Hospitalist Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We all need ~20% raise over 3 years.

1673224380788.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
unionization was likely the cause they could get this approved no?

unionization was likely the cause they could get this approved no?
Maybe we should get unionized as well so we don't get [insert] by the bean counter.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested. Posted in the hospitalist FB group

Portsmouth NH
Days 7-7
Community Academic with Tufts Affiliation
Academic appointments available
7 services daily:
5 IM, 1 FM, 1 non teaching
Currently recruiting for IM as FM service staffed
Average census 17
330k/year
5 K CME
1 hour to Boston and a beautiful area
No sales or income tax
DM or email me
[email protected]

How is this offer guys?
Small acute care hospital with around 40 beds, only 2 hospitalists during day time and one at night.
No procedures but have to run codes.
The average census is around 10 patients per day.
Pro's
1.) Pay of 1800/shift
2.) Sign on bonus 50k
3.) Relocation of 10k and annual CME of 6k
4.) Decent midwest location, 2 hrs from Chicago.

Con's
1.) Not much subspeciality support except for cards, nephro and neuro
2.) Usually it's just the regular IM cases, complex cases gets transferred to a tertiary care around 15 minutes away.

What I feel is that the work load would be less.
I have to do minimum 14shifts/day, additional shifts are paid at 2100/day.

How is this offer guys?
Small acute care hospital with around 40 beds, only 2 hospitalists during day time and one at night.
Pro's
1.) Pay of 1800/shift
2.) Sign on bonus 50k

Con's
2.) Usually it's just the regular IM cases, complex cases gets transferred to a tertiary care around 15 minutes away.

That's a pretty small hospital. You sure 'no procedures'? Usually at such small rural hospitals, the hospitalist is asked to intubate, place lines, etc. Maybe. Unless there's a dedicated intensivist and/or IR.

That's a pretty small hospital. You sure 'no procedures'? Usually at such small rural hospitals, the hospitalist is asked to intubate, place lines, etc. Maybe. Unless there's a dedicated intensivist and/or IR.
There is a small ICU and intensivist during day time, I was told that the there is a vascular team who usually do the procedures..

Was anyone able to include sick leave and paternity leave in the contract, while working 7on/7off?

How is this offer guys?
Pro's
1.) Pay of 1800/shift
2.) Sign on bonus 50k

Con's

that sounds eerily similar to where I used to work in Illinois - not sure where you are from (is Illinois home?) - but some of those rural places can get interesting

that sounds eerily similar to where I used to work in Illinois - not sure where you are from (is Illinois home?) - but some of those rural places can get interesting
Really?

I can private message you the details..How was your experience?

Really?

I can private message you the details..How was your experience?
FYI- I am a pharmacist, so my experience will be very different (and it was 15+ years ago- lol) but I will shoot you a PM

How is this offer guys?
Pro's
1.) Pay of 1800/shift
2.) Sign on bonus 50k

Con's

Decent offer, but keep in mind 10 pts with minimal subspecialty support could end up being as much work as 15-18 pts at a hospital will full subspeciality support. Also would not trust the census they quote you; it can could go much higher than that if the hospital gets busy (depending a variety of factors, some of which the hospital might not have control over). While $1800 per shift is pretty good for those quoted census numbers (and $50k signon + 10k relocation bonus is solid), without any RVU portion to your compensation, you could end up seeing much more than 10 per day without any extra pay. Also, if there's only 2 hospitalists on during the day (and presumably no dedicated admitter), except to be admitting during about half of your shifts (either taking turns switching who is admitting that day, or just alternating admitting back and forth everyday). And thus for at least half your shifts you'll likely have to stay the whole time and not have the option of "round and go" on those shifts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was anyone able to include sick leave and paternity leave in the contract, while working 7on/7off?
Generally not common for 7on/7off schedules, as your off weeks are your time off; any other time would either be unpaid or require making up missed shifts to keep the same amount of pay. And at most hospitalist groups, if it's not already offered to the current hospitalists, they probably won't accommodate this for a newly hired day-shift hospitalist. A possible exception is if for nocturnist positions; since it's there's a lot less people out there willing to work nights and they are the minority in their group, some places may be more desperate for full time night coverage and be more willing to negotiate for their nocturnists.

Decent offer, but keep in mind 10 pts with minimal subspecialty support could end up being as much work as 15-18 pts at a hospital will full subspeciality support. Also would not trust the census they quote you; it can could go much higher than that if the hospital gets busy (depending a variety of factors, some of which the hospital might not have control over). While $1800 per shift is pretty good for those quoted census numbers (and $50k signon + 10k relocation bonus is solid), without any RVU portion to your compensation, you could end up seeing much more than 10 per day without any extra pay. Also, if there's only 2 hospitalists on during the day (and presumably no dedicated admitter), except to be admitting during about half of your shifts (either taking turns switching who is admitting that day, or just alternating admitting back and forth everyday). And thus for at least half your shifts you'll likely have to stay the whole time and not have the option of "round and go" on those shifts.
Yup, ttly understand it..I dont mind staying till 7, just hope I dont get bombarded with admits in the evening..Regarding other sub-speciality's they told me that we can always consult them virtually and they would put a note on the patient..

You should, along with PTO. But be weary of these small hospitals. Just b/c they include it in your contract doesn't mean it'll be easy to take time off, exactly when you want it. Every time you do take time off, one of your colleagues will have to cover. If they can't, the hospital will have to go locums to find coverage. They'll make you sweat that.

That's why I like working in a larger group (larger hospital). Easier to find coverage. Also easier to work more (provide coverage), if you so desire it.

What's the best way to use CME money of 6000$/year??

BLS/ALS recert in Maui.

You should, along with PTO. But be weary of these small hospitals. Just b/c they include it in your contract doesn't mean it'll be easy to take time off, exactly when you want it. Every time you do take time off, one of your colleagues will have to cover. If they can't, the hospital will have to go locums to find coverage. They'll make you sweat that.

That's why I like working in a larger group (larger hospital). Easier to find coverage. Also easier to work more (provide coverage), if you so desire it.

BLS/ALS recert in Maui.
Work more in the sense, do additional shifts?? The Hospital has 2 more branches, where it is kinda easy to take up additional shifts.

Yeah let's go to Hawaii for BLS/ALS...:love:

Yup, ttly understand it..I dont mind staying till 7, just hope I dont get bombarded with admits in the evening..Regarding other sub-speciality's they told me that we can always consult them virtually and they would put a note on the patient..

Have you ever met an ED doc? 😂

4pm-7pm are prime admitting times

• Haha
I dont mind staying till 7, just hope I dont get bombarded with admits in the evening..
Is there any way to find out when ED docs usually sign out/when their shift ends? Ours finish at 7 and we get bloused hard 6 to 7 pm

The virtual consults are okay alternative, but if the subspecialty only puts recommendations but none of the orders for the tests or medications they recommend, it ends up being a lot more work for you for each patient (especially the more complex ones with multiple specialties involved).

Staying for a full 12 hr shift (assuming 7am-7pm) every single day you work can lead to burnout after a while and not sustainable long-term for many. At most hospitals early evening is prime admitting time so unless your group has extra staffing to help with admissions at that time, or it has its own internal policy to allow you to stop taking admissions a certain time before your shift ends and pass them onto the night shift, you could get bombarded on a lot of days and end staying late.

The virtual consults are okay alternative, but if the subspecialty only puts recommendations but none of the orders for the tests or medications they recommend, it ends up being a lot more work for you for each patient (especially the more complex ones with multiple specialties involved).

Staying for a full 12 hr shift (assuming 7am-7pm) every single day you work can lead to burnout after a while and not sustainable long-term for many. At most hospitals early evening is prime admitting time so unless your group has extra staffing to help with admissions at that time, or it has its own internal policy to allow you to stop taking admissions a certain time before your shift ends and pass them onto the night shift, you could get bombarded on a lot of days and end staying late.
I have been searching almost every place requires us to stay for the full 12 hrs right? I need Visa also, so options are limited...