Hope for Non-Trad or Low GPA students! My Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wandernomad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys/ Gals! I wanted to share my story for those who are nervous about getting into PT school. Heres my background:

State School
Non-Science Degree (Easy compared to most)
Cum. GPA - 2.97
Highly involved on campus

After university I found a job that paid the bills. I hated my life and I turned into a robot. I worked for a year and decided to travel the world. I purchased a 1 way ticket and didnt look back. I spent a year vagabonding and ended up getting a job teaching English. After another year, I was ready to move and continued my travels for another 4 months. When I came home, I knew I wanted to pursue physical therapy and signed up for classes right away. I knew I wanted a fulfilling career that fit my lifestyle. I took 200 level physics and 100 level chemistry (pre-req for 200 level) and absolutely hated my physics professor. I ended up getting A's in both but wasnt sure I wanted to keep pursuing this direction if it was going to be like this. You have to remember, I had no experience with any science courses and the ones I did, I always had terrible teachers.

After that summer, I found out I wasnt eligible for financial aid because of my bachelors degree. I had no money, I was living at home (At 26), and was jobless. I was devastated and wasnt sure where to turn in my life. I took 4 months off and cant tell you today what I did during that time. I worked a number of odd jobs that formed a foundation of who I am today. It wasn't until I stumbled across 2 job openings that my life changed. One was for a guide at an adventure company across the US and the other was for a local pt aide position. I applied to both and guess what? I was offered both positions on the same day. This crossroad is something Ill never forget but I decided that the PT route was what I truly wanted. I began work as an aide and absolutely loved it. I gained enough money to start classes at a local CC and chipped away working almost full time and taking a couple of science courses each quarter.

After 1.5 years of all post-bacc science pre-reqs, I had researched enough to send my applications out last summer and the waiting game began. At the time of my application my stats looked something like this:

Cum GPA: 3.15 (Includes Post-bacc)
Science GPA: 3.7+
Last 60 GPA: 3.9
GRE: 305, Writing 4.5 (2 attempts!)
Shadow hours: 2000+, 5-6 settings
Volunteer at multiple places, very involved in my community, clubs, etc.

It was a long shot, but I knew I had a chance somewhere. I spent my winter break studying each school to fit my criteria. I still needed to finish my physics courses but I would end up getting all A's in those as well. The last 12 months were very difficult. I received rejection after rejection and really no advice to improve besides my GRE. I felt like my undergrad had been my worst nightmare and still following me nearly a decade after I graduated. Finally, while abroad, I received an interview invite to my #1 school and arguably one of the most competitive schools in the country. I was ecstatic and began brushing up on my interview skills. I thought I killed the interview but would find out I was wait listed. Again, I was disheartened and I began to research how I could improve my application for the next cycle. I received another interview invite and flew out to see the other school. I loved the campus and was ultimately accepted to the school. While I was happy, it wasnt what I had wanted from the beginning. Then, one day while browsing my emails, I received a notice I had been offered an acceptance and taken off the waitlist for my #1 school. I was thrilled, speechless, and utterly dismayed .How could a guy with my background get into a school like this surrounded by brilliant individuals? The answer is perseverance. I am so grateful to have gotten into my #1 choice 1st round and I wanted to share my story with others.

I worked my butt off to get to this point and the hard work certainly hasnt even begun. All I know is that if I can do this, anyone is capable. Dont ever, ever give up. I also wasnt to thank this forum, it was a life saver! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hey congrats man, I'm in the same boat as you. I started out college on a bad foot but after two years changed. My last 60 creds GPA is at 3.4 or something along those lines. Ill be taking the pre-reqs for the next year and half and hopefully the schools can look at that at a different light compared to what I've done in the beginning of my college career.

Hey congrats man, I'm in the same boat as you. I started out college on a bad foot but after two years changed. My last 60 creds GPA is at 3.4 or something along those lines. Ill be taking the pre-reqs for the next year and half and hopefully the schools can look at that at a different light compared to what I've done in the beginning of my college career.

Keep at it man! If its something you truly want, keep your eye on the prize!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's awesome! Huge congrats to you!
May I ask which school(s) you applied to?

That's awesome! Huge congrats to you!
May I ask which school(s) you applied to?

I wont list them all as I want to stay anonymous but the ones I was denied outright were UIndy, LIU, Puget Sound, UChicago. Most of these programs were reaching but you never know what adcoms are looking for!