Hopeless

Started by Regeneron
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

How do you accept that you'll never be good enough for a Ferrari? That even at your absolute best, you're just a run of the mill Ford, while you see Ferraris racing by you?

It took me a long, long time to come to the realization that some people are just 'better' (subjectively not in reality). Some guys really do have it all. The best grades, the best speciality, the most money, the good looks, the height, the social skills, the whatever.

The fact of the matter is a lot of these things are out of your control and involve a good bit of luck and inheritance. There will always be people that have more and do more. Until you come to the realization that you are your own person with your own set of challenges you will continue to experience turmoil.
 
Last edited:
It took me a long, long time to come to the realization that some people are just 'better' (subjectively). Some guys really do have it all. The best grades, the best speciality, the most money, the good looks, the height, the social skills, the whatever.

The fact of the matter is a lot of these things are out of your control and involve a good bit of luck and inheritance. There will always be people that have more and do more.

That's the thing. I want to be that guy. That's a great life. Not my pathetic excuse for a life.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that there must be at least ONE other person out there who messed up their undergrad but still got in. I know that I can't be the only one out there whose dug themselves deep... I just want to know if there's anyone else who've dug themselves out a terrible GPA and have gotten into a US MD or DO school. If you are one of those few people, what is your story? How did you do it? What advice can you give me? .

If that is all you're looking for, I would spend many hours reviewing the postbac. forum, starting here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-new-improved-official-low-gpa-thread.125347/. You will find countless stories of people that dug themselves out of comparable holes.
 
That's the thing. I want to be that guy. That's a great life. Not my pathetic excuse for a life.

I should have worded my post differently. I said 'subjectively' because having those things doesn't actually make you a better person.

I felt the same way for a loooooong time. But i know that wont happen, and thats alright. I can't grow another foot, change my facial structure or change my inherent personality. But I can work just as hard as anyone and cut out a great life for myself. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and play to your strengths.
 
Last edited:
How do you accept that you'll never be good enough for a Ferrari? That even at your absolute best, you're just a run of the mill Ford, while you see Ferraris racing by you?
You reevaluate your priorities and decide that viewing the scenery as you travel is of more value than racing by too fast to appreciate what's around you. You find the positives that can arise from the lemons that life hands you.
 
I should have worded my post differently. I said 'subjectively' because having those things doesn't actually make you a better person.

I felt the same way for a loooooong time. But i know that wont happen, and thats alright. I can't grow another foot, change my facial structure or change my inherent personality. But I can work just as hard as anyone and cut out a great life for myself. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and play to your strengths.

If you read my original post, then you'd know that my only strength is my ability to fail classes.

You reevaluate your priorities and decide that viewing the scenery as you travel is of more value than racing by too fast to appreciate what's around you. You find the positives that can arise from the lemons that life hands you.

Tell me what exactly are the positives of my situation? Please, I'd like to know.

If you won't be happy until you are a physician, you will have a very long time being unhappy.

And so my Watch begins.
 
If you just become a primary care doctor are you going to be upset because you aren't top paid orthopedic specialist? Your goals are far from realistic at this point. You should be focused in getting into ANY DO period.

If you place happiness on the other side of success your brain never gets there. Because even if you succeed at one thing the high will last for awhile but it will fade and you'll always be looking for the next promotion. You have to learn to be happy and content in the now.
 
Last edited:
Im not saying that being 30 and starting med school makes you a worse student, I just mean in the sense that you're essentially 7-8 years behind the 23 year old in the game of life since marrying and starting a family in med school and/or residency is just impractical. Med school because lack of money (can't afford a decent wedding, kids, etc while living off student loans), residency because lack of time and money (no point in having kids if you're never home or are too burned out from work at the end of the day to be a good parent). I know not everyone feels this way and people have kids anyway, but personally, I don't see that as a smart move. I guess I'll wait till I'm 40 then to have kids if nothing else lol.

Or you can marry and have kids now... And then apply to medical school
 
Wow, Regeneron and dreamadream should hook up. They'd make a great pair. They could take turns driving the wahhhmbulance. 🙄

Easy for you to say. Be in my position yourself, then we can talk.

If you just become a primary care doctor are you going to be upset because you aren't top paid orthopedic specialist? Your goals are far from realistic at this point. You should be focused in getting into ANY DO period.

If you place happiness on the other side of success your brain never gets there. Because even if you succeed at one thing the high will last for awhile but it will fade and you'll always be looking for the next promotion. You have to learn to be happy and content in the now.

There is nothing to be content with in my "now".

Or you can marry and have kids now... And then apply to medical school

Wow, didn't think of that. That makes even more sense then having them during med school/residency. Absolutely brilliant.
 
That's the thing. I want to be that guy. That's a great life. Not my pathetic excuse for a life.

Well then clean up the mess you made and move forward. Everyone here has offered suggestions and seems to me that you're not considering any of the ideas which really make me think that you're trolling. That and the fact that you just created a new account 😀

Actually, Im really starting to think this OP is trolling.
 
Wow, Regeneron and dreamadream should hook up. They'd make a great pair. They could take turns driving the wahhhmbulance. 🙄


OP is looking for a pity party. 70 thoughtful replies from dozens of people it all gets shot down. Not a sign of someone who is receptive to advice and wants to succeed in getting into medical school.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tell me what exactly are the positives of my situation? Please, I'd like to know.
Most Orthopedists Can Expect to Be Sued

If you practice orthopedic surgery long enough, the odds are good that someone will hit you with this sort of lawsuit, says pathologist David B. Troxel, MD, medical director of The Doctors Company in Napa, California, the nation's largest insurer of physician and surgeon medical liability.

In 2014, patients and families filed malpractice lawsuits against 18% of orthopedic surgeons, he says. According to a 2011 study, orthopedics is the fourth most sued specialty, after neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, and general surgery. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/851706
 
Well then clean up the mess you made and move forward. Everyone here has offered suggestions and seems to me that you're not considering any of the ideas which really make me think that you're trolling. That and the fact that you just created a new account 😀

Actually, Im really starting to think this OP is trolling.

The only suggestion was to retake classes till I'm 30 and then apply to low tier crappy DO schools and hope to get in. I heard the advice, just not thrilled about it. And yea, I know, it's my fault. Not thrilled about that either.

Yep. That's why there is no rush in applying to medical school.

I was being sarcastic. That's a terrible idea. People who do that shouldn't have kids.

Well I have a feeling med schools might feel the same when they see your 2.0

Hopefully by the time I'm 30, they won't.
Most Orthopedists Can Expect to Be Sued

If you practice orthopedic surgery long enough, the odds are good that someone will hit you with this sort of lawsuit, says pathologist David B. Troxel, MD, medical director of The Doctors Company in Napa, California, the nation's largest insurer of physician and surgeon medical liability.

In 2014, patients and families filed malpractice lawsuits against 18% of orthopedic surgeons, he says. According to a 2011 study, orthopedics is the fourth most sued specialty, after neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, and general surgery. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/851706

I see, there's the bright side. I won't be good enough for my dream job and continue to be a failure, but at least I won't have to worry about an 18% chance of being sued. Woopdeedoo.
 
How do you accept that you'll never be good enough for a Ferrari? That even at your absolute best, you're just a run of the mill Ford, while you see Ferraris racing by you?
Okay... there's no way you're 25. you have to be like a college sophomore with terrible grades and catfishing us. You're ridiculous.
 
...I spent my undergraduate years getting drunk, getting high, and chasing tail...

You can do all these things in undergraduate and still get straight A's. I would seriously recommend you think about your ability to perform well in a class before you attempt any retakes. It would be a waste of time and effort to go back to class if you were to just get poor grades again.
 
The OP came in with a set of circumstances seeking advice. Many good people put time and effort into passing on the best possible options for them. They were not pleased to see how rough a road was ahead and also felt insulted by some tough love. Now it has digressed into something that should end. Please preserve this thread's integrity for the people who come after us. Those who are in a similar situation as OP and come here with an open mind ready to do what is needed. Lets end this on a positive note and move on now, together.
 
Hmm... Could you explain?

I mean do I have too? You can't have a family during or before med school when you're living off student loans, or during residency when you're working long long long hours. It's just not doable.

You can do all these things in undergraduate and still get straight A's. I would seriously recommend you think about your ability to perform well in a class before you attempt any retakes. It would be a waste of time and effort to go back to class if you were to just get poor grades again.

Lol, not at the rate of alcohol, weed, and women I was consuming.

The OP came in with a set of circumstances seeking advice. Many good people put time and effort into passing on the best possible options for them. They were not pleased to see how rough a road was ahead and also felt insulted by some tough love. Now it has digressed into something that should end. Please preserve this thread's integrity for the people who come after us. Those who are in a similar situation as OP and come here with an open mind ready to do what is needed. Lets end this on a positive note and move on now, together.

The advice was good, I didn't say it wasn't. It freaking sucks. But that's the story of my life. Just have to accept that my life will never be as great as other peoples. Forgive me if I don't magically swallow that pill overnight.
 
>tfw I could have been one of these people if I didn't end up getting a 72 LizzyM score

I still haven't finishing applying though so I might eat my words later on
 
C'mon man you're delusional. You couldn't match ortho if you went into your back yard, struck oil, put a new building up at your local MD school and purchased a new ortho wing for your chosen residency program.

Give up your dream, you screwed it up so take the lesson learned and acquire a new target.
 
>tfw I could have been one of these people if I didn't end up getting a 72 LizzyM score

I still haven't finishing applying though so I might eat my words later on
With a 2.0 the highest LM you can get is a 65 so I'm not sure what you're talking about or what your point is haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
C'mon man you're delusional. You couldn't match ortho if you went into your back yard, struck oil, put a new building up at your local MD school and purchased a new ortho wing for your chosen residency program.

Give up your dream, you screwed it up so take the lesson learned and acquire a new target.

Ah another negative naysayer. Keep it up. It just makes me want it more.
 
Not at all. The satisfaction of caring for the vulnerable, of a job well done, could have been achieved in other professions.
My happiness is not dependent on being a physician.

Oh please give me a break. I love it when people say they became a physician because of some elaborated version of "wanting to help sick people." Nurses help sick people, PAs help sick people, even PCAs and EMTs help sick people on some base level.

Why then put yourself through 4 years of med school and residency? Because on some level to you, "wanting to help sick people" isn't enough. You want to be the person IN CHARGE of the decision making. You are attracted to the power and the status it brings. You and so many others just choose to coat that fact with fancy words and phrases to make it seem like its a more altruistic goal than it really is.
 
I mean do I have too? You can't have a family during or before med school when you're living off student loans, or during residency when you're working long long long hours. It's just not doable.

There are 9 parents in my class currently. Definitely doable if in the right situation.

But really OP, you really have no choice but a few more years of school to retake classes/Post-Bacc/etc... Your GPA screams "not smart enough for med school" (let alone the whole ortho or bust mentality). You dug a hole and there is no shortcut out other than to climb up.
 
Oh please give me a break. I love it when people say they became a physician because of some elaborated version of "wanting to help sick people." Nurses help sick people, PAs help sick people, even PCAs and EMTs help sick people on some base level.

Why then put yourself through 4 years of med school and residency? Because on some level to you, "wanting to help sick people" isn't enough. You want to be the person IN CHARGE of the decision making. You are attracted to the power and the status it brings. You and so many others just choose to coat that fact with fancy words and phrases to make it seem like its a more altruistic goal than it really is.
It was the best way I could use my skills to help others.
It has allowed me to be a voice for the voiceless on a local, state and federal level.
I'm quite confident that I would have found a way to be of service in another way had I not been honored with this opportunity.
I'm glad that I did it, but my happiness is a separate issue.
 
Ah another negative naysayer. Keep it up. It just makes me want it more.

And I want a 500 million dollars and a $40M super yacht. The difference between my want and your want is that I have a chance to obtain mine, they draw them ping pong balls randomly every few days...
 
There are 9 parents in my class currently. Definitely doable if in the right situation.

But really OP, you really have no choice but a few more years of school to retake classes/Post-Bacc/etc... Your GPA screams "not smart enough for med school" (let alone the whole ortho or bust mentality). You dug a hole and there is no shortcut out other than to climb up.

Nah, they're doing it wrong. Can't take care of children during the hell that is residency.

It was the best way I could use my skills to help others.
It has allowed me to be a voice for the voiceless on a local, state and federal level.
I'm quite confident that I would have found a way to be of service in another way had I not been honored with this opportunity.
I'm glad that I did it, but my happiness is a separate issue.

All fancy ways of saying "I like power and the status of being an MD". Come on man, don't be in denial. Admit it. Admit that you like the title of "MD".

You still use those skills as a nurse or a PA, or surgical tech, or a paramedic. But yet the question still remains, why pursue the letters MD?

And I want a 500 million dollars and a $40M super yacht. The difference between my want and your want is that I have a chance to obtain mine, they draw them ping pong balls randomly every few days...

Your chances of actually winning those things are so small I may as well be the world's greatest ortho surgeon by that logic.
 
[QUOTE="Regeneron, post: 17907177, member: 782731"

Your chances of actually winning those things are so small I may as well be the world's greatest ortho surgeon by that logic.[/QUOTE]


thatsthejoke.jpg
 
I think you're really exaggerating the "power and status" of being a doctor. If you want those things you have to make it big in business or entertainment.
 
What I meant was that I can at least improve my chances by following the advice given here. You can't.

There is only one person in denial here, and I'm pretty sure it isn't me.

You still haven't answered why specifically you wanted the "MD" as opposed to an RN or a PA. Well I guess you did in a way, "best way to use your skills" (as if people have specific skills just for being an MD), "voice for people on a national level" (yea, that's also called power), but of course, keep telling yourself that its some kind of altruistic reason when in reality you know you did it for the status and the benefits that brings.[/QUOTE]
 
All fancy ways of saying "I like power and the status of being an MD". Come on man, don't be in denial. Admit it. Admit that you like the title of "MD". You still use those skills as a nurse or a PA, or surgical tech, or a paramedic.

That's the thing. I want to be that guy. That's a great life. Not my pathetic excuse for a life.

Ahh, so there we go, I wouldn't be surprised if your dreamatroll's Jekyll. You want to be that guy, you want to be the big shot, but you had your opportunity and you blew it. There were plenty of people now, who did all that you did during undergrad, but the difference is that they are MD's, and well, your the boss of your own cubicle.

Truth is this, you barely passed in undergrad, and somehow expect to be at the top of the mountain in medical school. Sure. And your concerns about DO school due to matching into more competitive residencies? Here's a MD for you: "Most Delusional"
 
What I meant was that I can at least improve my chances by following the advice given here. You can't.



You still haven't answered why specifically you wanted the "MD" as opposed to an RN or a PA. Well I guess you did in a way, "best way to use your skills" (as if people have specific skills just for being an MD), "voice for people on a national level" (yea, that's also called power), but of course, keep telling yourself that its some kind of altruistic reason when in reality you know you did it for the status and the benefits that brings.

I know you're trolling, but you do realize that nurses and doctors do different jobs and have different skill sets, right? So yes, there are specific skills utilized by MDs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You still haven't answered why specifically you wanted the "MD" as opposed to an RN or a PA. Well I guess you did in a way, "best way to use your skills" (as if people have specific skills just for being an MD), "voice for people on a national level" (yea, that's also called power), but of course, keep telling yourself that its some kind of altruistic reason when in reality you know you did it for the status and the benefits that brings.[/QUOTE]
Without altruism, the odds of reaping benefits are modest, at best. Bitterness, perhaps.
 
Threads like this is where I feel new accounts should be subjected to a 72 hour wait before being allowed to post a thread, by then the troll either is busy or realizes how sad he is. That or .edu accounts be made mandatory.
 
Ahh, so there we go, I wouldn't be surprised if your dreamatroll's Jekyll. You want to be that guy, you want to be the big shot, but you had your opportunity and you blew it. There were plenty of people now, who did all that you did during undergrad, but the difference is that they are MD's, and well, your the boss of your own cubicle.

Truth is this, you barely passed in undergrad, and somehow expect to be at the top of the mountain in medical school. Sure. And your concerns about DO school due to matching into more competitive residencies? Here's a MD for you: "Most Delusional"

Hahaha wow, you're some special kind of person you know that? Maybe that's what it take to be in med school. To be a judgemental, egotistical narcissist, who thinks they're so much better than a working person because they're in med school. Sure man, I'm the boss of my own cubicle, I'm earning good money (although not a doctors salary), and have a good life outside the library. I don't know why you have to be such an @$$ just because you happen to read more and live off student loans. Whatever buddy, looks like I'm not the only delusional one here.
 
Hahaha wow, you're some special kind of person you know that? Maybe that's what it take to be in med school. To be a judgemental, egotistical narcissist, who thinks they're so much better than a working person because they're in med school. Sure man, I'm the boss of my own cubicle, I'm earning good money (although not a doctors salary), and have a good life outside the library. I don't know why you have to be such an @$$ just because you happen to read more and live off student loans. Whatever buddy, looks like I'm not the only delusional one here.

Perhaps, but I be in the Ferrari driving by while you be in that nice old Ford. Since Winter is coming, if the heater breaks, you can just keep on wearing that high school letterman jacket you love oh so much to keep you warm big man.
 
Threads like this is where I feel new accounts should be subjected to a 72 hour wait before being allowed to post a thread, by then the troll either is busy or realizes how sad he is. That or .edu accounts be made mandatory.
That would block out a bunch of the legitimate nontrads though
Hahaha wow, you're some special kind of person you know that? Maybe that's what it take to be in med school. To be a judgemental, egotistical narcissist, who thinks they're so much better than a working person because they're in med school. Sure man, I'm the boss of my own cubicle, I'm earning good money (although not a doctors salary), and have a good life outside the library. I don't know why you have to be such an @$$ just because you happen to read more and live off student loans. Whatever buddy, looks like I'm not the only delusional one here.
Dude, why are you here? What do you hope to accomplish?