Hospital intern jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke123

Clinical Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get intern jobs at hospitals and I am having a difficult time because I don't have hospital experience. I have 4 years of tech work at a retail store, but how do you convince them to give you a chance to show what you're made of?

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to get intern jobs at hospitals and I am having a difficult time because I don't have hospital experience. I have 4 years of tech work at a retail store, but how do you convince them to give you a chance to show what you're made of?

Could you try volunteering there for a bit? That would show your interest in the field and give them a chance to get to know you.

You cold call / bust down the door. Networking through ASHP works very well. It's usually who you know when it comes to paid intern positions. Either "A" you worked at the hospital previously; or "B" they knew someone who gave them an in.

Members don't see this ad :)
My hospital internship was actually pretty easy to get. I was a P1 and I had a pulse lol.

Good point; however, it does earn me valuable experience, it pays reasonably well, and frankly it's an excellent way to network and make impressions. Not always a good thing (the impressions part).

My hospital internship was actually pretty easy to get. I was a P1 and I had a pulse lol.

Yes, well I have 4 years of experience just not hospital. I unfortunately dont have the time to volunteer as I am going to school, work, and live on my own. As much as I would like to volunteer, I must pay for the bills first. I applied for the job and all I got was an email saying were looking at other candidates.... I think my resume is really good, and I have had others look at it. They don't understand it either, just because I haven't worked at a hospital before does not mean I am not capable .