Hospital Pharmacist interview tips needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuLu89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a community pharmacist and I finally got an interview for a hospital position. It will be with 5 interviewers and over the phone due to COVID. Any advice? I have only 2 days to prepare for the interview,

Members don't see this ad.

Avoid any mention of wanting to leave retail. Everybody knows retail sucks and you don't want to look like you'll take the first out you're given. It's important to have reasons for why THIS hospital is perfect for you. Other than that, prepare for behavioral type questions like "tell me about a time when..." And google the STAR method of interviewing. Overall, be likable and willing to learn. It's more about personality fit than having the all knowledge and experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Avoid any mention of wanting to leave retail. Everybody knows retail sucks and you don't want to look like you'll take the first out you're given. It's important to have reasons for why THIS hospital is perfect for you. Other than that, prepare for behavioral type questions like "tell me about a time when..." And google the STAR method of interviewing. Overall, be likable and willing to learn. It's more about personality fit than having the all knowledge and experience.
Thank you so much for your input. When I asked the interviewer if the interview will be behavioral type, she said " it will be more so we are trying to get to know you" does that mean it will be more general than behavioral? I have never made it this far in the interview process and do not have a clue about what to really prepare for based of her answer

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your input. When I asked the interviewer if the interview will be behavioral type, she said " it will be more so we are trying to get to know you" does that mean it will be more general than behavioral? I have never made it this far in the interview process and do not have a clue about what to really prepare for based of her answer

For my current position, hospital overnight, I was asked both behavioral and clinical questions. Lots of "tell me about a time when..." you worked with a coworker you didn't like, you had to confront someone, you caught a mistake, etc. One of them was something like, "describe how you would handle this situation" involving a critical Vanco trough resulting, a code needing pressers, verifying a new start PCA pump, a nurse calling about a missing med, and meds for the run needing checked, all at the same time. Not that you will get that question, but try and reflect on what happens in hospital and what you will do to prioritize things, especially if you will ever be working alone. This is when you're experience from retail will come into play - that position makes you a master at prioritizing and handling stress.

Good questions for you to ask will what is the staffing like as far as how many other rphs/techs will I be working with, how much training is available, will I be able to cross-train. I would spend some time writing out something possible questions and responses to get your thoughts together, and have a copy of that and your resume up on your computer when you take the phone call. It helps to have something to reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For my current position, hospital overnight, I was asked both behavioral and clinical questions. Lots of "tell me about a time when..." you worked with a coworker you didn't like, you had to confront someone, you caught a mistake, etc. One of them was something like, "describe how you would handle this situation" involving a critical Vanco trough resulting, a code needing pressers, verifying a new start PCA pump, a nurse calling about a missing med, and meds for the run needing checked, all at the same time. Not that you will get that question, but try and reflect on what happens in hospital and what you will do to prioritize things, especially if you will ever be working alone. This is when you're experience from retail will come into play - that position makes you a master at prioritizing and handling stress.

Good questions for you to ask will what is the staffing like as far as how many other rphs/techs will I be working with, how much training is available, will I be able to cross-train. I would spend some time writing out something possible questions and responses to get your thoughts together, and have a copy of that and your resume up on your computer when you take the phone call. It helps to have something to reference.
Sometimes the interviewer might ask a what would you recommend scenario based on a recent published guidelines. They asked that question for one of my colleagues applying for a hospital job. For example, the interviewer asked A physician asks you What would you recommend as empiric antibiotic therapy for a patient with CAP, dose strength etc. Be prepared that the interviewer will ask at least one clinical or two clinical questions.

The only thing is it probably won’t be all clinical like a residency interview

Can you work overnights and evening? Are you flexible?

I wasn't asked any clinical questions for my inpatient position. I did have similar questions about prioritization though and as mentioned before, that's where your retail experience comes in. I talked about prioritizing waiters, people in the store, critical medications such as acute need meds, then phone calls, drive thru and non-waiters.