Hospital intern jobs

Started by luke123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

luke123

Clinical Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am trying to get intern jobs at hospitals and I am having a difficult time because I don't have hospital experience. I have 4 years of tech work at a retail store, but how do you convince them to give you a chance to show what you're made of?
 
I am trying to get intern jobs at hospitals and I am having a difficult time because I don't have hospital experience. I have 4 years of tech work at a retail store, but how do you convince them to give you a chance to show what you're made of?

Could you try volunteering there for a bit? That would show your interest in the field and give them a chance to get to know you.
 
I am trying to get intern jobs at hospitals and I am having a difficult time because I don't have hospital experience. I have 4 years of tech work at a retail store, but how do you convince them to give you a chance to show what you're made of?

You cold call / bust down the door. Networking through ASHP works very well. It's usually who you know when it comes to paid intern positions. Either "A" you worked at the hospital previously; or "B" they knew someone who gave them an in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My hospital internship was actually pretty easy to get. I was a P1 and I had a pulse lol.
 
Good point; however, it does earn me valuable experience, it pays reasonably well, and frankly it's an excellent way to network and make impressions. Not always a good thing (the impressions part).
 
My hospital internship was actually pretty easy to get. I was a P1 and I had a pulse lol.


Yes, well I have 4 years of experience just not hospital. I unfortunately dont have the time to volunteer as I am going to school, work, and live on my own. As much as I would like to volunteer, I must pay for the bills first. I applied for the job and all I got was an email saying were looking at other candidates.... I think my resume is really good, and I have had others look at it. They don't understand it either, just because I haven't worked at a hospital before does not mean I am not capable .