Homemade lens cleaning solution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horrendoma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Any of you succeed in making your own homemade lens-cleaning solution? The stuff from the microscope manufacturers costs a lot.

Obviously it has to be inert toward plastic/rubber/metal, and non toxic/non carcinogenic.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, the only homemade lens cleaning solution I make is for my contacts. Usually it's just pond water from my great Uncle's farm in Oklahoma.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an aside, what do people use for cleaning **** off of the stage? Xylene can work but the lab gives me a funny look when I go and ask them for xylene because teenagers sometimes use it to get high or something. Or it causes cancer. I have no idea, I just know it works well to clean **** off of the stage, like dried embedding media.

Try a Q-tip moistened with 70-90% EtOH (wouldn't think that would be too hard to find in a lab). It shouldn't hurt the coatings on the lenses.

@horrendoma:

I heart your avatar x 100!!!

As an aside, what do people use for cleaning **** off of the stage? Xylene can work but the lab gives me a funny look when I go and ask them for xylene because teenagers sometimes use it to get high or something. Or it causes cancer. I have no idea, I just know it works well to clean **** off of the stage, like dried embedding media.

How the hell did embedding media get on your stage. Embedding media is paraffin, so anything that can dissolve paraffin would work... acetone should work.(Nail polish remover)
If you mean mounting media, well, try using a plastic ruler or credit card to scrape off. If not, out comes the nail polish remover