Honor, Courage, Commitment...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwakuni_doc

Emergency-a-Go-Go
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you've signed a contract - honor it, honor yourself.

Period.

Members don't see this ad.

100% on that....Hold up your end of the bargain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amen Brother!!
Good to see we have some folks who value honor, respect, accountability, and personal pride.

I definately believe in living up to one's obligations. But, I just love to play the devil's advocate too...So here I go.

If you enter into a good-faith agreement with another party, but that agreement was made on false premises then I think that you have a legitimate and honorable right to stand up for yourself. In fact, I think that you'd be fool if you didn't.

I'll use a simple analogy. Let's say someone sold you a car after telling you that it had 10,000 miles and was only driven to church on Sundays by his grandmother. You discover that the car was actually a stolen vehicle recovery that had a salvage title which greatly diminished the resale value. You were duped! Now, would you just sit back and take it because you wanted to live up to your end of the bargain or would you introduce the dude's backside to the toe of your shoe?

I can't think of a better analogy than used car salesmen and recruiters. In my experience, I can honestly say that I have never met a recruiter that didn't lie and/or try persuading an applicant into lying. Because of my long affiliation with the military, at least I knew they were lying. If a newbie gets blindsided by a used car salesman, I don't at all feel that they have an unwavering duty to honor their agreement if it was made under false pretenses.

It's called full disclosure. If a contract is made with deceptive practices, that contract can be voided. My point is that recruits shouldn't have to be deceived. If they're unhappy where they are and how they got there, they are much less likely to be a happy/productive team member. Tell them the truth and let them make informed decisions. Let them be proud of their service instead of resenting it.

Of course, my opinion on this subject is tempered by my experiences. That being said, I have enjoyed most of the time that I've had in the military...active duty, national guard, enlisted, commissioned, HPSP, flight surgery, two trips to Saudi, lots of shorter trips elsewhere...I've been around the block. And with the exception of HPSP, I'd do it all again.

To tell you the truth, I have always thought that a couple of years as an enlisted person should be mandatory in the U.S. I loved Army basic training and I think that there are a lot of young adults that could use some discipline these days.

FliteSurgn:

I've got to agree with you on the mandatory service thing. While I don't know that I would go so far as require military service, I do feel that we would be well served as a country in requiring a minimum 2-yr service period, be it in the military or other capacity, in order to be eligible for many of the government benefits which people currently get for nothing more than being born here.

Originally posted by FliteSurgn

If you enter into a good-faith agreement with another party, but that agreement was made on false premises then I think that you have a legitimate and honorable right to stand up for yourself. In fact, I think that you'd be fool if you didn't.

I still think it is the candidate who is to blame for their ignorance. For instance, it's clearly stated in my contract that Navy HPSP grads are expected to be GMOs unless in the rare instances where some are allowed to do residencies. People need to stop blaming the recruiters because they don't know all the answers; however, the answers are in the contract and on the internet. People need to do their homework before signing on the dotted line and stop blaming other people. ;)

Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
I still think it is the candidate who is to blame for their ignorance. For instance, it's clearly stated in my contract that Navy HPSP grads are expected to be GMOs unless in the rare instances where some are allowed to do residencies. People need to stop blaming the recruiters because they don't know all the answers; however, the answers are in the contract and on the internet. People need to do their homework before signing on the dotted line and stop blaming other people. ;)

This is so true, it's scary. I can't tell you how many people I've encountered that have no idea what's going on. It frightens me to think that their commitment to serving is not as strong as it should be....

Although I have no previous service experience, my brothers and my father have all served in various capacities. My eldest brother just came home from almost a year away in Afghanistan. It's through them that I have a slight better sense of what I'm getting myself into. And I have no regrets, thus far, in my decision to join the Navy. I still feel it's very honorable to be a part of the world's best military.

But maybe I'm just a little idealistic....:)