HMO PPO and how it impacts physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AKMCAT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give a summary on how HMO and PPO impact physicians. I understand the difference and restrictions; however, I'm not sure if either is necessarily good or bad for a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone has an interview coming up.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone give a summary on how HMO and PPO impact physicians. I understand the difference and restrictions; however, I'm not sure if either is necessarily good or bad for a physician.

Both lead to market failures (Pareto inefficiencies in which the overall utility of all parties could be increased with a different distribution of outcomes). HMO's/PPO's provide perverse economic incentives to physicians to under-provide care. As a pre-paid plan, the maximum profit a doctor can make comes from prescribing the least amount of care. This is in comparison to a fee-for-service system, which provides perverse incentives for doctors to over-prescribe care, as their maximum profit in this situation comes from prescribing the greatest amount of care.