Home Gym Essentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking into getting exercise equipment to do resistance training at home. I'm thinking bowflex adjustable dumbells, workout bench, and a squat/power rack with a barbell. Is that enough, too much? What would you guys recommend as bare essentials to get decent results, in terms of strength gains? I've had a on again off again relationship with the gym, and I'm hoping i'll be more consistent with a home gym. Any good strength routines for a 60 minute workout would be useful too.

Members don't see this ad.

barbell
rack
bench
dumbbell handles (same diameter as the barbell so you can use the same plates and clips)
chalk
loud speakers

Reactions: 1 users
Technically a proper rack + equipment for the rack is all you need. Throw in a few dumbbells, a weight belt with chains to hang weights on you and you’re golden. Bikes are great too, I’ve found. I use a bike at the gym like a drop down set. I put it to max resistance and go as far as I can, then -5 resistance and go as far as I can, then -5, etc. I’ve made huge gains in my legs doing this and it’s a hell of a lot more entertaining than a treadmill or some other boring crap. You can’t walk right for a few minutes when you get off though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
barbell
rack
bench
dumbbell handles (same diameter as the barbell so you can use the same plates and clips)
chalk
loud speakers

Mirrors.
Good lighting.

But for real, definitely consider a "Row Machine" - It's super dynamic cardio and when you're done using it, you can push it up against the wall, it won't take up any space.

Home gym equipment is low yield unless you are committed. The equipment is heavy and difficult to move around. Nothing beats a fully stocked gym if you’re truly interested in bodybuilding. Why not get a cheap membership and see if it’s something that you enjoy? I’m actually sitting in my car in the parking lot of my gym about to walk in and for me, part of the motivation is having all the people around. Plus, you’re going to miss all the girls in spandex while you work out!

I think if I got something for the house, it would only be cardio equipment.

Rack, bench, dumbbells. Don't skimp on the bench. Make it a fully adjustable bench with heavy duty construction. Don't bother with those $100 deals you get at Target. You want stability when you put up 150kg.

A heavy bag, at least 100lbs.

Some sort of cardio machine, be it a treadmill, an air-dyne, or a rower. If you want to go big a Stairmaster is my favorite cardio.

Padded floor tiles are nice but not critical.

Home gym equipment is low yield unless you are committed. The equipment is heavy and difficult to move around. Nothing beats a fully stocked gym if you’re truly interested in bodybuilding. Why not get a cheap membership and see if it’s something that you enjoy? I’m actually sitting in my car in the parking lot of my gym about to walk in and for me, part of the motivation is having all the people around. Plus, you’re going to miss all the girls in spandex while you work out!

You're not wrong, a lot of the workout routines mentioned in books you can't even do completely unless you're in a gym. Believe it or not, I don't have a decent gym within bikeable distance, and the idea of driving to a place to get exercise just doesn't jive with my living a less car dependent lifestyle, or make much sense to me.

That said, you can't really improve much on the basic exercises like bench press, squat, deadlift, pullups and step ups/lunges, which I think can be all done well at home.

As for the cute girls, I'm a married man and need to stay as far from that as I can lol

I've tried going to the gym with my wife on a guest pass. The combination of people (too much noise and movement) and the lack of guarantee what I need will be available make it a no go for me.

Reactions: 2 users
When I first moved to a real house, with a crappy non-finished basement, my wife and I stopped our gym memberships and with about 16mo of dues I got:
Power rack with bar, adjustable bench
Big pull up bar mounted on a cross beam
Adjustable dumbbells up to 55lb
An elliptical (for her, not my cup of tea).

I bike a lot, so I already had a decent stationary trainer set up for my bikes.

I did fine for a couple years doing bench, squat, rows, deadlifts, weighted pull-ups, etc. Mostly I was focused on cycling, so just doing some big complex lifts a couple times a week to round out fitness.

We eventually re-started gym memberships once the kids were old enough to enjoy the pool and kids stuff there, and I do enjoy the plethora of machines and toys and all... But I have a solid weight set up downstairs, and theoretically "Saved money". I think this depends on your motivation. I'll wander down to the basement and throw up heavy weights by myself next to the American flag I hung for immediate 10% gains. But some people do a lot better with a social gym setting.

I’ve had a pretty complete home gym in the past but found I do better in a gym setting. There’s less distractions for me in a gym. I wear headphones and don’t socialize. I’ve also found that as I have had to train around injuries over the years I need the variety that a commercial gym provides.

As far as gym crowding, I find out weird schedule to be perfect to combat this since I’m usually training at non peak times.

Bro do you even EM? You sound like an orthopod to me.

You need to work on the home rock climbing wall set up if you want to be legit in this specialty.

Reactions: 5 users
See a lot of love for the power rack and barbell, but I'd also like to recommend some horse stall mat for the flooring.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've tried going to the gym with my wife on a guest pass. The combination of people (too much noise and movement) and the lack of guarantee what I need will be available make it a no go for me.
Oh, and the mirrors. I don't want to look at myself while lifting weights.

I would recommend a rack with barbell and bumper plates to start. Flooring would be good if its actually in your house. Mine is in my garage so I don't have it. You can add dumbbells, KBs and the like as you need. You can do alot with just a barbell and a squat rack. I think an assault style bike is also really clutch for quick HIIT type stuff. I'm a bit of an exercise nerd and theres so many different training styles that can really fit in anyone's schedule and fitness level. I think a common problem is people bite off too much...AKA I'm going to workout with weights for 5 days a week + cardio and then when thats not sustainable they fall off the wagon. Also doing stuff you don't enjoy makes the whole idea seem more like a chore. You can be in great shape with 45 minutes 3x week.

Home gym vs gym membership has its pros/cons. It can be quite expensive to fully outfit a home gym and you'll probably never have all the options a membership would. However if time is an issue for you than I think a home gym is really clutch. I very frequently drag myself to my garage, start warming up, end up getting a really good workout when I know I just wouldn't have gone if I had to drive somewhere. Assault Bike + Body weight and I can get a great workout in 10 minutes of work. I really never have an excuse to not do something like that.

Feel free to PM me if you want routine suggestions.

So I'm looking into getting exercise equipment to do resistance training at home. I'm thinking bowflex adjustable dumbells, workout bench, and a squat/power rack with a barbell. Is that enough, too much? What would you guys recommend as bare essentials to get decent results, in terms of strength gains? I've had a on again off again relationship with the gym, and I'm hoping i'll be more consistent with a home gym. Any good strength routines for a 60 minute workout would be useful too.

Make sure your squat rack has a pull-up bar. I also got a dip bar that is removable. I otherwise have pretty much same setup that you describe, and the only thing I feel like I’m missing is a glute Ham raise... just not at a time in my life where I can buy that.

5-3-1 is a good routine. I think more than anything, training consistently and eating/sleeping are the most important variables for non-elite strength athletes.

I suppose it depends on goals. For me the essentials were an oly bar, bumper weights, a pull up bar, a wooden box, a fold out rack, a wall ball, and a few kettlebells.

Bro do you even EM? You sound like an orthopod to me.

You need to work on the home rock climbing wall set up if you want to be legit in this specialty.

:claps:

Plus a patagonia tech vest to wear over your scrubs (keep your keys on a carabiner while you're at it).

Proper dumbbells and a rack. Ditch those adjustable things.

Be manly.

#toxicmasculinity

In all seriousness though, some of us don't have the space for a full rack. If you lift heavy going 5-100 takes a lot of space. Also $$$. Using plates and handles means you spend more time adjusting weights then lifting.

I have a set of Powerblock Elite 90s. Adjust from 10-90 in about 5 seconds. The great thing about quick adjustables like powerblocks and ironmasters (don't get the bowflex, they're flimsy/fragile) is with those and an adjustable bench you have a complete gym and can do any type of exercise. Supersets, dropsets, etc. are all a piece of cake. Add a pullup/dip bar to complete it.

I'd say spending more time lifting and less adjusting is pretty manly.

I will also die on the hill of 99% of guys should be doing dumbbell lifts rather then barbell. Barbell may be better for building max power and putting up the biggest numbers, but dumbbell is better for building core/stabilizing muscles and improving functional strength. Dumbbells mimic real world muscle use far more then barbells do by forcing you to stabilize. Also safer to use at home, since you can do more exercises without a spotter. This also lets you workout harder since you don't have to fear dropping a barbell bench on your chest/neck when you fail.

Reactions: 6 users
#toxicmasculinity

In all seriousness though, some of us don't have the space for a full rack. If you lift heavy going 5-100 takes a lot of space. Also $$$. Using plates and handles means you spend more time adjusting weights then lifting.

I have a set of Powerblock Elite 90s. Adjust from 10-90 in about 5 seconds. The great thing about quick adjustables like powerblocks and ironmasters (don't get the bowflex, they're flimsy/fragile) is with those and an adjustable bench you have a complete gym and can do any type of exercise. Supersets, dropsets, etc. are all a piece of cake. Add a pullup/dip bar to complete it.

I will also die on the hill of 99% of guys should be doing dumbbell lifts rather then barbell. Barbell may be better for building max power and putting up the biggest numbers, but dumbbell is better for building core/stabilizing muscles and improving functional strength. Dumbbells mimic real world muscle use far more then barbells do by forcing you to stabilize. Also safer to use at home, since you can do more exercises without a spotter. This also lets you workout harder since you don't have to fear dropping a barbell bench on your chest/neck when you fail.
QFT.

I got a power rack for squats/calf raises, and do RDLs with the barbell because I need more weight than the max I can get from my 90lb adjustable dumbbells, but outside of that, I basically only use dumbbells, weight belt, and a pull up bar.

I really wish they made adjustables that went up to 120 lbs though.

#toxicmasculinity

In all seriousness though, some of us don't have the space for a full rack. If you lift heavy going 5-100 takes a lot of space. Also $$$. Using plates and handles means you spend more time adjusting weights then lifting. I have a set of Powerblock Elite 90s. Adjust from 10-90 in about 5 seconds. The great thing about quick adjustables like powerblocks and ironmasters (don't get the bowflex, they're flimsy/fragile) is with those and an adjustable bench you have a complete gym and can do any type of exercise. Supersets, dropsets, etc. are all a piece of cake. Add a pullup/dip bar to complete it.

I'm actually in 99% agreement. Your hashtag made me laugh hard; thanks for nodding at my joke.

I actually looked at a set of those same Powerblock Elites, but I strongly prefer hex-shaped bells because you can do so much more with them and get a better grip. My membership-based gym has both. i have worked out with both. The powerblocks aren't bad, but they're not my jam.

99% of guys should be doing dumbbells and not barbells; but (and here's where we differ)... let them figure that out for themselves.

Are you new to lifting and want to look like a Greek God? Sweet. Here's my recommendation:

1. Go to the gym. Do the manly lifts. Bench press. Shoulder press. Deadlift. Feel good about yourself. Clang your weights. Get hooked.
2. Once you figure out "damn, this exercise isn't as good as I want it to be; especially this movement in this exercise" (this won't take long), then go train those areas on dumbbells.
3. Get better. Go back to barbells. Feel even manlier. Watch as fat turns to muscle and your brain goes "whoaaa".
4. Punch a sissyman. Ask them: "Do you even lift, bro?"
5. Realize that you were a sissyman, and that if you stopped, you would return to being a sissyman.
6. Go apologize to that sissyman, and invite him to work out with you. You're now friends. No longer will you be sissymen.

Repeat until there are no more sissymen. We will rule the world!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Concept2 rower, plywood box with different length sides to step up onto, bike, some dumbbells or kettleballs. Maybe a pull up bar. You're set. I like this approach because it doesn't take up much space. I use a direct-drive trainer from Wahoo attached to my road bike. Quick on/off and great for a workup, doesn't take much space at all. You can use Zwift or other apps or just set it up and pedal while watching a movie or listening to music.

The plywood box for plyometrics is the underrated addition to what everyone else has mentioned, big bang:buck ratio there.

#toxicmasculinity

Power rack with proper mechanical spotters works fine. If you have more than a small amount of strength, I think a barbell or multiple barbells are excellent.

QFT.

I got a power rack for squats/calf raises, and do RDLs with the barbell because I need more weight than the max I can get from my 90lb adjustable dumbbells, but outside of that, I basically only use dumbbells, weight belt, and a pull up bar.

I really wish they made adjustables that went up to 120 lbs though.
Iron Master. Up to 160 lbs.

Look into some of the Inspire products. I've got an Inspire FT2 that I pretty much work out on before almost every shift. It's stack based, has a sophisticated pully system and is surprisingly versatile. It comes in around 700lbs (much lighter than most racks or other fitness trainers) and is very space efficient. You can even set it up over thin/low carpet as long as you lay down half inch rubber mat. It was around 4-5K if I recall, but has been well worth the investment for the convenience. Surprisingly, I get far fewer injuries on the fitness trainer compared to my my usual gym work outs.

Inspire-Fitness-FT2-with-scs-bench_800x800-1.png

It’s funny looking at this thread now for me. I started it in the peak of the pandemic days when nobody was going anywhere, and I just wanted to workout at home.

Now, I’m at lifetime fitness, and there’s no way in hell I would go for a home gym lol.

It’s funny looking at this thread now for me. I started it in the peak of the pandemic days when nobody was going anywhere, and I just wanted to workout at home.

Now, I’m at lifetime fitness, and there’s no way in hell I would go for a home gym lol.

You know, I thought the same thing, but in a different manner altogether.

I have a private gym membership. You don't even get in the door without your trainer and appointment.

AND I want a better home gym.
I won't give up my membership, because damn it's great. But I do love a sweet bench set at 10:45pm (or whenever the hell I want) because *feels good man*.

I've vacillated between homegym enthusiasm and lifetime boujee gym-boi over the past decade.

I will say, I love having at least a basic home set up as I don't need to drive to the gym, can get 30-40 minutes workouts in when I just have that much time between zoom meetings / kid stuff, model for the kids that workingout is a normal daily thing, etc. But weights at the gym are just better man. I do miss the dry sauna too...

I'm a reasonably enthusiastic road cyclist, though I no longer race or ride fast... so I always had some sort of home trainer set up to plug the bike into. I will share the recommendation for the Wahoo series of trainers. Turn your bike into a stationary / spin bike in <1min.

My home gym revelation of the past 2 years is how much I like the Peloton treadmill. I've never been a big running enthusiast (usually would do 3mi runs 1-2x a week at best in the warmer months), and generally loathed gym treadmills, only using them reluctantly for some warmup cardio before weights. So ****ing boring. So horrible. My wife is more of a runner, so we got this tread thing and... I really like it. The amount of intervals/interaction/entertainment in the classes actually keeps me interested, and I think the number of hills and intervals, along with appropriate warm ups means I've markedly upped my mileage with way less injuries than I used to get.

Weight wise, I got a smaller power-rack, bench, barbell up to 300lb and those adjustable bowflex dumbells that go to 55lb (I got metal inner working upgrades that extended their life) and a pull up bar. Its enough to "do everything" but it just isn't as motivating as a real gym with lots of shiny stuff. I am strongly considering getting dumbells that go up to 100lb for reasons mentioned up thread... I have to be careful with bench/shoulder work and a barbell not to cause lots of shoulder issues...

Honestly, unless you are pretty hardcore into lifting, this is a great solution.

A bit pricey, but takes up little space and absolutely smokes me. I got rid of my power rack and free weights and just use this now. Since I didn’t have a spotter I work much harder now. I recommend it to everyone.

Honestly, unless you are pretty hardcore into lifting, this is a great solution.

A bit pricey, but takes up little space and absolutely smokes me. I got rid of my power rack and free weights and just use this now. Since I didn’t have a spotter I work much harder now. I recommend it to everyone.

I switched from a Powertec lever gym, barbells, dumbbells, kettle bells, and a pull up/elevated crunch/dip station to a Tonal and other than keeping the pull up don't use anything else for strength. I'm in same position in terms of rarely having a spotter and my wife and my 14 yo can use it safely. It is expensive and it's significantly less useful if you don't keep up the subscription though.

I switched from a Powertec lever gym, barbells, dumbbells, kettle bells, and a pull up/elevated crunch/dip station to a Tonal and other than keeping the pull up don't use anything else for strength. I'm in same position in terms of rarely having a spotter and my wife and my 14 yo can use it safely. It is expensive and it's significantly less useful if you don't keep up the subscription though.
Yeah the subscription is a kick in the nuggets. You can use it without but I really like the dynamic features, and the spotter.

I never looked back. Great programs, but I just built my own push/pull/legs routine that I’ve been doing lately. Easy to mix things up.

Edit: yeah I do miss my pull up bar but I’m just going to install one in my new gym room I think.

Ditto Re: Powerblocks. I initially bought the Bowflex set but the grip sucks and they can get flimsy.

This was my best investment 10 years ago, along with the olympic bar, adjustable bench and weights. I managed to find it on Rakuten for $400 bucks. Not much I can't do at home except cable cross overs, but dumbell fly is fine.

Key for me was having the adjustable "spotter bars" that slide into the rack; along with a "closed rack" for squats. I haven't got trapped under weights yet and don't have any plans to.

Ditto Re: Powerblocks. I initially bought the Bowflex set but the grip sucks and they can get flimsy.

This was my best investment 10 years ago, along with the olympic bar, adjustable bench and weights. I managed to find it on Rakuten for $400 bucks. Not much I can't do at home except cable cross overs, but dumbell fly is fine.

Key for me was having the adjustable "spotter bars" that slide into the rack; along with a "closed rack" for squats. I haven't got trapped under weights yet and don't have any plans to.

Agreed. If you’re doing barbell exercises at home, a cage with the spotter bars is essential. I still prefer dumbbells to avoid the time adjusting said bars, but that is a way to go, especially for compound/Olympic exercises. I’ve sadly had to give those up due to neck issues, for which cleans/press exercises are the worst offenders.

#toxicmasculinity

I may try some Powerblocks. I have a set of Nuobells that were phenomenal. I absolutely loved those things, especially the form factor but one of the plates started falling off one of the sets and then the weight dial started shifting and now they are completely jacked up. I've only had them for 1.5 years or so.

Are there any movements that are limited due to the blocky form of the power blocks? For instance, can you smoothly curl without it catching your hip or side? Can you do tricep extensions in a sitting position without the edge clipping the back of your head?

I may try some Powerblocks. I have a set of Nuobells that were phenomenal. I absolutely loved those things, especially the form factor but one of the plates started falling off one of the sets and then the weight dial started shifting and now they are completely jacked up. I've only had them for 1.5 years or so.

Are there any movements that are limited due to the blocky form of the power blocks? For instance, can you smoothly curl without it catching your hip or side? Can you do tricep extensions in a sitting position without the edge clipping the back of your head?

The shape definitely takes some getting used to, but I haven't found it limiting. Curls are not a problem. Push/pulls like bench press, rows, etc. aren't an issue. Tricep extensions are the only exercise I've done where the grip is weird/different then the standard exercise, but still very doable.