housing at lecom??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smastinrhm

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my first acceptance letter from LECOM this week and i'm very excited. I'm not from the area and i was wondering if anyone can tell me what is the cheapest place available around the erie vicinity....it is my understanding from reading through these posts that Granada is the most affordable housing and in a nice part of town??? Money is really tight and i do not want to pay more than 350/month for housing. When i went on the tour at LECOM, i was very disappointed at what they called a fitness center - so i was wondering if there were any gyms or fitness centers around erie and what membership rates are (i've just begun getting in shape again). Can someone also possibly explain the layout of the town as far as the roads and streets - or refer me to a website that can - i just got my driver's license and it's gonna be the first time i will be driving really and I'm not very good with directions :confused: any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, congratulations!! We'll be classmates! Secondly, LECOM will send you a packet of housing information. I just got mine.
As far as Granada, I have heard mixed things. Some say that they are terrible, but I talked to a Pharmacy student who lives there, and she said that some are nicer than others. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.
Ther are someLECOM students on here that have been REALLY helpful and receptive to my questions. And there are also some past posts on this subject, so check them out too. Good luck!!

Congrats!!! I'll see you in August also. Like KristenE said, LECOM will send you a packed to housing material which includes a rental guide (like you received during the interview), as well as a lot of fliers from the various apartment rentals. You also get a list of everyone who has shown interest in having a roomate. From what I've seen there are a number of places that rent one bedroom apartments for about $340-$360 per month. If you get a roomate and split a two bedroom you can probably manage $300 a month, maybe a little less depending.

As far as workout facilities go some of the apartment complex's have their own as well. Also I've seen that you can join the YMCA for about $22/month for a single membership, and you don't pay an initiation fee as a LECOM student. As small as LECOM's facility is, I think I'll just make due with what little time I'll have anyway. Otherwise I'll try to get outdoors and run/ride when it's nice.

See you soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I recently got into LECOM as well. What day did you interview? I was there 2/10.

I think another good idea is to check the newspaper (you can do this online at goerie.com or something like that. maybe try a google search) and look at the apt. listings there. They have some wayyyy cheap housing out in Erie, so I imagine finding a cheap 1 bed won't be too difficult.

I agree that the gym was a bit tragic. I'm sure there are good facilities somewhere in Erie that are also reasonably priced.

Tiffany

The YMCA is decent, and close to school. They do wave the joiner fee and it costs $24/mo for one person, but if you're a big spender you can add your spouse, then its like $26/month.
I know lots of my classmates also belong to Nautilus, which is a little more expensive ($40/month) but also very nice, from what I've heard. You know what, I've been at LECOM now for 7 months, and I've never even seen the gym. Hmmm. I should check it out, although it seems to me that most people use the local facilities more often than the school's.

I would not recommend Granada Apts. I am not a tenant but from what I heard from my classmates it's not very well managed and a very disruptive environment for studying.

Erie Heights is around $350 a month for a two bedroom townhouse. It's low income housing that is very close to the school. I know a few people who live there and are happy living there. They accept pets too.

A lot of students live in Lakeview which is close to school. It's a 2 bedroon townhouse with a one car garage. $670-ish a month.

There are a lot of rental properties around the Millcreek/LECOM area.

I study a lot at home because of the weather. I recommend finding a good study environment. Also, the plows take a while to clear the roads so you may want to be close to school, especially if you won't have four wheel drive.

www.goerie.com This is the Erie Times newspaper website.

I've posted on other threads about this, but be very cautious about Granada. If you can put up with a lot of BS and not that great of living conditions, for the price it's not bad. HOWEVER, when you're a med student, who is at school most of the day, you don't have time to be hassling with the lack of maintenance and management in this complex. Just recently I had yet another problem I had to deal with, and they lived up to their reputation of poking around and not responding. If you have no other options, it's a convenient location and the apartments are spacious.

Next year I'm moving to Lakeview with another classmate. If you're coming in and can find someone you think you'll be compatible with, then go for a 2 bedroom townhouse.

njdo