What is commitment required for reserves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

What is the minimum commitment years for the reserves? My recruit said there's a 3yr and a 6yr drill commitment options, but in writing you'd be on the hook for 8 years with the remaining as inactive. However, I read on here that you need at least 6 years drill status, whether you take a bonus or incentive.

Any clarification? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds about right.

Everyone acquired an 8 year service obligation. Traditionally, that is satisfied with 6 years drilling and 2 years inactive status. I’ve heard folks say that recruiters are offering docs 3 year contracts for drilling (with 5 years inactive status) but have yet to see anyone get to the point of seeing that in writing.

This 8 year obligation is paid off concurrently with any obligation you take benefits for. Meaning, if you’re using the student loan bonus or anything else, it does not stop the clock ticking on the 8 year obligation: that is paid off year by year after you swear in, regardless of what other bonuses or incentives you take.