Home address / state taxes (HPSP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notanewyorker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you are from Washington state and attend dental school in New York on HPSP. You signed up for HPSP when you were a resident of Washington state.

Should your pay stub say "NY" resident and have NY state income taxes taken out? When you go active duty would it revert to Washington state tax code (No state income taxes) or does NY own you now?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say you are from Washington state and attend dental school in New York on HPSP. You signed up for HPSP when you were a resident of Washington state.

Should your pay stub say "NY" resident and have NY state income taxes taken out? When you go active duty would it revert to Washington state tax code (No state income taxes) or does NY own you now?

Many military people will become residents of a state that does not have state taxes. There are at least a dozen around. You can claim any state that you can justify - and that state will follow you around throughout your military career. You can maintain the state you are from, where you go to school, where you have family. Usually things that will determine residency include a drivers license, voting registration, or physical address.

I understand how it works for active duty. I'm on HPSP so I'm not active duty, so it's a bit different. I'm interested what other HPSPers have experienced with this.

So my paystub says "YOUR CURRENT STATE CLAIMED IS: NEW YORK". What does this mean?

I understand how it works for active duty. I'm on HPSP so I'm not active duty, so it's a bit different. I'm interested what other HPSPers have experienced with this.

So my paystub says "YOUR CURRENT STATE CLAIMED IS: NEW YORK". What does this mean?

I'd get it changed. I'm on HPSP attending school in Ohio and my state claimed is OR and it states such on my LES(Paystub). Technically your required to file and pay state income tax on whichever state you have claimed on your LES because that is the state you a claiming for your home residency. Contact the pay people that deal with HPSP students. It was probably an error when filling out your HPSP contract.