Physician Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlaurel380

Reaction score
I understand that many DO schools prefer a physician letter of recommendation. I just don’t understand how a physician I have shadowed for a few weeks will able to provide an effective letter. Is this a step I should pursue or skip?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that many DO schools prefer a physician letter of recommendation. I just don’t understand how a physician I have shadowed for a few weeks will able to provide an effective letter. Is this a step I should pursue or skip?
A physician letter from a shadowing experience doesn't really hold much weight. There's only so much a physician can say about your ability to stand awkwardly in a corner for hours on end. It's just used to check off one more box on a list of requirements. See if you can obtain a letter from a physician that knows you better (like from scribing or volunteer experience). Otherwise get the shadowing letter and move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Whenever I write a LOR for someone for med school, I usually take them to lunch and spend an hour or so talking to them and getting to know them and learn about their backround. These are usually people who have sought me out as a faculty member at my school. I am able to offer some more insight than someone who had the student shadowing for a few weeks. At least that's what I tell myself.

I have a LOR from shadowing an MD Dermatologist for one full day after meeting him and pretesting him at an eye clinic I worked at. I was feeling the vibe and kindly asked at the end of the day with exactly what I was looking for and if he was willing. He gladly made a beautiful LOR even though I told him I only needed a short and sweet one as a formality for schools. I hadn't stayed in contact with the physicians I scribed with in the ED 4 years ago which would have been better but it checked the box and that is all I needed and the Dermatologist understood that. You definitely do not need anything spectacular, but have other good LORs that can speak for you if you get a LOR from a physician you shadowed for not long.