Honors vs. Upper Division Science Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyGoalIsMD

one way to stand out...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would admission committees look more favorably on, taking the courses required for the Honors college or getting As in the upper division "recommended" courses?

I found some recommended courses that I planned to take, mainly because they interested me. However, I also considered taking the classes required to graduate from the Honors College.

I guess my question is, which would medical schools look at and say, "This person is well prepared for medical school"?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I would choose to take the recommended courses rather than honors, but I'm not an adcom. What are the honors classes in? do they interest you? do the recommended courses interest you? Undergrad is not all about preparation for med school - you should also be enjoying yourself :)

Do the path that will give you the higher GPA. In the GPA vs. Honors classes GPA always trumps. No one will be impressed in the admissions game by honors classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I loved every honors class I took and basically thought they were easier than normal classes cause the instructors were more generous and would do things for the students who actually cared. I think the main point adcoms are going to look at is: did the student take this for the looks or did they like whats being offered? Are you gonna talk about some awesome honors class in your app/interview or hate your life but do it because you think it looks good?

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to stick with the upper division biology/chemistry courses that they recommended. They genuinely interest me and I think I'll do better in them because of that reason.