HIV positive and doctors..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leandrito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if out there are med students who are hiv positive?... i know someone who is in nursing school and he is positive.. and so far he is doing great..
The question is
Can someone who is HIV positive apply to med school and be a doctor ?...

anyone in that position and going to med school.. will be interesting to hear your story or you can private message me ..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do not have to disclose medical conditions, so you will be fine applying to med school. I don't really see any problem with practicing as a physician, as long as one maintains sterility like everyone else has to anyway.

Thanks for the response.. i know that some schools have you to say if you are and they change the curriculum of the program for those students who are positive... emory medical school has that policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if out there are med students who are hiv positive?... i know someone who is in nursing school and he is positive.. and so far he is doing great..
The question is

anyone in that position and going to med school.. will be interesting to hear your story or you can private message me ..
NOTE : I AM NOT POSITIVE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT BUT I AM VERY INTERESTING IN INFECTIONS DISEASES so HIV is one of my most favorite topics..

This is why we have a stigma about being HIV-positive. Defensive yelling at the mere thought that anonymous internet strangers might think your username belongs to someone with the virus.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response.. i know that some schools have you to say if you are and they change the curriculum of the program for those students who are positive... emory medical school has that policy.

How do they change it? Do they add safety courses or something?

I personally know people who are HIV+ and they live very normal lives. Obviously there's certain precautions but those are more pertaining to sex, needle use, etc. Not saying all + people will have their cd4 counts as well maintained though.

this is why we have a stigma about being hiv-positive. Defensive yelling at the mere thought that anonymous internet strangers might think your username belongs to someone with the virus.
+1

This is why we have a stigma about being HIV-positive. Defensive yelling at the mere thought that anonymous internet strangers might think your username belongs to someone with the virus.

Man, don't be so tough on the guy. Had he not put that, the thread would have been derailed by d-bags making jokes about him having the Hi5.

The question is

NOTE : I AM NOT POSITIVE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT BUT I AM VERY INTERESTING IN INFECTIONS DISEASES so HIV is one of my most favorite topics..

I don't know anyone who publicly states that they have HIV, but I do know 2 ob/gyns and 2 general surgeons that get tested every 3 months or so. They have all said that if they contract the virus they would retire. All are probably 50+ and could likely afford to retire.

I think it would be highly specialty dependent. If I was HIV+, I wouldn't think twice about going into FM, Peds, Psych, etc. I would probably shy away from surgical specialties. I realize the likelihood of transmission approaches nil, but I wouldn't be comfortable with the possibility of transferring it to a patient.

You are so wrong about what you are saying... This is why we have a stigma about being HIV-positive. Defensive yelling at the mere thought that anonymous internet strangers might think your username belongs to someone with the virus... i dont have any offensive yelling at the mere bla bla bla.... I do think it is an important topic and i was looking for feedback about it...so go get some fun in your body and then come and tell me this..:) god bless you CHILD..

x1000.

Stigma is bad but it's a good thing for people to be open about their HIV status. I have no problem with someone on this forum indicating whether or not they have HIV if it is relevant to the discussion.

You are so wrong about what you are saying... This is why we have a stigma about being HIV-positive. Defensive yelling at the mere thought that anonymous internet strangers might think your username belongs to someone with the virus... i dont have any offensive yelling at the mere bla bla bla.... I do think it is an important topic and i was looking for feedback about it...so go get some fun in your body and then come and tell me this..:) god bless you CHILD..

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)

Is English your first language?

First i want to apologize for what i said early today .. i shouldnt have disrespect or offend anyone.. i was just looking for some answers to my question and it pieced me off that they were taking me as an ignorant... i didnt want to be rude or whatsoever ... sorry..

First i want to apologize for what i said early today .. i shouldnt have disrespect or offend anyone.. i was just looking for some answers to my question and it pieced me off that they were taking me as an ignorant... i didnt want to be rude or whatsoever ... sorry..

is English your first language?

:laugh:

Edit: Post #9000!

Not anymore! Now its... OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It-s-over-9000-its-over-9000-29849302-496-370.jpg

Honestly, I'm not so sure about the stigma anymore. There may have been one years ago, but since HIV is now a pretty much non-fatal disease assuming you're on treatment, it's really left the public eye.

When South Park has an episode on the virus becoming pretty much irrelevant in the media, then you know it has to be true. As a current student, I've never heard of this come up.

Honestly, I'm not so sure about the stigma anymore. There may have been one years ago, but since HIV is now a pretty much non-fatal disease assuming you're on treatment, it's really left the public eye.

When South Park has an episode on the virus becoming pretty much irrelevant in the media, then you know it has to be true. As a current student, I've never heard of this come up.

That's not really what the stigma is about. It's more of a social stigma, like thinking an HIV+ person is a bad person for whatever reason. I'm from a pretty small, rural, conservative hometown, and while I do not hold those beliefs, I know many people from my area do, and it's sad. Some people I know would completely flip out if they found out their doctor was HIV+. I agree it's less of a problem now that people are more educated about HIV and there is much better treatment, but there are still places where the stigma and prejudice is strong.

That's not really what the stigma is about. It's more of a social stigma, like thinking an HIV+ person is a bad person for whatever reason. I'm from a pretty small, rural, conservative hometown, and while I do not hold those beliefs, I know many people from my area do, and it's sad. Some people I know would completely flip out if they found out their doctor was HIV+. I agree it's less of a problem now that people are more educated about HIV and there is much better treatment, but there are still places where the stigma and prejudice is strong.

Spot on.

Hello Leandrito
I AM HIV POSITIVE and so far very healthy... I was diagnosed two months ago and I am in nursing school... somewhere in the country. I am planning to be a nurse and going back to school to finish my requirements and apply to med school and be a doctor.. I would like to be pediatrician and maybe get a subspecialty in infections diseases... who better than me to tell someone around our age that HIV is nothing to be afraid of... I got it ,. its my life and the consequences of my actions. Once I become a Dr any adolescent that goes through what I am going through will look at me as an example that this is just something that doesn't stop you for making your dreams come true... I am very aware of the risks that I will face but as long as you follow universal precautions and you take care of yourself and the person that is in front of you (patient) there is nothing to be scared of. On the other hand, I wonder if anyone out there will stop being a doctor in you are in your first year of residency and by accident you get it.. NOOO this doesn't defines you.. you have something but you are better than that.. that's how I take the course of my life... I hope these answers your questions and may bring some others... I am an open book ..and I don't hide my status but I am very private when it comes to where to disclose it..

Thank you for sharing your story... I really appreciate it .. and i hope you get into med school and be one of the kind... you rock kid .. :) kudos for your courage and hang in there !!1

Dunno my school says if you are HIV positive it changes what you can or can't do as a doctor...

Hello Leandrito
I AM HIV POSITIVE and so far very healthy... I was diagnosed two months ago and I am in nursing school... somewhere in the country. I am planning to be a nurse and going back to school to finish my requirements and apply to med school and be a doctor.. I would like to be pediatrician and maybe get a subspecialty in infections diseases... who better than me to tell someone around our age that HIV is nothing to be afraid of... I got it ,. its my life and the consequences of my actions. Once I become a Dr any adolescent that goes through what I am going through will look at me as an example that this is just something that doesn't stop you for making your dreams come true... I am very aware of the risks that I will face but as long as you follow universal precautions and you take care of yourself and the person that is in front of you (patient) there is nothing to be scared of. On the other hand, I wonder if anyone out there will stop being a doctor in you are in your first year of residency and by accident you get it.. NOOO this doesn't defines you.. you have something but you are better than that.. that's how I take the course of my life... I hope these answers your questions and may bring some others... I am an open book ..and I don't hide my status but I am very private when it comes to where to disclose it..

Thank you for sharing your story... I really appreciate it .. and i hope you get into med school and be one of the kind... you rock kid .. :) kudos for your courage and hang in there !!1

The syntax is very similar...

hahaha you guys are too much.. i love spending time on here... yeah i have HIV and i have all the STDs .. Happy now.?...
dont you guys get notifications when someone writes in your posts.. I do and thats why i replied right away... so yeah the time stamps are almost the same...
I am cracking up now...

i know that some schools have you to say if you are and they change the curriculum of the program for those students who are positive
5l.jpg

x1000. Although I myself am from a large and very liberal city, the number of myths people still believe about the virus is truly astonishing, and people certainly still do believe that it is a "gay" or "African" disease. I've been volunteering for an HIV/AIDS support and prevention organization for a while and I've learnt that stigma can affect people living with HIV on many levels. At the level of an individual, disclosing one's HIV status is often emotionally difficult (think of starting a relationship with someone or discussing it openly in the workplace), and the pervasive use of terms like "clean" to refer to someone HIV- reinforces the idea that these people are "dirty." On a public health level though, criminal law (and the social stigma that shapes it) actually discourages people from getting tested after engaging in a high-risk activity, out of fear of legal prosecution for non-disclosure. So yes, huge advances have been made in the knowledge and treatment of HIV, but it is definitely too soon to say that the stigma around it has vanished.

You do not have to disclose medical conditions, so you will be fine applying to med school. I don't really see any problem with practicing as a physician, as long as one maintains sterility like everyone else has to anyway.
The disclosure of infectious diseases is required at many teaching facilities (hospitals).

The question is

Why do you ask? Why would it not be okay?

I was wondering what you are really interested in: the personal health of the HIV positive person, any bans in medical school/residency/licensing, attitudes, etc.

A favorite line that I read some time ago is from this website: http://bettyconfidential.com/ar/ld/...e-hiv-positive-women-share-their-stories.html

Interviewer: "What's something you wish everyone knew about people who are living with AIDS?"

Interviewee's answer: "We are you. You could be us. There is no difference. People living with HIV/AIDS haven't done anything wrong, or different, or dirty, or derelict..."

Last edited:
hahaha you guys are too much.. i love spending time on here... yeah i have HIV and i have all the STDs .. Happy now.?...
dont you guys get notifications when someone writes in your posts.. I do and thats why i replied right away... so yeah the time stamps are almost the same...
I am cracking up now...

You both talk about the process of going from nursing to medicine. You both are interested in infectious diseases but misspell it "infections diseases". It's INFECTIOUS. Your posts are the same. ;)

Thus, you are the same person.:oops:

It's so nice to see you being supportive of your alternate identity.

Son....I am dissapoint.

The plot thickens!

OP, you should have written your fake account posts in ALL CAPS, that way we would have never caught on.

Well you can call the medical schools or I think even aamc and ask about it

The disclosure of infectious diseases is required at many teaching facilities (hospitals).

I don't think HIV is an "infectious disease." Is it?

Google definitions of "infectious":

1. Liable to be transmitted to people, organisms, etc., through the environment.
2. Liable to spread infection.

And if HIV isn't "infectious," I suspect it may be illegal to ask. A consultation with a lawyer who specializes in HIPPA and privacy laws could confirm one way or the other.