Housing in NY (MPH student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaiser_1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted to the MPH program at Icahn and was wondering if there was anyone else seeking a roommate in the city. My budget is 400 ( which I'm aware is low) and have been desperately looking for rental apartments in NY...and that's impossible.

If anyone is familiar with any resources that could aid with this predicament, then that would be great. OR if you know any places that are around my budget, please let me know. :)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello @Kaiser_1 ,

First of all, congrats on the acceptance to Icahn!

I'm currently go to school in NYC and I'm not gonna lie to you - I don't think you're gonna find any place at that budget. Even if you commute from NJ or Long Island, you would not be able to find a place for that price. You're best bet would be to split a studio with a roommate in Far Rockaway, Astoria or Hoboken. However, that would probably be around $600 a month. I guess my main questions would be:

1. How strict is your budget?
2. How long of a commute are you willing to have?
3. Do you need privacy or would you be willing to share a room with up to 3 people?

Hello @Kaiser_1 ,

First of all, congrats on the acceptance to Icahn!

I'm currently go to school in NYC and I'm not gonna lie to you - I don't think you're gonna find any place at that budget. Even if you commute from NJ or Long Island, you would not be able to find a place for that price. You're best bet would be to split a studio with a roommate in Far Rockaway, Astoria or Hoboken. However, that would probably be around $600 a month. I guess my main questions would be:

1. How strict is your budget?
2. How long of a commute are you willing to have?
3. Do you need privacy or would you be willing to share a room with up to 3 people?

Thank you!
If I may ask which program are you enrolled at Icahn? Assuming that you are!

My budget is a little strict only because I don't want to agree to a certain amount and when the time comes, I won't be able to pay it. I have been searching for a roommate since May and haven't had much luck.

I currently live in NJ and the school is two hours away from where I live and would rather commute at least 45mins-1hr.
Ideally, 30-45 mins but that itself seems impossible.

For the room share, I wouldn't mind but are utilities included within the budget? And what genders are the roommates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!
If I may ask which program are you enrolled at Icahn? Assuming that you are!

My budget is a little strict only because I don't want to agree to a certain amount and when the time comes, I won't be able to pay it. I have been searching for a roommate since May and haven't had much luck.

I currently live in NJ and the school is two hours away from where I live and would rather commute at least 45mins-1hr.
Ideally, 30-45 mins but that itself seems impossible.

For the room share, I wouldn't mind but are utilities included within the budget? And what genders are the roommates?

Oh sorry for the confusion - I don't go to Icahn but I am a research assistant at one of the Mount Sinai laboratories (I'm still in undergrad) LOL

The main issue with Manhattan is that a commute from the North Bronx or deep in Queens can be up to two hours depending on how many transfers you have to make, dependability of the trains and etc. The cheapest studios usually cost around $1100 - $1500 a month and will be around 400 to 700 square feet (depending on the neighborhood). I would suggest posting in Gypsy Housing or some other group asking to find roommates.

The only issue is that there aren't many people in NYC looking to split a studio 3 ways due to lack of privacy. I know a few students who were able to sublet a futon in a living room for about $300 - $350 a month, but they usually had a prior relationship with the main leaser.

Basically, any place I could even suggest would probably be around the same length of a commute. How difficult is the commute currently (2 hours seems pretty brutal)?

That's awesome! Do you know it there's any RA positions for grad students?

I have tried finding sublets and my search hasn't been successful.

Also, I haven't started commuting yet because school hasn't started. I have browsed through google maps just to see what train or buses I'd have to take. With both transportation, they roughly take more than hour. I did find a place in NJ prior to being rented and was 10 mins away from the train station.