highlighting my non-medical interests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishtolive

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of those who have applied I'd like to know how to let the adcoms know my real story. As the name implies, I have been big game sportfishing my whole life and don't do it as something to be taken lightly. I'm talking 36 hours out on the Atlantic and tangling with 600 pound marlins (when we're lucky). I have fished around the world and though I know it seems odd, I consider fishing the most important aspect of my person. I only learn about life out there on the ocean...so how do I get the adcoms to ask about fishing when and if I get an interview next year? Do I put it in my essay, it seems I really can't ignore it completely.
sdm

Members don't see this ad.

I think you certainly could have it part of your AMCAS personal statement. And if you don't feel it proper to be there, you'll have plenty of other essays to write on the secondaries. And if you still don't feel like you can put it in your secondaries, the interviewers will give you plenty of chances to talk about your life experiences and I'm sure you'll get it in there.

If there is anything important you want the admissions committee to know, don't just hope they ask you at the interview. Be sure to somehow weave it into your answers. If fishing is your life, I'm sure you'll find plenty of places to talk about it. Good luck!

Marlin fishing sounds awesome. You should try your luck up here in Alaska sometime. Pulling in a 75 lb. King gets pretty exciting as well.

ABSOLUTELY put in in your personal statement somewhere!!! It make take some finesse to figure out how to work it in but it can be done. I mentioned the fact that I love to race and show Mustangs (as MY name implies) and it's been brought up at EVERY interview! They're looking for interesting people with unique hobbies...and who knows, you may just end up with an interviewer that LOVES to go deep-sea fishing on the weekends!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should start your personal statement with an exciting line about you struggling with a 600 pound fish! That's the hook...

Then the trick is to tie your love for fishing into your path to become a physician.

On my AMCAS essay, I started with a scene from a hospital I volunteered at in Costa Rica. Now granted this was a clinical experience, it was my way of introducing my love for travelling. I made sure they realized how much I love to explore new cultures and this was the way to do it!

So in a way you are very lucky to have such an interesting hobby. It serves as a very unique "hook" for your essay!

Good luck!

I agree with what everyone has said (but I just skimmed so I hope there was nothing bad written). This angle about you is too cool to not include in your application. May the Force be with You.