hotel checkout during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeball01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
since most hotels make us check out at 11am (1pm for late check out), and assuming we aren't renting a car, what are we suppose to do with our luggage since interviews usually go to at least 3pm which means we will have to check out before we go on our interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Most hotels will let you keep your things behind the desk if you explain that you're going on an interview.

I have a simular situation and I was wandering if it would be wrong to ask someone at the hospital where I could store a bag. I guess I could go back to the hotel but I'm on a tight schedule to get to the airport.

Almost every program and every hotel will hang on to your luggage during your interview day. Don't worry about it. Trust me, you're not the first person to have to go straight from the interview to the airport. The PC has seen and done it all before.

Almost every program and every hotel will hang on to your luggage during your interview day. Don't worry about it. Trust me, you're not the first person to have to go straight from the interview to the airport. The PC has seen and done it all before.

I know this might sound a stupid question, but I rather ask. If I'm going to be leaving from the interview day directly to the airport and I won't be renting a car either, is it ok to ask the PC to call a cab or are you expected to do that ahead of time by yourself?

I know this might sound a stupid question, but I rather ask. If I'm going to be leaving from the interview day directly to the airport and I won't be renting a car either, is it ok to ask the PC to call a cab or are you expected to do that ahead of time by yourself?

Can't you find out when the interview ends and have a cab# ready and call them up?

Umm that's the problem, they haven't mentioned the exact time of when the interview day will end.

Try calling in and asking for a general time frame. If they haven't given you one, i'm sure they have an itinerary for the day. They've ran interviews for YEARS (unless it's a new program).

Umm that's the problem, they haven't mentioned the exact time of when the interview day will end.

More than half the interviews I went to, the PC asked at the beginning of the day if anyone was going straight to the airport and if they needed a cab, those who said yes had one waiting for them at the end of the interview day. If that doesn't happen, just ask when you get there.

Also, if you're trying to make an early (before 6p) flight, be sure the PC knows that now so they adjust your schedule so you have time to make your flight. If you're in NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, you need to be leaving your interview ~3 hours before your flight if you have any hope of making it on time (exception maybe for leaving UChicago and going to Midway). Don't expect to leave an interview @ 4:30 and make a 6p flight.

More than half the interviews I went to, the PC asked at the beginning of the day if anyone was going straight to the airport and if they needed a cab, those who said yes had one waiting for them at the end of the interview day. If that doesn't happen, just ask when you get there.

Also, if you're trying to make an early (before 6p) flight, be sure the PC knows that now so they adjust your schedule so you have time to make your flight. If you're in NYC, Chicago, Boston, SF, you need to be leaving your interview ~3 hours before your flight if you have any hope of making it on time (exception maybe for leaving UChicago and going to Midway). Don't expect to leave an interview @ 4:30 and make a 6p flight.

Thank you, that was actually quite helpful. Didn't think about some of the things you mentioned, but now I will keep those in mind.

Most interviews end around 2:30 or 3:00 pm, usually with a tour. If you're interviewing at UAB or VCU, they have 1 and 2 hour bus tours, respectively, at the end of the day. The VCU one was terrible, after the first hour everyone looked sick (it was right after lunch and a meet-and-greet with faculty). So if you have a flight to catch, you might want to find out how long the tour will take and maybe skip it.