Higher ranked private school or unranked state school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheNightingale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Going into this whole admissions process, I told myself I was going to be really practical about choosing a school and go to the cheapest one I got into. So many doctors I know have advised me to do this, and I already have a ton of student debt from going to an expensive undergrad. I didn't want to make the same mistake with med school because everyone tells us: where you go doesn't matter.

Well that being said, I thought I was going to a state school (Upstate), which would cost me about 45k per year total (COA). But today I found out that I got into the University of Rochester, a school I absolutely love and whose teaching style I think is just fantastic. Rochester costs about 65K per year though...

I suddenly don't know what to do! I haven't gotten my financial aid package from UR yet, but I'm not sure they'll give me anything but loans. My parents are in the 50-60k income range and I suspect that's probably too high to qualify for much need-based aid.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm interested in some pretty competitive specialties at the moment, so I want to give myself the best chance at doing well and I know I might have a slightly better shot at that coming from a school like Rochester. But I also have so much debt already that I'm scared to pick a more expensive school. Furthermore, I don't want to pigeonhole myself into such a huge amount of debt that I end up feeling like I can't afford to go into a lower paying specialty or something.

I don't want to be irresponsible, but it's hard to tell what the right thing to do here is. Should I just stay the course and go with my state school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the answer is probably yes :(

Do your parents make 50-60k total, or 50-60k each? If it's total, you might get some need based aid, because that is pretty low even if you don't have siblings.

I can definitely understand your dilemma. I interviewed at Rochester, and it was a wonderful place. It's up to you, and you should probably take into consideration your debt from ugrad. Is UofR worth an extra 20k/year (more when interest is taken into account)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do your parents make 50-60k total, or 50-60k each? If it's total, you might get some need based aid, because that is pretty low even if you don't have siblings.

That's total income, and I have 3 siblings, 2 of whom are in college. So perhaps that will help a bit. But you're right, 20k/year extra, plus interest... accruing while in school. It's probably not worth it :(

I guess I'll just have to pray for some decent aid from Rochester. I have no idea how good the school is about giving out need/merit based money but it sounded like the two were somewhat linked based on my conversations with the admissions office... Perhaps that will work in my favor since my stats all above the averages.

This is a personal choice that you have to make yourself. UofR is a great school, there will likely be more research opportunities there to set you up as a more competitive applicant, and more well connected faculty. Only you can know for yourself how comfortable you are with prioritizing debt minimization compared to "prestige", especially with something so currently intangible and fluid as your potential residency application/choice. Going to a "better" school is pointless if you don't have the drive and ambition to take advantage of those opportunities presented to you.

Common SDN doctrine says to prioritize minimizing cost/debt, but in my opinion money is not the all important factor. It should definitely be given heavy consideration of course, but shouldn't be thought of as militantly as SDN seems to see it.

Last edited:
I think there's a good chance you'll get financial aid that will make the cost of each school relatively the same, or at least less than a 20k difference. Cost and indebtedness are important factors to consider, but I would also advise choosing where you think you'll be happiest and be exposed to the most opportunities. Also, apply for as many scholarships as you can!

I think you have a good shot at getting need-based aid from UofR, so I would wait to see that. I live with just my dad who makes 50-60k, and I qualified for about 8k per year in grants from most schools.

UofR is a great school, and I don't blame you for having a tough time with this choice. I don't know anything about your state school, but I also would have been tempted to pay 20k/year more for UofR compared to my least expensive state school. To play the other side, though, if you end up at your state school, you will still have the opportunities necessary to get into competitive specialties.

when i was applying i set the limit at 20k altogether between a "top tier" and "low tier" school. negotiable based on cost of living, rent in the area, etc. 80k is a huge amount of money to pay and i don't think that it will be worth it. good luck op

This is a personal choice that you have to make yourself. UofR is a great school, there will likely be more research opportunities there to set you up as a more competitive applicant, and more well connected faculty. Only you can know for yourself how comfortable you are with prioritizing debt minimization compared to "prestige", especially with something so currently intangible and fluid as your potential residency application/choice. Going to a "better" school is pointless if you don't have the drive and ambition to take advantage of those opportunities presented to you.

Common SDN doctrine says to prioritize minimizing cost/debt, but in my opinion money is not the all important factor. It should definitely be given heavy consideration of course, but should be thought of as militantly as SDN seems to see it.

I agree. Though sometimes I imagine how insufferable it would be if instead the militant wisdom on SDN was just to go to the highest ranked school no matter what...:scared:

I think it's unfortunate that we attempt to boil this down to a few critical factors when it's a complex decision that really depends on each individual's interests, goals, and background. It's harder to build common wisdom on that kind of framework, but it would be more useful in my eyes. We must accept that what is best for me is not always what's best for you, and etc.

Go to upstate. (As much as it pains me to say this as a former syracusian). Not worth the extra cash to go to UofR.

I have been facing the same dilemma and for what it's worth, I chose UofR. I considered money, location, curriculum and my future goals which include research and working in the public sector and finally decided to go with the school that blew me away.

I don't think you can go wrong though, honestly. Upstate impressed me a great deal too.

Good luck!

go to UofR.

upstate's reputation has been sliding lately (cheating scandal then issues with LCME accredidation), match list is looking lackluster compared to other SUNYs and NY state is going broke so tuition has been skyrocketing (up $11k in 5 years). U of R has a solid reputation and would be worth the $20k/year investment

do yourself a favor and don't listen to SDNers who just mindlessly parrot the "advice" they've heard from random anonymous people on the internet