Hit the bottom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nwh170412

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep doing worse and worse in school. After 2 years, I decided to finally try my best instead of thinking about trying my best. This semester I only took 2 classes which is way underload, but I didn't want to risk further damaging my GPA without solving learning/mental issues first. My school has been very supportive as they see this kind of rough transition all the time.

But what do I do now? Obviously I have go to hit junior and senior year out of the park. I just don't know how to be positive and stay motivated after 2 years of average to below average grades. I see how well my friends are doing who went to other schools and I'm jealous. They are having fun and doing well. I knew at the time I would be in for a rough ride choosing my school because I never had study skills, but is it supposed to be this hard?

Members don't see this ad.

I think we need more details! How bad IS your GPA? If it's horrific, I'm guessing you should re-take and apply DO. Have you taken the MCAT? A stellar MCAT can remedy A LOT on your application (trust me on that! ;) ). 2 classes is a really, really small courseload... did you do decently in that? If you only took two classes and still under-performed, that's certainly cause for alarm.

Outside of the standard stats stuff, what are your ECs like? Have you been volunteering/giving of yourself/shadowing/figuring out what being a doctor is like? I don't see anything in this post indicating what you're truly worried about. Do you want to get into a med school and you're worried your low GPA will keep you out? If so, what does the rest of your application look like and how bad IS the GPA? Sorry I'm not being very helpful, but before we can help you, we need to better know the problem!

I think we need more details! How bad IS your GPA? If it's horrific, I'm guessing you should re-take and apply DO. Have you taken the MCAT? A stellar MCAT can remedy A LOT on your application (trust me on that! ;) ). 2 classes is a really, really small courseload... did you do decently in that? If you only took two classes and still under-performed, that's certainly cause for alarm.

Outside of the standard stats stuff, what are your ECs like? Have you been volunteering/giving of yourself/shadowing/figuring out what being a doctor is like? I don't see anything in this post indicating what you're truly worried about. Do you want to get into a med school and you're worried your low GPA will keep you out? If so, what does the rest of your application look like and how bad IS the GPA? Sorry I'm not being very helpful, but before we can help you, we need to better know the problem!
Yes, I took two non-science classes (2 and a half technically) and did very well. I did so to focus on mental health and just getting my **** together for the summer and next year. My GPA is 3.2 and my science GPA is a bit under 3.0. I have lots of classes to go, so I'm not concerned with repair that much, but I need to repair now and can't drop any more classes. I will retake after graduation. I get aid at a very expensive private school so my main concern is graduating and then I'll retake at my state university if my GPA is still bad/DO is the only way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering/clinical volunteering - lots.
Research - some + will continue
Shadowing - this summer
A few other things but that's the basics of it.

You will need to take heavy course loads to prove to the admission committees that you can succeed in medical school. Honestly, you need to start taking more classes sooner rather than later. Your recent good grades in non-science courses are great but.. medical school is nothing but science courses, and lots of them! I am concerned about your ability to take on the course-load after your difficulties in the first 2 years. A good hardship story can actually make you more appealing than the standard student, I can attest to that. But you MUST show them that you picked yourself up and excelled once you did. Not only prove to the adcoms, but prove to yourself you can do it..

In case you aren't aware, you should be aware that AMCAS, the M.D. application system, will average out any retakes you have done with your original grade before the retake. For instance if you got a D originally, then pulled off a B, they would average you to a C on the application. Your reported GPA by your college may not correspond with the AMCAS GPA. For the AACOMAS, or D.O. app system, you will be able to choose your highest grade even if a retake and use that in your GPA.

Best of Luck

You will need to take heavy course loads to prove to the admission committees that you can succeed in medical school. Honestly, you need to start taking more classes sooner rather than later. Your recent good grades in non-science courses are great but.. medical school is nothing but science courses, and lots of them! I am concerned about your ability to take on the course-load after your difficulties in the first 2 years. A good hardship story can actually make you more appealing than the standard student, I can attest to that. But you MUST show them that you picked yourself up and excelled once you did. Not only prove to the adcoms, but prove to yourself you can do it..

In case you aren't aware, you should be aware that AMCAS, the M.D. application system, will average out any retakes you have done with your original grade before the retake. For instance if you got a D originally, then pulled off a B, they would average you to a C on the application. Your reported GPA by your college may not correspond with the AMCAS GPA. For the AACOMAS, or D.O. app system, you will be able to choose your highest grade even if a retake and use that in your GPA.

Best of Luck
Thanks, I know. That's why I'm very concerned. I don't know how to handle tough course loads. I have never not taken science classes, just needed to step back.

When you're taking care of patients as a resident, could you imagine how badly you would feel if you couldn't handle the "case load." Or while in medical school, you pay oodles (this year our tuition is $45k) for classes and end up having to remediate class after class, and get kicked out because of it?

I'm probably coming across as a straight up dingus but trust me, the sooner you start thinking about this process maturely, the better you can retaliate. You MUST learn to prioritize your classes and work efficiently. I recommend getting with your professors at the beginning of the semester and explain your situation. See what they recommend you do to get the best grades in the class, they should be happy to help. Another possibility is to get with a pre-medical academic adviser (you should have one, if you don't then get one) and ask for their advice on studying techniques. But again, don't hesitate to start sooner rather than later because the more time you take the bigger the red flag is going to get.

When you're taking care of patients as a resident, could you imagine how badly you would feel if you couldn't handle the "case load." Or while in medical school, you pay oodles (this year our tuition is $45k) for classes and end up having to remediate class after class, and get kicked out because of it?

I'm probably coming across as a straight up dingus but trust me, the sooner you start thinking about this process maturely, the better you can retaliate. You MUST learn to prioritize your classes and work efficiently. I recommend getting with your professors at the beginning of the semester and explain your situation. See what they recommend you do to get the best grades in the class, they should be happy to help. Another possibility is to get with a pre-medical academic adviser (you should have one, if you don't then get one) and ask for their advice on studying techniques. But again, don't hesitate to start sooner rather than later because the more time you take the bigger the red flag is going to get.
I will and I'm taking summer classes so I need to learn ASAP. How big of a "red flag" was the fact that I underloaded this one time to refresh, assuming I do well from now on?

They will possibly ask you about it in your interview. You will have to explain... but if you are able to say that you kicked ass taking a large courseload every semester after that, then you will be able to give them objective information about your ability to succeed in medical school. That is all they want to know -- can you do well in medical school and do you care enough about medicine to enjoy a lifetime of it.