horses doped for stones' show

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twosoakers

Addict & Western U '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Horses may be doped for Stones gig

POSTED: 1:51 p.m. EDT, April 18, 2007

var clickExpire = "05/2/2007"; Story Highlights

• Animal lovers upset that horses may be drugged for gig
• Stable owners fear music will make animals skittish
• Animal welfare campaigners say drugs not the answer

Adjust font size:

BELGRADE, Serbia (Reuters) -- Preparations to sedate as many as 300 horses stabled at Belgrade's racecourse to keep them calm during a Rolling Stones concert have enraged Serb animal lovers who are lobbying to have the gig moved to another venue.
The concert is expected to draw more than 100,000 people to the Hippodrome, Belgrade's largest fenced space. The horses will be only a few meters from the stage.
"Horses differ, the same as people. Some are more nervous, more skittish," said hostler Jovanka Prelic. "If they get too nervous or start to panic during the concert, they'll get sedatives."
The dozen equestrian clubs at the course were hoping concert organizers would allow a sufficient number of personnel to be at the stables during the concert to give the animals the pills, Prelic added.
Serbia's biggest animal protection society, ORCA, says holding the concert would be extremely harmful to the horses, and sedating them is not the answer.
"Research has shown that noise and vibrations are the strongest causes of stress to animals," Elvir Burazerovic, head of ORCA, told Reuters.
"Surely our big city has enough open spaces where even 150,000 people can fit in. We think the Hippodrome should be left to horses," he said.
Moving the horses elsewhere was not an option, he added.
"Transport also causes a lot of stress and besides, there's no alternative location for the horses."
The sedative would be diazepam. In Serbia it trades under the name Bensedin, a very popular drug during the 78 days of NATO air strikes in 1999, when much of Belgrade's adult population was on tranquillizers.
ORCA said that if it failed to convince the organizers to change the concert venue, it would contact the Rolling Stones directly and ask them to use their influence.
"I believe we'll succeed since such a reputable band will not allow such a stain on its record," Burazerovic said.
The band have never played in Serbia. A 2003 concert was cancelled due to the assassination of then Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic, and a 2006 date scrapped after guitarist Keith Richards suffered a head injury while on vacation.
This year's concert is scheduled for July 14.
Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Members don't see this ad.

Man...my roommate just told me about this...ridiculous, isn't it? Like they couldn't find any other place in the entire city to play?

Maybe the organizers should be strapped to a bed and forced to listen to the loudest music (that they hate) possible? A very unfortunate situation....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, not going to work if they plan on giving tranq's after the horses "panic." Correct me if I'm wrong.

This should be a question on the ethics website from that other thread. Which would you choose:

a. Tranquilize the horses before the concert, make sure they all have hay to munch on, insert ear plugs. (animal-hater)
b. Make the 'Stones play somewhere else. (animal rights activist)
c. Make the 'Stones play "Wild Horses." (respect for nature)

OK so forgive me for being the bad guy... obviously it would be ideal for them to move the venue, but what's the big deal really? Tranquilizing the horses wont hurt them, and if it eases the amount of stress they would have otherwise, isn't it serving a good purpose? They should however traq them before the venue, not during if they want it to take effect. I just don't see how this is any different than giving them to your dog on the fourth of July or (as I may do this summer) your cat during a long drive (like moving out of state). It's definitely better than having the concert and leaving the horses to deal with it. If they refuse to move the venue and it decreases the amount of the horses' anxiety, why not?

This should be a question on the ethics website from that other thread. Which would you choose:

a. Tranquilize the horses before the concert, make sure they all have hay to munch on, insert ear plugs. (animal-hater)
b. Make the 'Stones play somewhere else. (animal rights activist)
c. Make the 'Stones play "Wild Horses." (respect for nature)

lol MissBehavior

OK so forgive me for being the bad guy... obviously it would be ideal for them to move the venue, but what's the big deal really? Tranquilizing the horses wont hurt them, and if it eases the amount of stress they would have otherwise, isn't it serving a good purpose? They should however traq them before the venue, not during if they want it to take effect. I just don't see how this is any different than giving them to your dog on the fourth of July or (as I may do this summer) your cat during a long drive (like moving out of state). It's definitely better than having the concert and leaving the horses to deal with it. If they refuse to move the venue and it decreases the amount of the horses' anxiety, why not?

I concur with QTkitty, especially after reading about the success of concerts at Churchill Downs... See: http://www.bloodhorse.com/articleindex/article.asp?id=35554

If they don't have loud explosions and totally go nuts, it does not appear to bother the horses that much. Tranquilizing the horses ahead of time is actually being more careful...

I would actually be concerned about hearing loss (I have no clue about the set-up though, so this might not really be a factor), because as flight animals, horses depend a lot on hearing, and while it may not be as important for domesticated horses as far as actually staying alive goes, I still think hearing is very important for them! Also, I don't think too many people are going to want to adopt crazy ex-track horse who is also deaf.

Plus, if you sedate horses, aren't they ineligible to race for a certain number of days--I might be wrong on this, does anyone know?

So no one cares about half the humans at the show being doped??? :D

:idea: Earplugs are commonly used on show horses who can't handle the crackling sounds of a PA system, roaring applause, etc. It seems logical to use them in this situation. Don't really know if they'd protect against hearing loss though, as they are designed differently than human ear plugs. And actually, a crazy ex-racehorse who's a little deaf may be easier to handle!:)