Hofstra/Pace/Yeshiva

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jbird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to Pace's School/Clinical Child PsyD, Yeshiva's Clinical PsyD and Hofstra's School/Community PsyD. I am having such a difficult time weighing pros/cons and was wondering if someone could offer some sage advice.

I would like to have the option of working as a School Psychologist, but also might want to do private practice or (gasp!) even work with adults. Is it possible to obtain a Clinical PsyD from Yeshiva and go on to work as a School Psychologist? I know there is a separate School program at Yeshiva, which I felt would be too limiting because the school also offered the Clinical PsyD. Hofstra and Pace to not have regular clinical psyd programs, so I thought the School PsyD would offer a broader range of internship/externship opportunities. Is my logic flawed? Is it possible to work with adults with a PsyD in Child/School Psych?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i thought you just interviewed at yeshiva for their clinical psyd. program thurs.....how have u already received an acceptance, was it email or phone call and why now are u talking about the combined school-clinical program?? and hofstra just had their interview like a week ago, who called you??

I basically have the same questions as you. I got into Hofstra's school-community program but don't know if I definately want to be a school psychologist. I'm more interested in the clinical aspect and want to work with families and couples as well. Would this program still allow me to work as a clinical psychologist as well as a school psychologist? Has anyone heard anything good/bad about the Hofstra PsyD program? Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
i thought you just interviewed at yeshiva for their clinical psyd. program thurs.....how have u already received an acceptance, was it email or phone call and why now are u talking about the combined school-clinical program?? and hofstra just had their interview like a week ago, who called you??[/quote

ok calm down. i am not talking about yeshiva's combined program, I only applied and was accepted to the clinical psyd program via phone call. I was also accepted to hofstra last wednesday (combined school/community) by the prof who interviewed me. I'm sure there is not a strict timeline regarding when notifications are sent out about acceptances,or rejections for that matter. I especially know this is the case with Yeshiva.. some people found out that they were accepted weeks ago, whereas I just had my interview last week. If you have questions regarding specific protocol, I would suggest contacting the programs' secretaries. They are usually very helpful and may even tell you whether or not you have been admitted.

I basically have the same questions as you. I got into Hofstra's school-community program but don't know if I definately want to be a school psychologist. I'm more interested in the clinical aspect and want to work with families and couples as well. Would this program still allow me to work as a clinical psychologist as well as a school psychologist? Has anyone heard anything good/bad about the Hofstra PsyD program? Any advice is appreciated!

I went to Hofstra for one of their info sessions and was fortunate enough to meet with a current student in the Psy.D. program now. From what the girl told me, you can absolutely still do clinical work. I actually really liked the program. It has a great reputation and the people seem really nice. I applied there, but have not heard anything back yet.

I went to Hofstra for one of their info sessions and was fortunate enough to meet with a current student in the Psy.D. program now. From what the girl told me, you can absolutely still do clinical work. I actually really liked the program. It has a great reputation and the people seem really nice. I applied there, but have not heard anything back yet.

I definitely got that feeling too, and don't doubt that Hofstra has a wonderful program. That being said I think that if a graduate of the combined program is up against someone with a strict clinical degree for a clinical position, the person with the clinical degree is going to look better and be more prepared for a clinical job. Also, since Hofstra is only a 4 yr program, there is no year of full-time internship placement. Basically, I think graduates of Hofstra's program are responsible for finding their own APA certified internship to complete after graduating, before doing post doc work.

I was recently accepted to Pace's School/Clinical Child PsyD, Yeshiva's Clinical PsyD and Hofstra's School/Community PsyD. I am having such a difficult time weighing pros/cons and was wondering if someone could offer some sage advice.
]

when did you find out about Pace? mail/phone/email

thankss

i hadn't heard anything so I emailed the prof who interviewed me and she replied (on Fri) that they just made decisions, I was accepted, and that the official letter is in the mail. Haven't gotten the letter yet though, so don't freak!

I definitely got that feeling too, and don't doubt that Hofstra has a wonderful program. That being said I think that if a graduate of the combined program is up against someone with a strict clinical degree for a clinical position, the person with the clinical degree is going to look better and be more prepared for a clinical job. Also, since Hofstra is only a 4 yr program, there is no year of full-time internship placement. Basically, I think graduates of Hofstra's program are responsible for finding their own APA certified internship to complete after graduating, before doing post doc work.

Hmmm... I never thought about it that way. You make a good point.

I am similarly having a very difficult time deciding between the Pace school-clinical child PsyD and two other straight clinical PsyD programs. I am attracted to Pace for its dual nature (and I would be pursuing bilingual school psych), yet I am concerned about insufficient clinical training provided through the program. At least for now, I am more interested in clinical than school psychology.

I also don't want to limit myself to working only with youth. The professors I talked to at Pace said this isn't a problem, and that I would have ample opportunity do therapy with adults - but is this true?

A 3rd concern is that I will likely not be staying in the tri-state area post-doc, so I'm worried about the portability of my school PsyD credentials elsewhere in the US, particularly CA. I'm not talking about licensing requirements, rather finding jobs in places/school settings that have not heard of Pace University.

All thoughts/suggestions/comments welcomed. thanks!