Pritzker vs Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milotic Med

Reaction score
Just got the call from Hopkins and have a few days to decide! Currently planned to enroll at UChicago.

My goals: I want to match into a top internal medicine program and also have a fun, meaningful experience in medical school

Pritzker:
(++) Loved Revisit and the warm/friendly vibes of the school. When I was on campus in April, I had a feeling in my gut and in my heart that I’d find a home here.
(++) Love Chicago as a city, can imagine exploring different neighborhoods and swimming in Lake Michigan
(+) Diverse class, especially in terms of race and socioeconomic status. I think my peers would push me to consider different perspectives and grow in new ways
(+) Debt-free

(-) Cold winters
(-) Graded clerkships, though not a dealbreaker because they’re uncurved
(- -) Not as prestigious within medicine, match list not as competitive

Hopkins:
(++) It’s Hopkins. I feel like the name would follow me for life. Their match list is god-tier, with almost all internal medicine matches going to MGH/Hopkins/Brigham/UCSF. My friends are calling my Hopkins admission a “golden ticket”
(++) Unrivaled research opportunities. I’m very interested in heme/onc and there is so much productive work going on in this field here
(+) Caliber of my peers may be a bit higher? I want to be surrounded by people who will push me to succeed at the highest level
(+) P/F all four years with no rankings

(- -) Didn’t get to visit so I do not have a strong sense of the culture or vibes or community
(- -) Not a fan of Baltimore. Just a tad bit dreary and doesn’t really hold a candle to Chicago
(-) Class is not as diverse, with a very small Latinx and black population compared to pritzker.
(-) $160k loans

Members don't see this ad.

Jumping ahead of everyone. UChicago all the way bc debt free. No other factor is important and substantial enough to trump that if I were you.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like the differentiating factor between these schools is the match potential vs the cost. I've heard Hopkins has a great sense of community and the rumor of competitiveness among the student body is unfounded. I'm sure you've done your research, but check out testimonials on here from past years and students who were able to attend their second look day. There's no question it will be slightly easier to match a top three IM program and stay in academics from Hopkins, but that does not mean it's impossible to do the same thing from Pritzker. Give a little thought to how student debt would impact your lifestyle (more like 200k with interest), and if you think you can manage it, I would seriously consider Hopkins.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Pritzker is not going to limit you in any way, shape, or form. Plus no debt! Seems like an easy decision

Just got the call from Hopkins and have a few days to decide! Currently planned to enroll at UChicago.

My goals: I want to match into a top internal medicine program and also have a fun, meaningful experience in medical school

Pritzker:
(++) Loved Revisit and the warm/friendly vibes of the school. When I was on campus in April, I had a feeling in my gut and in my heart that I’d find a home here.
(++) Love Chicago as a city, can imagine exploring different neighborhoods and swimming in Lake Michigan
(+) Diverse class, especially in terms of race and socioeconomic status. I think my peers would push me to consider different perspectives and grow in new ways
(+) Debt-free

(-) Cold winters
(-) Graded clerkships, though not a dealbreaker because they’re uncurved
(- -) Not as prestigious within medicine, match list not as competitive

Hopkins:
(++) It’s Hopkins. I feel like the name would follow me for life. Their match list is god-tier, with almost all internal medicine matches going to MGH/Hopkins/Brigham/UCSF. My friends are calling my Hopkins admission a “golden ticket”
(++) Unrivaled research opportunities. I’m very interested in heme/onc and there is so much productive work going on in this field here
(+) Caliber of my peers may be a bit higher? I want to be surrounded by people who will push me to succeed at the highest level
(+) P/F all four years with no rankings

(- -) Didn’t get to visit so I do not have a strong sense of the culture or vibes or community
(- -) Not a fan of Baltimore. Just a tad bit dreary and doesn’t really hold a candle to Chicago
(-) Class is not as diverse, with a very small Latinx and black population compared to pritzker.
(-) $160k loans
I would caution you against using the term "Latinx." We have good polling on the topic and Hispanics overwhelmingly prefer to be referred to as "Hispanic" or "Latino". Only 2% of Hispanics use the term "Latinx." And a whopping 50% of Hispanics are offended by the term "Latinx."

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users