HMS Status Page Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NP, interview=january, status page= complete

Members don't see this ad.

GuyLaroche said:
This means I was rejected! Oh, well...

CarleneM, are you complete? 'Cause if you and Mateodaspy are incomplete then I am almost certain the theory is right. Now, I wish Runmimi would post her status.

nope, i'm incomplete. Again, its just a theory and I wouldn't take too much stock in it.

CarleneM said:
nope, i'm incomplete. Again, its just a theory and I wouldn't take too much stock in it.

This doesn't feel random. I think we might have cracked the code.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the sample size is too small, but as mateo pointed out, it seems like all NP/HSTers are listed as complete. This flies in the face of the incomplete=acceptance theory because NP/HSTers are most likely to get in since they basically have two independent chances.

Yeah, yeah I was complaining about overanalyzing...

davidus said:
I know the sample size is too small, but as mateo pointed out, it seems like all NP/HSTers are listed as complete. This flies in the face of the incomplete=acceptance theory because NP/HSTers are most likely to get in since they basically have two independent chances.

I am NP/HST. I hope you're right. Is Mateodaspy NP/HST as well? You are HST/NP, davidus, right?

davidus said:

for what it's worth, NP/HST interview, "incomplete" :confused:
i guess we'll have to wait

GuyLaroche said:
I am NP/HST. I hope you're right. Is Mateodaspy NP/HST as well? You are HST/NP, davidus, right?

Mateo and I are both NP only I believe

at the very least, if there is a direct correlation, we west coasters will already know what to expect before the mail arrives

Checkmate, what's your status if you don't mind sharing?

Hm...I'm still complete..but I applied NP/HST but interviewed only NP. :eek:

Could I suggest that someone who is incomplete call the admissions office to check it out..... the staff may be working overtime to get things ready by monday....and, hey it's a very reasonable inquiry. (FYI: I'm complete, NP)

CheckMate said:
Complete -- so my "explanation" may seem biased, but regardless of my status it seems to be the most plausible. If it's any consolation, I don't think I'll be accepted. One of my interviews didn't go as well as I wanted.

Speaking of which, did any of you completes or incompletes have 'not so great' interviews?

Another thing to consider is that I believe people who were rejected pre interview are still complete. An informal tally seems to show about as many incomplete folk as complete.

I thought my Harvard interviews went well, but then again, I thought I was rejected from Cornell for sure based on one amazingly bad interview, but I just received the "welcome to cornell" email. Who knows.

okay, so i just registered on SDN so that I could join this discussion... I am "incomplete" also, and it seems to me (please no one take offense at this) that the strongest people on this forum are often the incompletes. There are slightly more completes than incompletes, but of course the sample size is small. And still too high a proportion of incompletes to all be acceptances.

for what it's worth, I was just accepted at Columbia and Cornell, and have a 40+ mcat with 4.0 GPA at stanford.

This thread is making me nervous. I'm incomplete, NP only...I interviewed in December. Hopefully those who've majored in statistics can start to make sense of this:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am incomplete as well

Saddened said:
just a thought: harvard would want to change the status of the smaller group because it's less work for them... my guess is that incomplete = accepted.

Do you have access to inside info? Your join date and limited number of posts is curious. Then again, several people seem to have come out of the woodwork in this thread.

hey guys just curious. were all the people who are "incomplete" now "complete" at one point? i.e. their status has changed from complete to incomplete? is it at all possible that being incompl. includes not having been reviewed yet by the ad com and that hms hasn't updated the page from the last committee meetings?

Hey, I'm complete (interviewed for both NP and HST way back in Oct), but it says that they *still* haven't received my letters of rec.

gulbjmn said:
hey guys just curious. were all the people who are "incomplete" now "complete" at one point? i.e. their status has changed from complete to incomplete? is it at all possible that being incompl. includes not having been reviewed yet by the ad com and that hms hasn't updated the page from the last committee meetings?

I was complete as of mid-February.... so between then and now the adcom has met and decided on applications. So, they changed my status somewhere along the line. (I am now incomplete, NP only)

Checkmate--I wouldn't jump the gun because of your not-so-great interview. I'm incomplete and got so nervous in my second interview that I started telling the guy about how much it irks me that they don't have pickles at movie theatres in the Northeast like they do back in Texas. I'm fairly certain that's not a great way to get into Harvard:)

I'm definitely leaning towards incomplete=accepted, but just to play devil's advocate, what if it is only administrative and is related to finaid, specifically, if your FAFSA has been filed or not. I could imagine that, like your MCAT scores, they download FAFSA stuff periodically and it updates their database automatically. I'm complete, and filed FAFSA (and listed Harvard obviously) in early Feb.

Please let it be this because unlike most of you, I have no other acceptances to fall back on :scared:

FWIW, I had (at least what I thought to be) my best interviews at Harvard - 2 faculty interviewers (one a bigwig on the adcom) and they each lasted 1.5 hours+ ... The interview with the lady with the adcom let me stay there for a little over 2 hours (after we finished the 1hr15min interview, I saw patients with her and got a tour of the eye institute that she runs in Boston)

However, seeing as how there are so many completes and incompletes on both sides... I honestly don't know how to interpret the data. I wouldn't be too surprised, though, if one cohort (completes or incompletes) is, in fact, the group of hms acceptees since sdn probably tends to attract some of the more competitive applicants as compared to the general pool. Also, since Harvard accepts probably a third of people post-interview, it's not too ridiculous to assume that either side is the group of acceptees.

Graat said:
I'm definitely leaning towards incomplete=accepted, but just to play devil's advocate, what if it is only administrative and is related to finaid, specifically, if your FAFSA has been filed or not. I could imagine that, like your MCAT scores, they download FAFSA stuff periodically and it updates their database automatically. I'm complete, and filed FAFSA (and listed Harvard obviously) in early Feb.

Hmm...this may be true.

I submitted my FAFSA and listed Harvard as one of the schools. Did any "incomplete" people submit their FAFSA yet?

I know that I pulling at short straws b/c I'll probably get rejected, but I can hope, no? :)

Another quick q: how many NP & HST interviewees are listed as incomplete?

Thanks a bunch!!! And, of course, :luck: .

Tra La La said:
Hmm...this may be true.

I submitted my FAFSA and listed Harvard as one of the schools. Did any "incomplete" people submit their FAFSA yet?

I know that I pulling at short straws b/c I'll probably get rejected, but I can hope, no? :)

Another quick q: how many NP & HST interviewees are listed as incomplete?

Thanks a bunch!!! And, of course, :luck: .

My roommate's gf filed her FAFSA and is complete. My roommate did not file his FAFSA and he is complete.

Just to add to the data for statistical reasons.. haha

I'm NP interviewed early, listed as Complete still...
pretty qualified, in at several top 10 schools, but i know that's the case for everyone else HMS is considering too

Mateodaspy said:
My roommate's gf filed her FAFSA and is complete. My roommate did not file his FAFSA and he is complete.

Ugh...there goes that theory.

So, after much intensive thought and soul-searching..."incomplete"
=accepted.

Sorry to all you "completes," myself included.

Tra La La said:
Ugh...there goes that theory.

So, after much intensive thought and soul-searching..."incomplete"
=accepted.

Sorry to all you "completes," myself included.

Yup. I agree.
Dang. This sucks big hairy ass. Maybe there's a sliver of a chance that some completes are waitlisted.

I think it represents relationship status, and potential for happiness in relationships in the future. I'm incomplete in both the relationship world, and on the hms status page. oh well

Graat said:
Yup. I agree.
Dang. This sucks big hairy ass. Maybe there's a sliver of a chance that some completes are waitlisted.

you guys, don't jump to conclusions. this could be nothing. i am incomplete and i'm certainly not counting any chickens before they hatch (besides, i tend to think that incompletes=waitlists OR accepts since both would have to turn something in that could be tracked if they wanted to stay in the class or on the waitlist)

CarleneM said:
i tend to think that incompletes=waitlists OR accepts since both would have to turn something in that could be tracked if they wanted to stay in the class or on the waitlist

Therefore, "completes" = outright rejections. :(

I realize this against the current stream of thought, but could it be as simple the "completes" are ready to go in the mail, the "incompletes" still need a little more attention? I guess this would mean that, at some point, every applicant gets changed to incomplete and back to complete when they are done. Seems a little cumbersome, but who knows?

While I'm at it, does everyone have headings on the status page for "as of date (mine lists todays date), application certified (mine says yes), application finalized (mine says yes), letters of eval, and test scores"??

Hmmmm...

I agree with your hypothesis, CarleneM...that actually sounds the most reasonable. And maybe the people who are complete either just haven't yet been decided upon by the admissions committee or the secretary hasn't put their things together yet to be mailed out by Monday. It could totally just be an administrative thing.

All this worrying is driving me crazy, but I'm glad all of you are worrying with me!!! :p

Whitney said:
I realize this against the current stream of thought, but could it be as simple the "completes" are ready to go in the mail, the "incompletes" still need a little more attention? I guess this would mean that, at some point, every applicant gets changed to incomplete and back to complete when they are done. Seems a little cumbersome, but who knows?

Not possible.

"complete" = rejection. P < 0.01.

J/K! I know all of this is just speculation. I'm sure someone who is "incomplete" will call Monday morning and check this out.

Tra La La said:
Not possible.

"Incomplete" = rejection. P < 0.01.

Finally someone takes a hard stance!!! LOL!

Whitney said:
Finally someone takes a hard stance!!! LOL!

Oops...messed up my test groups.

I meant that "complete" = rejection. P < 0.01.

Same difference.

I detest the existence of this thread. ;) :thumbdown:

If it's true that their website is indicating admission/waitlist vs. rejection, it's pretty lame of them. But, I am loving the drama....... :scared:

Saddened said:
I detest the existence of this thread. ;) :thumbdown:

How else can we all be neurotic?

It's a sunny and really comfortable 70 degree afternoon in CA. I could be out exercising or completeting one of the many many tasks that have accumulated on my ever growing "to-do list".

But I think my time is better spent here on this SDN thread. :)

It's implausible that it’s either coincidence or random that on the last weekday before the day that the decisions are mailed, HMS changes the status pages. I agree with the incomplete=accepted or waitlist theory because: (1) HMS needs nothing more from rejected applicants but accepted applicants need to send in a form accepting the acceptance and WL applicants need to send in a form agreeing to remain on the WL. (2) It makes more sense that HMS would change the approximately 300 status pages of accepted/WL applicants than that of the over 5000 rejected applicants. (3) Pre-interview rejected students (Bunnyhop’s friend) still show that they are complete. (4) Several “superstars” (palmiscious, Mateo, Carlene) are incomplete. (5) More than half of interviewees will probably be rejected and so far, the count on SDN is 18 complete (60%) and 12 incomplete (40%) – last year HMS interviewed 665 and accepted about 250 and, if WL were (guessing) approximately 50, then about 45% of interviewees were accepted/WL last year.

Sparky Man said:
If it's true that their website is indicating admission/waitlist vs. rejection, it's pretty lame of them. But, I am loving the drama....... :scared:

This is way better than any damn soap opera! :laugh:

So much drama, uncertainty, and speculation in one place. What's going to happen next?

Stay tuned next week.

Windy said:
It's implausible that it’s either coincidence or random that on the last weekday before the day that the decisions are mailed, HMS changes the status pages. I agree with the incomplete=accepted or waitlist theory because: (1) HMS needs nothing more from rejected applicants but accepted applicants need to send in a form accepting the acceptance and WL applicants need to send in a form agreeing to remain on the WL. (2) It makes more sense that HMS would change the approximately 300 status pages of accepted/WL applicants than that of the over 5000 rejected applicants. (3) Pre-interview rejected students (Bunnyhop’s friend) still show that they are complete. (4) Several “superstars” (palmiscious, Mateo, Carlene) are incomplete. (5) More than half of interviewees will probably be rejected and so far, the count on SDN is 18 complete (60%) and 12 incomplete (40%) – last year HMS interviewed 665 and accepted about 250 and, if WL were (guessing) approximately 50, then about 45% of interviewees were accepted/WL last year.

Sigh.

so everyone has been wondering about the complete/incomplete status of their app, but i was also wondering, what does it say regarding "application finalized" if anything? i'm not sure what this means... maybe a decision has been finalized?

replies are appreciated. thanks!

CalGoldenBear said:
so everyone has been wondering about the complete/incomplete status of their app, but i was also wondering, what does it say regarding "application finalized" if anything? i'm not sure what this means... maybe a decision has been finalized?

replies are appreciated. thanks!

I think the "finalized" refers to receipt of your letters, application fee, MCAT scores...I don't think it has anything to do with final decisions.

Tra La La said:
I think the "finalized" refers to receipt of your letters, application fee, MCAT scores...I don't think it has anything to do with final decisions.

ok thanks. i haven't even looked at that status page until this thread came up yesterday, so i didn't know what it meant.

Windy said:

Oh well, Harvard was a nice thought while it lasted.....

I still think that people who are listed as "Complete" are just generally better people and will be more likely to get into heaven than any "Incomplete" riff-raff....

Whitney said:
Oh well, Harvard was a nice thought while it lasted.....

I still think that people who are listed as "Complete" are just generally better people and will be more likely to get into heaven than any "Incomplete" riff-raff....

I'm partial and so I'll agree with you.

:) :D :cool: :thumbup: :laugh:

CarleneM said:
(besides, i tend to think that incompletes=waitlists OR accepts since both would have to turn something in that could be tracked if they wanted to stay in the class or on the waitlist)

Nice, thanks Carlene, keep kicking while were down . . .

Tra La La said:
How else can we all be neurotic?

It's a sunny and really comfortable 70 degree afternoon in CA. I could be out exercising or completeting one of the many many tasks that have accumulated on my ever growing "to-do list".

But I think my time is better spent here on this SDN thread. :)

Where in cali are you? We should meet up and accomplish nothing together!

Before anyone who is "complete" despairs, although I think that "incomplete" means accepted or waitlisted, it isn't necessarily true that "complete" means rejected. It's possible that some applicants may still be under consideration by HMS and/or that the computer person hasn't yet gotten around to updating all of the status pages yet. In any event, only HMS knows what the status page really means and its not telling until next week.

poo! this thread is making me sooo nervous! (i am listed as "complete") i wish they would've rejected outright in the beginning instead of letting me think i had a chance. ugh - torture!!!

good luck to all, both incompletes and completes. may the status page have nothing to do with being accepted!!! :luck:

Graat said:
Where in cali are you? We should meet up and accomplish nothing together!

Central/Northern CA. You in SF? That's so cool!