering and yet it wasn't instantly obvious.

2. Morning always comes.
3. This too shall pass.

Sometimes, however, their criticism is valid. If you're feeling this way on a frequent basis, you'd be wise to try to learn something.