Hoping for honest opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation, weak extracurricular and aiming for mid-tier schools. GPA ~ 3.71, biology major in a decent undergrad. I have done 200+ volunteer hrs in the ER and continues to. Shadowed an opthamologist and a pediatrician, totaling ~50 hours. I was a tutor for elementary kids for 2 years. Club member for two years but no distinct leadership position but since I started doing research and started a side job, I have stopped attending the club. Been doing research in a biochemistry lab for 2 years (possibility of a 2nd author by the end of the year). Considering non-clincial volunteer work for next semester. Have not taken the MCAT yet. I am hoping to apply this upcoming cycle, but with strong letters of recommendation, a good MCAT score, and compelling personal statement, will they help with my weak ECs. Any advice much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Change nothing, you're doing great!

Here's my situation, weak extracurricular and aiming for mid-tier schools. GPA ~ 3.71, biology major in a decent undergrad. I have done 200+ volunteer hrs in the ER and continues to. Shadowed an opthamologist and a pediatrician, totaling ~50 hours. I was a tutor for elementary kids for 2 years. Club member for two years but no distinct leadership position but since I started doing research and started a side job, I have stopped attending the club. Been doing research in a biochemistry lab for 2 years (possibility of a 2nd author by the end of the year). Considering non-clincial volunteer work for next semester. Have not taken the MCAT yet. I am hoping to apply this upcoming cycle, but with strong letters of recommendation, a good MCAT score, and compelling personal statement, will they help with my weak ECs. Any advice much appreciated! Thanks!

If you do well on the MCAT then it sounds like you will be a competitive applicant. Good Luck.

I agree with the above-- just make sure you do well on the MCAT! Also still just make sure to apply broadly since this is a crazy process