hours per week in anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLCoolK

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many hours per week does the average anesthesiologist work? I've looked this up quite extensively. All I could find was an average of 61hrs a week on the AAMC "Careers in Medicine" page. Is this an accurate figure? That would mean anesthesiologists work more than general surgeons (59.4hrs a week based on the AAMC page).

Source: Medical Specialties - Explore Options - Choose Your Specialty - Careers In Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Yep.

Most surgeons don't have in-house call.

Reactions: 1 users
Not to be glib, but anywhere from 40 (ie outpt) to 70 hrs per week. 60 sounds about right, in general. We're at the hospital before the surgeons and leave after they do, so no suprises there.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd love to hear more average hours that people are working. I'm looking at jobs and the average when I ask is anywhere from 50-60.

I'm averaging 41 hrs/week in a relatively busy private practice. Ranged from about 25 to 61 hours/week so far this year.

Not to be glib, but anywhere from 40 (ie outpt) to 70 hrs per week. 60 sounds about right, in general. We're at the hospital before the surgeons and leave after they do, so no suprises there.
Surgeons also have clinic and have to round on their patients. And are constantly dealing with issues on the phone when they're not working. No way does the average anesthesiologist work 60 hrs a week. Even those that take in-house call have the next day off or a very light day to make up for it. Avg is probably around 50.

Reactions: 3 users
45-50 rather predictably for me, but do quite a bit of "off hours" work in my capacity. Maybe 5 hours per week total or so from home. Not bad at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Surgeons also have clinic and have to round on their patients. And are constantly dealing with issues on the phone when they're not working. No way does the average anesthesiologist work 60 hrs a week. Even those that take in-house call have the next day off or a very light day to make up for it. Avg is probably around 50.

Their clinics are usually on non surgical days and also clinics don't start early like OR. Have you seen attendings round? They just round on the few inpatients they are covering. Not a big deal. It's not like surgery resident rounding on every patient from every attending on the team

It depends.

Many AMC jobs are definitely above 50. Busy hospitals may be just 50, but one will be half-dead after that 24 hour-call, especially with a busy OB. The call schedule also makes a big difference. I used to be on call q5 and hated it, despite being under 50 hours. Now I work more during the day, but have a lot less call, which is much better. I would rather have to do clinic than nights, especially after 40-45.

In the more and more popular ACT model, there are much fewer docs, hence the call schedule is much busier than in a solo practice (and that includes staying late more frequently). So I wouldn't count on only 50 hours, if I were starting my residency now.

Let's say it again: this is not a lifestyle specialty, although one could (theoretically) find/negotiate a job that would better fit one's lifestyle.

In the more and more popular ACT model, there are much fewer docs, hence the call schedule is much busier than in a solo practice (and that includes staying late more frequently). So I wouldn't count on only 50 hours, if I were starting my residency now

Disagree with this point. Let's say your contract stipulates that you must cover 3 rooms past 5pm. In an ACT practice that means 1 late doc. In an MD only practice that means 3 late docs every day.

Primary call frequency should be less MD only though.

It depends.

Many AMC jobs are definitely above 50. Busy hospitals may be just 50, but one will be half-dead after that 24 hour-call, especially with a busy OB. The call schedule also makes a big difference. I used to be on call q5 and hated it, despite being under 50 hours. Now I work more during the day, but have a lot less call, which is much better. I would rather have to do clinic than nights, especially after 40-45.

In the more and more popular ACT model, there are much fewer docs, hence the call schedule is much busier than in a solo practice (and that includes staying late more frequently). So I wouldn't count on only 50 hours, if I were starting my residency now.

Let's say it again: this is not a lifestyle specialty, although one could (theoretically) find/negotiate a job that would better fit one's lifestyle.

60 sounds about right over here. The young attendings choose to work lot of hours while older ones don't

Members don't see this ad :)
Judging by previous responses, it depends on how you count work hours. I have some days when I work 2 hrs and others where I work 18. A couple times I've worked 17-18 hrs for 3 consecutive days. But that is exceedingly rare. On average I think I work around 50-55 hrs per week. However, if I counted home call, I can be over 100hrs some weeks. For example, if I take Fri, Sat, Sun heart call, that is 72hrs of call but I may actually be in the hospital only 6-7hrs.

Judging by previous responses, it depends on how you count work hours. I have some days when I work 2 hrs and others where I work 18. A couple times I've worked 17-18 hrs for 3 consecutive days. But that is exceedingly rare. On average I think I work around 50-55 hrs per week. However, if I counted home call, I can be over 100hrs some weeks. For example, if I take Fri, Sat, Sun heart call, that is 72hrs of call but I may actually be in the hospital only 6-7hrs.
Same. And I get every fourth week off. Speaking average

Their clinics are usually on non surgical days and also clinics don't start early like OR. Have you seen attendings round? They just round on the few inpatients they are covering. Not a big deal. It's not like surgery resident rounding on every patient from every attending on the team
I have friends who are surgeons. If they wanna make decent bank, they gotta work hard just like we do. Actually harder. Just like any doc in nearly every other field has to. And they're constantly dealing with issues with patients when they're not operating or in clinic

Reactions: 3 users
60 sounds about right over here. The young attendings choose to work lot of hours while older ones don't
well if young docs are making the choice to work more bc they wanna make more money and the older docs work much less bc they've already made plenty of dough, that's a bit different isn't it. If you're working crap hours for crap pay, maybe you should find a better fukn job. Trust me, they're out there

Reactions: 2 users
well if young docs are making the choice to work more bc they wanna make more money and the older docs work much less bc they've already made plenty of dough, that's a bit different isn't it. If you're working crap hours for crap pay, maybe you should find a better fukn job. Trust me, they're out there
Yeah, I am sure they are. But you gotta have connections. The good jobs never advertise.

I do 45 to 50 now because I am traveling and it's in my contract so I get that OT pay!!! Yeah!!!.
But when I am home is about 30 to 40.

Completely disagree. Much of that statement depends on the circumstances of your employment. Anesthesia can be a lifestyle specialty as there is a tremendous amount of flexibility in the various types of employment available. Just passing along what I have heard from several anesthesiologists during medical school.

Also, isn't this number of hours conversation largely pointless? Work more hours = make more money. I'm certain one could work lots of hours and pick up extra hours and haul in big money and the opposite is true also. Want to work 7-2 in a surgery center with little or no call, I bet there is a job somewhere.

Are you a med student seriously trying to tell attendings with experience about lifestyle and the job market?

Reactions: 5 users

Older attendings been there for decades, they no longer take call. Younger attendings have to take call. And a lot of the younger attendings take middle aged attendings (40+) call to make extra money. No one wants to have 300k student debt just sitting there going up at 6% a year... The sooner you get over it the sooner you can start saving and work on other stuff. And not many people can just go pack their bags and get a better job in the middle of no where, plus it's not as easy as you make it sound for new/newish grads. Anes job market is still pretty bad compared to other medical fields.

Emphasis on "out". ;)

How easy is it to pick up extra call and is there usually monetary incentive for it?

I'm willing to work until you have to pry that laryngoscope out of my dead, cold hands.

How easy is it to pick up extra call and is there usually monetary incentive for it?

I'm willing to work until you have to pry that laryngoscope out of my dead, cold hands.
Depends on the group you join, how call is incentivized, and if people are willing to give it up.

Completely disagree. Much of that statement depends on the circumstances of your employment. Anesthesia can be a lifestyle specialty as there is a tremendous amount of flexibility in the various types of employment available. Just passing along what I have heard from several anesthesiologists during medical school.

Guys let's hear this guy out, he seems like someone worth listening to

like you meet people at meetings and such?

Well you can, but it's not really necessary. I assume you are not the first resident to ever graduate from your program. I also assume that your attendings have friends in other departments and in PP. Ask around - your staff, your co-residents, your alumni. People like to hire people that trained where they trained - there's a familiarity there that takes some of the gamble out of a new hire.

When I was looking asa CA-3, I asked the attendings if anyone had ever gone to work in location a/b/c. If we had someone where I was interested, I scrounged up their contact info and made some calls.

Are you a med student seriously trying to tell attendings with experience about lifestyle and the job market?

OK jack wagon, I was repeating what I have been told by many different attendings. Whatevs you need to stroke your little ego I guess.

OK jack wagon, I was repeating what I have been told by many different attendings. Whatevs you need to stroke your little ego I guess.

If they come here and say it then we will care. It doesn't matter what you think other people said when you have zero experience.

If they come here and say it then we will care. It doesn't matter what you think other people said when you have zero experience.

It does matter what other people have said who do have experience.

Hours per week doesn’t really matter anyway. That’s only 1/3 the story.
Do you work 60 hours a week, but take 12 week’s off? Are you doing your own cases? covering 4:1 100% of the time?
Those are the details that matter.
And then there’s the compensation, that’s all over the place as well. One person can be making 300k+ in an ASC working 4 Days a week, another gets that working their ass off with crappy benefits at an AMC, and another gets that in academia working 50% non clinical time, and another calls that a bad year for profit sharing.
The work:income ratio is hard to determine, but important to understand when comparing jobs. Particularly different types of jobs.

--
Il Destriero

Saving Private Ryan was the Cliff Notes, you have to watch the whole Band Of Brothers sequel to really understand WWII.

I did watch it. The part where they're at Bastogne was ridiculous, just trying to imagine surviving those conditions is impossible. And I still don't go around telling vets I understand ww2.

Right that's why I go to the VA and tell the patients about world war 2 because I saw saving private ryan

The sky is blue and grass is green.

Apples and oranges.

Not at all. You are like a little kid who's been told war stories, correcting veterans who actually have lived them.

Wrong.

Nothing I wrote above is inaccurate. If so, please inform me. I'm not correcting anyone, it is possible there is more than one correct perspective, that is if your ego allows that to occur in your distorted universe. I have spent several months doing anesthesiology rotations in addition to knowing a couple anesthesiologists personally and have talked extensively with them about this. Again, you are wrong.

Wrong.

Nothing I wrote above is inaccurate. If so, please inform me. I'm not correcting anyone, it is possible there is more than one correct perspective, that is if your ego allows that to occur in your distorted universe. I have spent several months doing anesthesiology rotations in addition to knowing a couple anesthesiologists personally and have talked extensively with them about this. Again, you are wrong.

You’ll go far.

You’ll go far.

Ouch, please excuse me while I go cry in the bathroom. Again, please point out something I said that is factually inaccurate. Or are you more interested in resorting to childish behavior?

Wrong.

Goddamn you're annoying

Goddamn you're annoying

Still waiting for someone to point out where I'm wrong.

Thanks for pointing out your immaturity. That is the type of language and tone I would expect from a teenager.

Still waiting for someone to point out where I'm wrong.

Thanks for pointing out your immaturity. That is the type of language and tone I would expect from a teenager.

Didn't read entire thread. Took a look at your posts. Basically it is possible to have a job with good hours in anesthesiology, but it is not a lifestyle specialty. There are jobs with good hours for every specialty but those few jobs don't define the specialty.
Not sure about many types of jobs available as I think there are fewer types for anesthesiology than for other specialties. Basically you will work for someone as an employee, the hours and cases may differ from job to job. But you aren't going to have as much flexibility as people who are able to open clinics or bring in patients (meaning pretty much every field except Rads, path, and EM. But EM has so many days off it doesn't even matter).

Also if you look at AAMC.org it lists anesthesiology as 61 hours per week which is one of the highest. Off top of my head, only CT and Vascular surgery has more hours.

Didn't read entire thread. Took a look at your posts. Basically it is possible to have a job with good hours in anesthesiology, but it is not a lifestyle specialty. There are jobs with good hours for every specialty but those few jobs don't define the specialty.
Not sure about many types of jobs available as I think there are fewer types for anesthesiology than for other specialties. Basically you will work for someone as an employee, the hours and cases may differ from job to job. But you aren't going to have as much flexibility as people who are able to open clinics or bring in patients (meaning pretty much every field except Rads, path, and EM. But EM has so many days off it doesn't even matter).

Also if you look at AAMC.org it lists anesthesiology as 61 hours per week which is one of the highest. Off top of my head, only CT and Vascular surgery has more hours.

A post with some substance. Thank you. By stating anesthesia can be a lifestyle specialty I was meaning that there are jobs that can accommodate those who want a good lifestyle, although income or location may suffer (basically what you wrote). I understand all anesthesia jobs aren't going to offer the most desirable lifestyle, but they can be found depending on flexibility.

A post with some substance. Thank you. By stating anesthesia can be a lifestyle specialty I was meaning that there are jobs that can accommodate those who want a good lifestyle, although income or location may suffer (basically what you wrote). I understand all anesthesia jobs aren't going to offer the most desirable lifestyle, but they can be found depending on flexibility.

Majority of graduates are doing fellowships just to not fall behind in the landing a job game. 10 years ago, those who were interested in fellowships did the fellowships. Today majority are doing fellowships. The current CA3 class here had 80%+ applying to fellowships. I think it's pretty difficult to find a job with good hours in a decent location. Jobs w good hours are there for sure, but you'd have to really expand your search to probably middle of no where to try to get one.

Hours per week is a poor metric of anything. And it varies so much on person to person and place to place.

Plus 1 hour of preop clinic feels like a month to me, but give me a few nice sick laparotomies and those hours just fly by...

When you're a boss you can basically take half call or double call or no call in a lot of places so really you can make the job what you want. Not every where but you will find a place to do that somewhere close to you...

Also cheeseburger kid I hope for your sake your attitude is only as bad online... Good luck mate

Hours per week is a poor metric of anything. And it varies so much on person to person and place to place.

Plus 1 hour of preop clinic feels like a month to me, but give me a few nice sick laparotomies and those hours just fly by...

When you're a boss you can basically take half call or double call or no call in a lot of places so really you can make the job what you want. Not every where but you will find a place to do that somewhere close to you...

Also cheeseburger kid I hope for your sake your attitude is only as bad online... Good luck mate

Wow preop clinic is great to me.. time flies there.