honest opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratran

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. this is my second year applying and I am a lot more prepared this cycle then my last one

my DAT score is a AA 21 TS 23 PAT 22. unfortunately i have QR 17 and RC 17. these really messed up my marks and with a gpa of 3.1 and a biology major. I am worried about my chances this year. I am very sure that If i had rounded up with a 20 in both QR and RC I would have been guaranteed a dental school. I am wondering if I should retake the DAT because with a gpa like that I am worried

Members don't see this ad.

While nothing is guaranteed, you should go ahead and apply. Your scores are still very good.

Did you interview places last cycle? Did they have any advice for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
i got one interview last year. i applied very late, october. BU was my only one and it was make or break. it didnt go well at all. this year im a lot more prepared, iv improved my dat score, im doing my thesis, i switched from life sci to bio considering im only 3 credits away, and with the intent of ripping the heck of my last year i think this is my one chance of getting in. i just dont know whether the gpa is good enough and i dont want to do masters

any advice?

any advice?

Its still not good enough dawg. So best advice is to spray and pray. Spray to like 25 schools. If you don't have the cash for that, well then you're effed. good luck

DAT score AA 21 TS 23 PAT 22. unfortunately i have QR 17 and RC 17.

those are very good scores.. .. i think.. mine was like AA 21 TS 23 PAT 20..

so if you saying u dun have a chance. i'm effed..

Its still not good enough dawg. So best advice is to spray and pray. Spray to like 25 schools. If you don't have the cash for that, well then you're effed. good luck

This your opinion or are you speaking from experience? I'm sitting at a 3.1 and I'm sporting a AA 21 TS 21 PAT 22 with my lowest score of QR at 19. Am I in the same boat? Disheartening if so...

Wouldn't his TS make up for his gpa ?

Hey guys. this is my second year applying and I am a lot more prepared this cycle then my last one

my DAT score is a AA 21 TS 23 PAT 22. unfortunately i have QR 17 and RC 17. these really messed up my marks and with a gpa of 3.1 and a biology major. I am worried about my chances this year. I am very sure that If i had rounded up with a 20 in both QR and RC I would have been guaranteed a dental school. I am wondering if I should retake the DAT because with a gpa like that I am worried
Your QR score wouldn't hurt you that much. You're RC score might have some negative impact on your chances depending on which school you apply to, how much they focus on RC, and whether or not English is your first language.
In my opinion, the real problem is your low GPA. No matter how many times you take the DAT and no matter how high you score on the exam, it will not overshadow your low GPA.
Overall, I think you have a chance of at least getting interviews this cycle. If you don't get any this cycle, then it's most likely due to your GPA, and that's when you wanna start thinking about a post bac program in order to boost that GPA.
Right now, I think you should just apply with the scores and the GPA you have and see what happens.
Try to choose schools with lower GPAs.
Good Luck!:thumbup:

This your opinion or are you speaking from experience? I'm sitting at a 3.1 and I'm sporting a AA 21 TS 21 PAT 22 with my lowest score of QR at 19. Am I in the same boat? Disheartening if so...

Well with the average matriculant at 3.54 GPA and 19ish AA, I would say OP has a slightly below decent shot depending on the rest of his app. Never the less, he will need to spray to a good number of schools. I think you're in a bit of a better shape since your DATs are much better rounded. Still, gotta spray a little bit.

Wouldn't his TS make up for his gpa ?
Your DAT doesn't "make up" for anything. It's simply representative of how you performed on the DAT exam, and not any indication of your performance during your undergraduate years.
Most schools look at both GPA and DAT; they never ignore one at the cost of the other.

dude stick with it! skrew anyone else who tells you anything else. That DAT score is pretty solid not very many people score above a 20 (at least here in texas). If you explain every well to the ad. com. at an interview and on your personal statment why you have a low GPA; then you can get in. best of luck!

Hey your scores and GPA seems awfully similar to mine...
I've got a GPA of 3.28/3.28 and AA20/TS21/PAT20 with 17 on QR and 17 on RC...
I'm a little concerned about my GPA, RC and QR too, but I applied as early as I can on July 3rd and hoping to nail all the interviews I get...

Your DAT doesn't "make up" for anything. It's simply representative of how you performed on the DAT exam, and not any indication of your performance during your undergraduate years.
Most schools look at both GPA and DAT; they never ignore one at the cost of the other.

This is true…I know some adcom’s…..and I’ve heard it from their mouths!