HIGHER score on april mcat than practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phatty925

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,
i'm wondering if any of you april mcat takers did better on the real test than your diagnostics...
i took aamc 4 last week and scored a 11,11,11 but today i took aamc 5 and scored a 9, 9, 10 (BS)...i missed a 10 in both verbal and PS by one question.
i'm very frustrated and at the same time nervous b/c the test is only 2 weeks away....i find it odd that my score decreased after one more week of studying.
any advice, comments? i'd also like to hear from any april test takers who did better on the real thing than their diags....

Members don't see this ad.

Phatty, I saw the exact same trend as you. Last week I took AAMC IV and scored 12, 11, 10. Today, AAMC V and had 10, 9, 11.
The 2 point drop in physics and verbal has got me worried.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not, but i noticed the vast majority of what I got wrong on the physics section were really silly mistakes. I had at least 4 computation errors (of all things, the math skills are crapping out under pressure), also had a couple questions were i read the stem wrong... one particular question that said inelastic, i read as elastic, of course got it wrong.

It's frustrating. If i can just get rid of the stupid errors I'll be in good shape. I'm feeling good about the science, now i just have to pull it all together.

I guess I'll know better after AAMC IV, which is next weekend.

I got the same composite scores on aamc 5 and 6, but when I took the real thing in April my score went up 5 total points.

score fluctuate. don't worry just try your best. that's all that matters. nobody cares how you did on your practice test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Street Philosopher
score fluctuate. don't worry just try your best. that's all that matters. nobody cares how you did on your practice test.

somebody cares or this thread wouldn't exist

Anyway, don't worry you guys. Some people get higher and some people get lower on the actual than on practice tests, but I think most people (myself included) score higher.

just relax. mainly what the variation in those two scores is showing you is that either a) you got too confident between tests and got sloppy, or more likely b) the second test emphasized something else you're not as good at. Just find out what your weak point was between the two and focus on it.

I'd say most people go up from last diag to real thing, at least among the people i know who took it.

myself: last aamc test 33, real thing 35

dont expect a monumental jump, but if you're relaxed you can score a little higher on the real thing.

I scored 2 points higher on my spring MCAT than I'd ever scored on a practice test. :)

Unfortunately, I also know many people who scored lower on the real thing. I guess you'll just have to wait and see how you do.