Hook me up fellow Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shades McCool

Kal-el
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new to the boards. I have been reading about everything that has been going on here the past couple of weeks....which is people stressing about their MCAT scores. Well this is where my questioning comes in.

1. I have a 3.9 in chemical engineering at Auburn University. I will be busting my ass to keep it up there (3.8-4.0 range). I am also the pre-med option of Chem E. What MCAT score would make me competitive (on GPA and MCAT scores) for high mid to upper tier schools?

2. How do you go about volunteering at hospitals and what do you do when you are volunteering. I will be joing the Pre-Med Society at school and they volunteer so I will be doing that.

3. What is the best review material for the MCAT. I am thinking about taking the KAPLAN course and using the EXAMKRACKERS. I have also been told to use TPR. What is the best?

4. What advice do all of you have for me?

Please help me out and as many of you give me advice and feedback as you can!!!!:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

1. I have a 3.9 in chemical engineering at Auburn University. I will be busting my ass to keep it up there (3.8-4.0 range). I am also the pre-med option of Chem E. What MCAT score would make me competitive (on GPA and MCAT scores) for high mid to upper tier schools?

Sounds awesome here. I was competitive with a MCAT of 30 and GPA of 3.7. The average in my class was 11s straight the board. So If you shoot for 11's or higher, your numbers will be well on target for the top 10.

2. How do you go about volunteering at hospitals and what do you do when you are volunteering. I will be joing the Pre-Med Society at school and they volunteer so I will be doing that.

Call the volunteering office at the hospital. Keep in mind that not all people must volunteer in a hospital. I organized the red cross blood drives while in college and volunteered for Muscular Dystrophy working with kids. I got exposure to both medicine and fulfilled my desire to help by going these two routes. I think it's more important to stick with 1 or 2 things and establish experience rather than listing 10 things that you did only for short times.

3. What is the best review material for the MCAT. I am thinking about taking the KAPLAN course and using the EXAMKRACKERS. I have also been told to use TPR. What is the best?

I am biased towards TPR because I used to work for them. I'll bump this question for those who have taken both recently.

4. What advice do all of you have for me?

Keep focused because the goal is well worth it!

So you got in JHU...wow and you say I actually have a chance at a place like that? I better keep working hard....going there would be great!!!!!!

you definetly have a chance at a place like hopkins, washU. keep up the grades.

somewhere, in SDN there is an excellent detailed thread on how to get into top ten...

do something unique in ECs. I rea lly enjoyed, and gained a l ot more than volunteering in hospitials, doing social work (DV counselor, teaching kids at a detention center of descision skills).

unique, they like that. have the basics that everyone has, but do something special.

and, maintain the good grades. (3.85+)

and, make sure you look at which schools require biochem. (yes, require, if you want those schools, you'll need it). i know, as an engineering majore, fitt ing in the bio classes and debating which were more important was tough.

man, i wish i had what I did sophmore year (3.98, second author in top journal, i had everything then... and i lost everything junior year)