Honest opinion about re-taking the GRE

Started by mecham56
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mecham56

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I just took the GRE and I was not satisfied at ALL by my score. My score was around 200-300 points lower than I've normally done on the practice tests. I got a 980 overall, with Q-540, V-440. If I retake the GRE, I won't get my scores until November, based on the new system.

My question is:

Should I wait and re-take it and try and squeeze my applications in this year? Or ....well, I'm not sure what else to do. ANY advice at all is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks


University:BYU
Major:Exercise Science
Overall GPA:3.2
Pre-Req GPA:3.1
GRE:980
 
I would say just send in your applications. Find a school that doesn't require the GRE score or does not have a miniumum requirement. I made a 850 on my GRE score but have a GPA of 3.98. Im just going to try my luck and send it in. I was planing on retaking it but don't have the time because of summer school and observations. Plus the deadline for the new GRE is Aug 1, 2011. If you don't get accepted, just wait till the cycle. It doesn't hurt to try.
 
I know two schools for sure that do not require the GRE:

Arkansas State
University of N. Texas

Now, given the choice, I would likely choose UNT. They are are top notch university for every other program they have, I don't see why their PT program would be any different. I really don't know much about the Arkansas State program.