honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any Chiropractors who got into DO school? Please save the snyde remarks! I am not trying to start an argument, just looking for an honest opinion. I am a Chiro and I am applying for 2004. I have heard mixed views on this. Some say it is good experience with patients and the basic sciences. Others say the Adcoms don't like it because of the "mixing of philosophies" and changing careers. I honestly just want to do more for my patients and I don't expect that OMM is the same thing. Just want the whole package. Any honest (not arrogant) remarks are welcome. I was also an EMT for 5 years.

BMW19

Members don't see this ad.

I would just make sure you that you explain your feelings in your application essay. Make what you just said in the above post very clear to the admission's committee. Also, you may have some prereq. courses to take. What is your BS in? Have you had calculus based physics, Organic Chemistry, etch.. Those general courses are required for admission to an osteo school. And hey, if you are worried about an Osteo school discriminating against you because of the philosophy issue, apply MD as well. Just because you become an MD does not mean you lose your DC. Keep both titles, you can be an MD that offers that extra service to your patients. Good luck.

the requirements for DC are the same as DO including physics and Organic. You just have lower standard. But all the prereqs are exact (minus MCAT of course). My BS is in Psych.

Members don't see this ad :)
BMW19,

Your experience can only help you. Just DO NOT express any negativity towards chiropractors during your interviews, with allopathic or osteopathic schools. I don't quite understand what you mean by "the mixing of philosophies". There are millions of philosophies out there, and it doesn't necessarily mean that they "mix" just because you have studied different ones.

Just curious, why are you changing careers?

There were 2 DC's in my interview group at LECOM...husband and wife

I don't truly see it as "changing careers". I see it as building on a career. There are a lot of things in my office I can't do. If you want to know the truth I discovered a malignant form of cancer in one of my patients. I need to be able to do more for patients. I feel limited. I will build on everything I learned. I dont really want to apply allopathic because I feel that they won't understand where I am coming from, not to mention that they don't like Chiropractors

BMW

Originally posted by BMW19
I don't truly see it as "changing careers". I see it as building on a career. There are a lot of things in my office I can't do. If you want to know the truth I discovered a malignant form of cancer in one of my patients. I need to be able to do more for patients. I feel limited. I will build on everything I learned.

What you just said here would sound nice in your personal statement, or in your interviews.

Good luck with your applications!

As far as I know, there will be one coming to DMU Class of 2007.

Typically DMU has 1-3 chiropractors attending our school.... DD Palmer was either a patient or a student here in Des Moines before he started his first school in Davenport..... :) We have documentation in our archives... :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Puerpium = from delivery to 6 wks post partum. Period of recovery where the body returns to its normal state.

We have a second year student at our school who used to be a chiro.

Thanks for all of your honest responses guys. Anybody have the email address or SDN for any of them. I wouldn't mind speaking to a DC to see how they made the transition.

Thanks

BMW

I actually think it would be an advantage. I know that PCSOM-'02 had 2 chiro. in it.

You don't need CALCULUS-based physics for medical school (the requirement is only Gen. Physics). I took calculus-based because I thought it would be easier, but I have LOTS of friends who were accepted at both osteo- and allo- schools with just general, algebra-based physics. Just FYI!

BMW19 - I completely respect your ambitions, but I was wondering why someone who seems to be older with a comfortable career would want to go through at least 7 additional years of intense training to augment the career. Doesn't it have a strong effect on your familly life? Again, I ask with a lot of respect - just curious.

BTW, I met a 47-yr-old chiro during my interview at KCOM. He seemed like a cool guy, but I didn't get much of a chance to talk with him. I know the admissions committee at KCOM really likes non-traditional students, and they accept 90% from out-of-state, so you might want to apply to KCOM! Good luck!

Ramsest,

I respect your Q. I am not as old as you might think! Late twenties. I am sure most people on this forum can relate. A burning desire that won't go away. Same as most pre-meds, but I took a more non-traditional route. Honestly I thought I could be happy as a chiro, until I found a malignancy in one of my patients and I knew I needed to go on. DO seems to be more welcoming to someone with my point of view, which is nice b/c I like the DO philosophy. Hope that answered your Q. Thanks for the advice about KCOM I am looking into all the schools.

BMW-

BMW19,

Just my tuppence of info - hubby goes to school (KCOM, 2006) with a great guy who, like you, wanted to expand on his skills and ability to help patients.

He is in his 30s, with a wife, and giving up a good job to go back to school wasn't easy, but he had to do it because you only have one life...you should do what you are called to do.

His past skills have helped with some of the OTM, but honestly, not as much as he was hoping as there are differences. Also, the depth of study in everything is greater then what he had previously had, so although the surface/beginning info was old hat to him, the nitty-gritty has made him have to study like anyone else. :)

As far as I know, he is very happy still with changing/enhancing his career.

If you have any questions, you could write me an email and I would forward it to him (I don't feel comfortable giving his email without permission)....and take it from there.

Good luck! I think you will love being a DO - what I see the students studying, and how they are taught, really has given me a great respect for the profession and am glad hubby had no interest in MD. :)

With smiles,
Wifty
[email protected]

BMW - You seem to have all of the right motivations toward it. Just study hard for the MCAT and you should have no trouble at all. Good luck to you!