Home EM program and medical school relations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tamman55699

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how invested EM residency programs are with the EM applicants at their associated medical school?

Do PD or other program leadership help them with advising, offer to call other programs on their behalf, hint at the other SLOE grades from the application, or give them some preference in interview invites or rankings? or any other forms of assistance?

What does it mean for a residency program to not have match lists with their own medical school graduates?

Members don't see this ad.

Going to depend on the programs. Typically the faculty advises the students. Some may hint at the SLOEs, but others probably stick to the letter of the law and won’t disclose SLOE info. Most residencies are going to interview most if not all of their home candidates I’d imagine.

As for what does it mean if a residency doesn’t have any of its med school graduates? I’d say that would be concerning. I’d read that as the medical students having some inside knowledge of the place and not wanting to end up there.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to a medical school with an extremely competitive home EM program. We got virtually zero support from our program in terms of advising because they felt they could choose whomever they wanted and didn't feel the need to be involved with us.

Ironically, many people still ranked them first and they didn't take anybody in my class that year.

I think it probably varies from place to place, I'm sure that there are other very competitive EM programs that are in fact very invested in their own students.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how invested EM residency programs are with the EM applicants at their associated medical school?

Do PD or other program leadership help them with advising, offer to call other programs on their behalf, hint at the other SLOE grades from the application, or give them some preference in interview invites or rankings? or any other forms of assistance?

What does it mean for a residency program to not have match lists with their own medical school graduates?
As others have mentioned, it certainly depends. My med school EM dept was very helpful with advising and definitely gave us a slight preference in ranking, though we were by no means assured a spot. Both my med school and it's EM program are middle of the road programs.

The program where I ultimately did residency is one of the "big names" that shows up on the rank lists here a lot and has a highly ranked medical school attached to it. I don't know what kind of advising those med students get, but I guarantee that they didn't get any preference when it comes to rank lists. If anything, they seem to have a below average rate of matching than students from outside programs. For example: there were 0 students from the home medical school in my residency class or in the years directly above and below me.

I never received any hints about my SLOE contents.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends. My program advises well and wants our students to do well. We also don’t want to mislead other programs on our weaker applicants.

I went to a medical school with an extremely competitive home EM program. We got virtually zero support from our program in terms of advising because they felt they could choose whomever they wanted and didn't feel the need to be involved with us.

Ironically, many people still ranked them first and they didn't take anybody in my class that year.

I think it probably varies from place to place, I'm sure that there are other very competitive EM programs that are in fact very invested in their own students.

As others have mentioned, it certainly depends. My med school EM dept was very helpful with advising and definitely gave us a slight preference in ranking, though we were by no means assured a spot. Both my med school and it's EM program are middle of the road programs.

The program where I ultimately did residency is one of the "big names" that shows up on the rank lists here a lot and has a highly ranked medical school attached to it. I don't know what kind of advising those med students get, but I guarantee that they didn't get any preference when it comes to rank lists. If anything, they seem to have a below average rate of matching than students from outside programs. For example: there were 0 students from the home medical school in my residency class or in the years directly above and below me.

I never received any hints about my SLOE contents.

That's super interesting. My program is pretty highly ranked regionally, but we always match at least 1-2 kids from our medical school...

I find that aggravating for EM programs to have such an uppity arrogance about them. If they don't take investment in undergraduate medical education at their home med school, then how can they deserve the reputation of training the future leaders in EM. Like at least give your own EM applicants interviews, maybe you'll find gems compared what is said on paper. There are reasons for med students to attend a school, maybe they want to stay in the region. Also think of the alumni network. It doesn't look too good for residency programs to shut out their own med school graduates.

Reactions: 1 user
I find that aggravating for EM programs to have such an uppity arrogance about them. If they don't take investment in undergraduate medical education at their home med school, then how can they deserve the reputation of training the future leaders in EM. Like at least give your own EM applicants interviews, maybe you'll find gems compared what is said on paper. There are reasons for med students to attend a school, maybe they want to stay in the region. Also think of the alumni network. It doesn't look too good for residency programs to shut out their own med school graduates.

I agree. I understand if the program is competitive not necessarily taking home students just to take them, take the best of the best if you have that luxury. But I don't understand at all not being available to advise students and help them match. That is insane to me as an academic type.