HIV positive and doctors..

Started by leandrito
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think HIV is an "infectious disease." Is it?

Google definitions of "infectious":

1. Liable to be transmitted to people, organisms, etc., through the environment.
2. Liable to spread infection.

And if HIV isn't "infectious," I suspect it may be illegal to ask. A consultation with a lawyer who specializes in HIPPA and privacy laws could confirm one way or the other.

HIV is definitely an infectious disease. I suggest reviewing this Wikipedia article on Infectious diseases for a better understanding of the term http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_disease
 
HIV is definitely an infectious disease. I suggest reviewing this Wikipedia article on Infectious diseases for a better understanding of the term http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_disease

Thanks. I read the article and am glad I know that now.

Separately, I do wonder what the purpose of that infectious disease question is, and if it's legal? And if it is legal, do they keep that information confidential? How confidential? I can't imagine that an HIV positive doctor would have to tell his/her peers.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are certainly baby boomer doctors who have Hep C and aren't infecting their patients.

All those draft dodgers seized the opportunity to get wild while poor Americans were defending freedom overseas.