Hope for Unmatched US IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medisaint

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently read several articles outlining the struggles that unmatched MDs face. As a US IMG who was in this situation about 7 years ago, this subject hits close to home. It was a difficult experience and I want to share my own journey in hopes of providing realistic encouragement and advice to others.

For context, I was an average medical student (pass/high pass) at an IMG program. I had a strong step 1, mediocre CK, and I failed the CS the first time around. This was mainly due to poor preparation leading to poor time management during the encounters. Although I retook the CS and easily passed a few months later, I ultimately did not match that year. I suspect I was screened out by many programs for the CS fail but I think I also failed to sell myself as a candidate. I took a job working in a clinical setting while I reapplied. I applied to 150+ IM programs and got around 12 interview invites and went to 10 of them. Thankfully, I matched this time.

I will never forget what it felt like to navigate that confusing limbo. Not matching was like hitting a concrete wall. Suddenly, for the first time in my life, I wasn’t making forward progress. Most of my med school friends were getting ready to take the next step in their lives and I wasn’t. In an instant, everything in my life was thrown into disarray--relationships, self-esteem, job prospects, finances—and I felt completely alone.

I wish I could say I handled rejection gracefully and went right into action mode, but I didn’t. I spent the first two months in self-pity playing a lot of video games. I was resentful and felt like pursuing medicine had been a huge waste of time. Forcing myself to sit down to write my new personal statement was the first step that helped me get out of that funk. From there, I worked my ass off and leveraged any connection or edge I had in the reapplication process.

Staying positive and productive was the hardest battle for me. If I could offer some advice to people in this situation--you need to find a way to stay really, really hard on yourself while at the same time not falling into despair. Your only objective for the next year should be to get your name on a program’s rank list. This starts with the humbling but necessary step of being brutally honest with yourself about why you didn’t match. Unfortunately, medicine as a profession is a breeding ground for entitlement and ego (we've all seen it in pre-meds to attendings). While irritating in a prideful intern, entitlement is poison to an unmatched IMG. There is absolutely no utility in blaming your school, PD, Trump, some difficult SP on your CS or your cheating ex-boyfriend for you not matching. Similarly, several of the articles I came across made the alarming insinuation that foreign IMGs were essentially stealing US residency spots. I find this line of thinking petty and delusional. Nobody stole my spot--or yours. We both failed to match despite the advantage of applying as US citizens. Start from there and avoid any mindset that removes agency from yourself.

I have no doubt that this experience made me a stronger as a person. I became more organized, driven and results-oriented in accomplishing my goals. That said, it was also an exhausting and lonely chapter in my life. One of the things that stood out was the lack of guidance I had for getting back on track. I came across many horror stories from other applicants but found little to feel hopeful about. This is because the normal thing to do once you finally match is to never talk about it again. Although we are all eager to move on, I think there is value in sharing success stories.

I want to let anyone in this situation know that there is hope and that this setback doesn’t have to define them. I am in a much better place in life with no lasting sequelae from not matching. Despite being an IMG deficient in interpersonal skills and medical knowledge (at least according to the CS and CK), I was selected as my program’s chief resident and scored in the top 10% nationally on my boards. When it came time to apply for fellowship, I learned from my past mistakes and matched to a top program. My priorities have shifted from getting back on the rails to deciding where I am actually going. These days I am focused on spouse, kids, mortgage and working as an attending. I carved out a second chance for myself. For many unmatched MDs, your opportunity is out there too!

I am an optimist but I would feel disingenuous if I didn’t also present the other side of the coin. In the pool of thousands of unmatched US MDs, there are those who were overlooked due to fixable factors (bad luck, inadequate preparation, poor soft skills, poor program/specialty selection) and those who unfortunately lack the credentials to ever match (I came across these applicants while on my program’s admissions committee during chief year). Things like conduct issues, substance violations, multiple failed steps, and numerous years out of training become extremely difficult to explain away, especially as an IMG. If you are in this category (like several people I know) you will likely need to make radical compromises in location/specialty or seriously consider contingency plans outside of clinical medicine. Part of your job during your first unmatched year will be to figure out which category you fall into and how to decisively pursue the options in front of you. Regardless of your situation, there is always more to you than medicine.

I wish everyone good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I recently read several articles outlining the struggles that unmatched MDs face. As a US IMG who was in this situation about 7 years ago, this subject hits close to home. It was a difficult experience and I want to share my own journey in hopes of providing realistic encouragement and advice to others.

For context, I was an average medical student (pass/high pass) at an IMG program. I had a strong step 1, mediocre CK, and I failed the CS the first time around. This was mainly due to poor preparation leading to poor time management during the encounters. Although I retook the CS and easily passed a few months later, I ultimately did not match that year. I suspect I was screened out by many programs for the CS fail but I think I also failed to sell myself as a candidate. I took a job working in a clinical setting while I reapplied. I applied to 150+ IM programs and got around 12 interview invites and went to 10 of them. Thankfully, I matched this time.

I will never forget what it felt like to navigate that confusing limbo. Not matching was like hitting a concrete wall. Suddenly, for the first time in my life, I wasn’t making forward progress. Most of my med school friends were getting ready to take the next step in their lives and I wasn’t. In an instant, everything in my life was thrown into disarray--relationships, self-esteem, job prospects, finances—and I felt completely alone.

I wish I could say I handled rejection gracefully and went right into action mode, but I didn’t. I spent the first two months in self-pity playing a lot of video games. I was resentful and felt like pursuing medicine had been a huge waste of time. Forcing myself to sit down to write my new personal statement was the first step that helped me get out of that funk. From there, I worked my ass off and leveraged any connection or edge I had in the reapplication process.

Staying positive and productive was the hardest battle for me. If I could offer some advice to people in this situation--you need to find a way to stay really, really hard on yourself while at the same time not falling into despair. Your only objective for the next year should be to get your name on a program’s rank list. This starts with the humbling but necessary step of being brutally honest with yourself about why you didn’t match. Unfortunately, medicine as a profession is a breeding ground for entitlement and ego (we've all seen it in pre-meds to attendings). While irritating in a prideful intern, entitlement is poison to an unmatched IMG. There is absolutely no utility in blaming your school, PD, Trump, some difficult SP on your CS or your cheating ex-boyfriend for you not matching. Similarly, several of the articles I came across made the alarming insinuation that foreign IMGs were essentially stealing US residency spots. I find this line of thinking petty and delusional. Nobody stole my spot--or yours. We both failed to match despite the advantage of applying as US citizens. Start from there and avoid any mindset that removes agency from yourself.

I have no doubt that this experience made me a stronger as a person. I became more organized, driven and results-oriented in accomplishing my goals. That said, it was also an exhausting and lonely chapter in my life. One of the things that stood out was the lack of guidance I had for getting back on track. I came across many horror stories from other applicants but found little to feel hopeful about. This is because the normal thing to do once you finally match is to never talk about it again. Although we are all eager to move on, I think there is value in sharing success stories.

I want to let anyone in this situation know that there is hope and that this setback doesn’t have to define them. I am in a much better place in life with no lasting sequelae from not matching. Despite being an IMG deficient in interpersonal skills and medical knowledge (at least according to the CS and CK), I was selected as my program’s chief resident and scored in the top 10% nationally on my boards. When it came time to apply for fellowship, I learned from my past mistakes and matched to a top program. My priorities have shifted from getting back on the rails to deciding where I am actually going. These days I am focused on spouse, kids, mortgage and working as an attending. I carved out a second chance for myself. For many unmatched MDs, your opportunity is out there too!

I am an optimist but I would feel disingenuous if I didn’t also present the other side of the coin. In the pool of thousands of unmatched US MDs, there are those who were overlooked due to fixable factors (bad luck, inadequate preparation, poor soft skills, poor program/specialty selection) and those who unfortunately lack the credentials to ever match (I came across these applicants while on my program’s admissions committee during chief year). Things like conduct issues, substance violations, multiple failed steps, and numerous years out of training become extremely difficult to explain away, especially as an IMG. If you are in this category (like several people I know) you will likely need to make radical compromises in location/specialty or seriously consider contingency plans outside of clinical medicine. Part of your job during your first unmatched year will be to figure out which category you fall into and how to decisively pursue the options in front of you. Regardless of your situation, there is always more to you than medicine.

I wish everyone good luck!
Hello,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. What do you think was crucial this time to MATCH? What did you do differently? or what you added?
Thank you so much for the encouragement.

Thank you and no problem.

As a caveat, I'll just say that every applicant is unique and that there is no magic formula for getting in. It can be frustrating to not have a clear path to follow but it also means there are many ways to achieve your goal of matching.

There are a few universal steps that you will need to take .

1) Stay busy during your gap year. It is critical to be able to demonstrate that you remained productive during your year off. In an ideal world, this would be a paid job in a clinical/research setting. I was able to do this in the country I trained it but this is not available to everyone. COVID and hiring freezes have made it even harder. I've seen videos/articles outlining other things to do on your year off. There isn't much time between not matching and reapplying again in the summer so you will need to move quickly. Reach out to your school and contact anyone you know to see if they can help you out.

2) Tell a story. You need to be able to convince programs that you are likely to succeed in residency and beyond. To do this you should give serious thought to how you sell your application. I started with rewriting my personal statement which helped me really hammer out my narrative. I clearly identified my successes and failures during medical school and thought of ways to sell my strengths and spin my failures into strengths. I failed my CS. Instead of writing "...then I failed my CS which really sucked" I probably said something like "not passing the CS the first time led me to identify a systematic error in how I conducted patient interviews. I corrected this error and passed easily a few months later. This experience, while unfortunate, has been very instructive as I have used this self-reflective process in other clinical settings etc etc etc.". A big piece of reinventing yourself will depend on what you decide to do over the next year. Try to find something that fits in with your overall goals. If you are interested in diabetes research and want to become an endocrinologist, choosing to volunteer at a women's shelter may not be the best activity for you. Don't be shy when it comes to projecting long term goals either-- if you've done research or electives in cardiology don't write that you are undecided in your clinical interests. It's much stronger to say that you are inspired by cardiology and see yourself pursuing a fellowship in that area. In 3 years time that may or may not be the case but who cares at that point. Basically, your personal statement and interview should demonstrate trajectory.

3) Connections. If you have connections, use them. It really helps to get people at your school to vouch for you. This is the least fair but also the most important dimension to applying to any position in any profession. If your school's dean is a friend of a PD at X program and calls this PD on your behalf you are very likely to get an interview. No PD in their right mind will rank someone who they feel is unfit but getting that interview is so important. Schedule separate meetings with your school's dean and program director to discuss strategies in this area.

If you have specific questions or want to share more about your application feel free to DM me.

Good luck.