Holding both MD and DO? Change from DO to MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metrodaily

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a title of a physician in California like this: XXXXX, D.O., M.D. Is it a mistake or does this guy really hold both degrees? Can a DO convert to a MD? Did anyone know someone who did it?

Thanks Please answer my concern.

Members don't see this ad.

Btw from what I've read on the DO forums, some DOs purchase an offshore MD degree solely for the "MD" thought they legally have to sign "DO." Thats probably the case with this dude. Correct me if I'm wrong people, I'm just a premed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a title of a physician in California like this: XXXXX, D.O., M.D. Is it a mistake or does this guy really hold both degrees? Can a DO convert to a MD? Did anyone know someone who did it?

At one point AOA and AMA did merge in CA...

History in CA of DOs to MDs, DO and MD association merger, etc.

But that was a conversion from DO to MD (and since the reversal of the decision to merge the two, some physicians kept their old title, some their new title-- but not both).

EDIT: Are his degrees from the 60's? If so, s/he is likely asserting the fact that s/he was involved in this era of merging and wants to assert some history... or personality ;)

also some wikipedia FWIW: See Current Status and Scope of Practice

Btw from what I've read on the DO forums, some DOs purchase an offshore MD degree solely for the "MD" thought they legally have to sign "DO." Thats probably the case with this dude. Correct me if I'm wrong people, I'm just a premed.

In New York (NYCOM), there are alot of FMGs who immigrate to the US and go through an accelerated DO program + residency in order to be considered a US grad. It may be the same for that particular physician in CA.

This is incorrect. Physicians did not "purchase" an offshore MD degree solely for the MD. Are you kidding me??

The merger in California is most likely the case. To quote the op "I saw a title of a physician in California like this: XXXXX, D.O., M.D."

Wow....I miss the premed wisdom. :rolleyes:

This is incorrect. Physicians did not "purchase" an offshore MD degree solely for the MD. Are you kidding me??

The merger in California is most likely the case. To quote the op "I saw a title of a physician in California like this: XXXXX, D.O., M.D."

Wow....I miss the premed wisdom. :rolleyes:
Not true. There is a carribean program for DO students to concurrently earn an MD from their school during years 3 and 4. I'm gonna search for the link.

Not true. There is a carribean program for DO students to concurrently earn an MD from their school during years 3 and 4. I'm gonna search for the link.

wow. That's actually pretty sad and actually quite pathetic.

Sorry, my bad.

I'm not clear...why would someone want to change their status from D.O. to IMG or FMG, or whichever is correct? Is it really for the two letters? smells like a clever money-making scam...:thumbdown:

I'm not clear...why would someone want to change their status from D.O. to IMG or FMG, or whichever is correct? Is it really for the two letters? smells like a clever money-making scam...:thumbdown:

You got that right...:laugh:

Well actually it is possible to be BOTH. A professor at my school has both an MD and DO degree. She's from russia and went to medical school there and did whatever they required for licensing etc over there. Then after a few years of practice she moved to the US...liked Osteopathic medicine and went through DO training. So yeah, it's possible to have both. So I guess this is the opposite situation. Someone who could have been just an MD...but wanted to become a DO and started from ground zero to become one....imagine that.

I also know a doctor here who was a foreign MD (IMG) and went to DO school because he couldn't pass whatever test they had for IMGs to practice and he liked that model better than going the allo route.

I also know a doctor here who was a foreign MD (IMG) and went to DO school because he couldn't pass whatever test they had for IMGs to practice and he liked that model better than going the allo route.

The tests they must pass are all of the USMLE exams.

The foreign MDs who do a US DO program are supposed to only list themselves as DO because they are not licensed as MDs in the US. Apparently, a lot of them do not follow this.

Hey, DrMom, if the DO grad took the UHSA (Caribbean) "short term" program and got a MD, and passed all the USMLE, can he/she be licensed as MD in US?

I don't know, but I doubt that those folks would list both, anyways.

Honestly, I don't see the point of that program. You'd already be fully-licensable in the US as a DO. The faux-MD wouldn't help you in any of the non-DO-friendly arenas. Just seems like a big waste of $ and time for ego alone. *shrug*

Hey, DrMom, if the DO grad took the UHSA (Caribbean) "short term" program and got a MD, and passed all the USMLE, can he/she be licensed as MD in US?

None of the 50 states (nor DC or PR) currently recognize the "advance standings" course that UHSA offers and thus even if you take and pass all steps of the USMLE, they will not recognize you as having graduated from a valid medical school (even if you do have a ECFMG certificate) and hence will not license you as such

For many states, if you list yourself as an MD but are really licensed as an osteopathic physician, you can be fined (and worse case scenerio, strip of your license to practice medicine/osteopathic medicine)

There was a case in Kansas where a DMD (oral surgeon) got an MD through UHSA and the Kansas Board of Medicine went after him for deceptive practice ... the Court of Appeals ruled in favor of the Board

http://www.dentalwatch.org/reg/thomas.html
http://www.kscourts.org/kscases/ctapp/2004/20040917/91403.htm

Switching from DO to MD.

Thats a great idea.

I wonder why anyone hasnt thought of that before.

Oh...wait...