hold for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nina512

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just recieved a "hold for interview." I know from the boards that this usually means a rejection, but I was wondering if it was different for MSTP applicants. Considering the number of applicants to MD/PhD programs (few, compared to trad MD) I have the feeling that I could move up the "hold for interview" list, as people withdraw their apps due to acceptances at other schools.

I'm bumming because I thought I had the most pull this school since I work there and two faculty members wrote me LORs. I guess my numbers weren't good enough for the first round :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins has told me point blank that it is very unlikely they will go back through the on hold list. Wash U was a little more optimistic about it.

In any case, I think we can count those on holds as rejections until further notice. Remember though, you can still update your file while on hold, so if you get a publication out or something, let them know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get a packet from Washington University with a letter saying that your application has successfully passed an initial review and is now under consideration by MSTP?

The packet came with a big faculty booklet. They asked that I review the booklet and choose faculty.

Is this the equivalent to "Hold for Interview?"

Originally posted by randywei
Did you get a packet from Washington University with a letter saying that your application has successfully passed an initial review and is now under consideration by MSTP?

The packet came with a big faculty booklet. They asked that I review the booklet and choose faculty.

Is this the equivalent to "Hold for Interview?"

The book and letter means either that you will be interviewed or that you are hold for interview. If you received the book over a month ago, it is likely that you are on hold. From what I gather, they are not notifying people of their on hold status unless they ask. So if you want to know, send an e-mail to Brian Sullivan there and ask your status.

Originally posted by Neuronix
The book and letter means either that you will be interviewed or that you are hold for interview.

Not necessarily, because I got the book and letter, and an encouraging email from Brian (so encouraging, I posted the interview on the boards), but then got flat out rejected MSTP. Randywei, email Brian and ask him.

Nina, which school? At some schools (like Hopkins) you almost never get an interview once youre on hold and at others (like UCSD) you can.

I applied to Case Western. It was a "reach" school for me, but I thought I might have a chance since I work there.

Is there movement on the list at Case?