Houston Get-Together

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HollyJ

Realtors are evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Houston SDNers,
How about having a get-together in the next couple of weeks? I'll bring the brownies. . .

Of course, anyone else who will be in the Houston area is welcome, too.

Members don't see this ad.

Word, HJ.

Houston Peeps represent!!
eek7.gif

Originally posted by HollyJ
Hey Houston SDNers,
How about having a get-together in the next couple of weeks? I'll bring the brownies. . .

Of course, anyone else who will be in the Houston area is welcome, too.

I wont be back for any considerable time until mid-December, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
*doesn't live in houston* :( :(

Ha! Your excuse lacks originality and demonstrates that you have no desire to "go the extra mile." Guess all that talk about teamwork was just that: talk.

:p

Of course I'm completely joking! But it'd be nice to see ya.

I'll be in town for the 4th and 5th of Dec. for my interview. I'm already looking forward to meeting EvoDevo there! That Friday night would prolly be okay if I'm not too tired.

After that I'm only in town when the parents will pay for me to visit. :) I might be back in around the holidays.

And what's Two Rows? Is that a bar I'm not familiar with? Wait, is that the one on Rice campus that charges you like $.50 for a beer?

-J

Originally posted by EvoDevo
Ha! Your excuse lacks originality and demonstrates that you have no desire to "go the extra mile." Guess all that talk about teamwork was just that: talk.

Of course I'm completely joking! But it'd be nice to see ya.

Actually, I have no desire to go the extra 1215.70 miles to be precise.

Originally posted by jberg4
I'll be in town for the 4th and 5th of Dec. for my interview. I'm already looking forward to meeting EvoDevo there! That Friday night would prolly be okay if I'm not too tired.

After that I'm only in town when the parents will pay for me to visit. :) I might be back in around the holidays.

And what's Two Rows? Is that a bar I'm not familiar with? Wait, is that the one on Rice campus that charges you like $.50 for a beer?

-J

Yeah,
To be honest, Two Rows is a mediocre bar at best in terms of the Houston bar scene, its only good for watching sporting events, and even then there are some better places along Westheimer. And BW3's (they changed the name, but I still call it BW3s, just like I keep calling the Compaq Center the Summit, on principle) is a much better sports bar, as is Chammps and Bubbas.

But Two Rows is pretty conveniently located though, but I prefer Valhalla or Tavern on Gray, or even a Hurricane Hut.

I can't make Dec 5th, but I'd really like to meet you guys. What if we do it over Christmas break? Like the Friday before Christmas? What works for you guys going to school?

Holly, if you just want to meet for lunch sometime, I'm available most days 'cept Wednesdays.

Theresa

Friday before Christmas is fine. What would ya'll think about Star Pizza? Right around Rice Village.

I'll be in town Dec. 4th & 5th also, for a Baylor interview

Originally posted by Gleevec
Friday before Christmas is fine. What would ya'll think about Star Pizza? Right around Rice Village.

:clap: Best pizza in town. I'm also with Gleevec regarding Two Rows. I'd say an even better place is the GingerMan. THey've got something like ~150 beers on tap, good atmosphere, and they're set up for chit-chat.

Jberg and anyone else: If ya'll wanna set something up for Friday the 5th, I'd be down for that, too. It's the holidays and you cannot have too many get-togethers.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
:clap: Best pizza in town. I'm also with Gleevec regarding Two Rows. I'd say an even better place is the GingerMan. THey've got something like ~150 beers on tap, good atmosphere, and they're set up for chit-chat.

Jberg and anyone else: If ya'll wanna set something up for Friday the 5th, I'd be down for that, too. It's the holidays and you cannot have too many get-togethers.

thoughts?

I actually havent been to Gingerman but Ive heard a TON of good things about it. That sounds like a great place to chill.

Originally posted by Gleevec
I actually havent been to Gingerman but Ive heard a TON of good things about it. That sounds like a great place to chill.

Yup. I've had so many great times there that I've lost count. Visiting scientists love to end their trips there, and it's amazing the types of conversations that I've had with folks there.

Plus it's a prime spot to check out hotties (XX and XY).

Yeah, the Gingerman in Houston was pretty cool, but very crowded. Two Rows was pretty much a resident hangout. Never went to BW3, though I heard good things about it.

I was at ginger man last night and had a blast! I love the Village.

I'd up for meeting my fellow Houston SDN peeps. Just let us know the date and I'm up for it!

Tiffany

Really? That is so weird. It was my sister's birthday last night. She got a little too festive and had to literally be carried out of the bar.

I hope you weren't that guy I was talking to last night...

But I'm sure you're not. You seem cooler than that!

;)

No, I was the cute guy hanging out by the front with my friend. ;)

Actually, we didn't stay that long...I was feeling the effects of too many Crown and Cokes from a previous place. I'm glad your sister had such a good time! How funny....anyway, thanks for the compliment. :D I'm sure if I had seen you then I would have passed out from my heart stopping cold.

drool.gif

Hey, the Gingerman is cool. Last summer we had a party with the Baylor research summer program and I got everyone drunk on WooWoo shots at the dorms, and those of age finished off the night at the Gingerman. This one girl was so loaded she dropped this drink this guy had JUST bought her on the floor. But it was cool, the guy just bought her another one (hmm, what was he thinking :D ). It was awesome to see this group of incredibly intellegent people get trashed. Good Times!

Anyway, have any of ya'll been to LZ's. That's where I always go when I'm in town because my brother's best friend works there. Its like our Cheers, where everyone knows your name (well I'm actually referred to as my brother's little sis).

I'm still negotiating holiday travel. I JUST got this awesome tutor job (like an hour ago :)) so I think my work schedule is flexible enough to let me come home for the holidays. My best friend is coming back too and she hates to bear Sugar Land without me. It would be cool if we could organize something!

man, you guys are making me jealous. wish i could swing some time to come down to houston but doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime this winter...:( :( :(

awww, sorry Spumoni. :( Maybe we could take pictures and email them to you....Oh! I have an idea: we'll take pics and hold up a sign with a smiley face on it, with "Spumoni" written underneath...

Like this: Evo JBerg, BUMedic {Spumoni
wavey.gif
} HollyJ, Etc

What do you think?

Hey, the Gingerman is cool. Last summer we had a party with the Baylor research summer program and I got everyone drunk on WooWoo shots at the dorms, and those of age finished off the night at the Gingerman. This one girl was so loaded she dropped this drink this guy had JUST bought her on the floor. But it was cool, the guy just bought her another one (hmm, what was he thinking :D ). It was awesome to see this group of incredibly intellegent people get trashed. Good Times!

Anyway, have any of ya'll been to LZ's. That's where I always go when I'm in town because my brother's best friend works there. Its like our Cheers, where everyone knows your name (well I'm actually referred to as my brother's little sis).

I'm still negotiating holiday travel. I JUST got this awesome tutor job (like an hour ago :)) so I think my work schedule is flexible enough to let me come home for the holidays. My best friend is coming back too and she hates to bear Sugar Land without me. It would be cool if we could organize something!

Sugar Land aint THAT bad. Did your friend goto Clements?

We both went to Kempner if that means anything to ya. And we both went to out-of-state colleges to avoid "high school all over again" at UT. Looking back its not as bad as we make it out to be sometimes, but I think neither of us regrets leaving.

We went to Sam's Boat last time we were in town, which is like Kempner Alum stomping ground (probably for Clements too since its the only damn bar we have in Sugar Land), and it was funny to see how everyone had changed and how old rivalries and social clicks seem so trivial now. Well I guess its time to come back now!:D

Anyone for the Ginger Man in Rice Village. I love that bar!

We both went to Kempner if that means anything to ya. And we both went to out-of-state colleges to avoid "high school all over again" at UT. Looking back its not as bad as we make it out to be sometimes, but I think neither of us regrets leaving.

We went to Sam's Boat last time we were in town, which is like Kempner Alum stomping ground (probably for Clements too since its the only damn bar we have in Sugar Land), and it was funny to see how everyone had changed and how old rivalries and social clicks seem so trivial now. Well I guess its time to come back now!:D

Yeah I know Kempner. SL sucks for nightlife, gotta goto Westheimer or Rice Village area or downtown for anything good.

awww, sorry Spumoni. :( Maybe we could take pictures and email them to you....Oh! I have an idea: we'll take pics and hold up a sign with a smiley face on it, with "Spumoni" written underneath...

wavey.gif
} HollyJ, Etc

What do you think?

Evo, I love this smiley!

Anyway, I totally second the GingerMan theme. When should we all meet up? Huh? When? Huh!

:)

And as far as crap nightlife is concerned, come on down to Clear Lake! Home of Andrea Yates and Clara Harris! We have some great bars out here (insert sarcasm).

:rolleyes:

So going out in the Rice Village sounds great to me!

Sam's Boat, Hurricane Hut, and Red Door are all off tha hizzle fo shizzle my Htown nizzles!

Well, I'm pretty much available every weekend from now through Christmas. So let me know. I know that we've got people coming into town the weekend of 5 December...

Anyhoo, I'm off to the Front Porch Pub...ya'll have a good evening! :D

wavey.gif
} HollyJ, Etc

What do you think?

*blush* :laugh: that's so nice of ya. great smiley. well, i'll try to make it, but it depends on my travel/work/the fam. as i've never been out and about in houston, i'm really intrigued by all these posts. can't wait to see it myself! :D

Originally posted by Elysium
Evo, I love this smiley!

Anyway, I totally second the GingerMan theme. When should we all meet up? Huh? When? Huh!

:)

And as far as crap nightlife is concerned, come on down to Clear Lake! Home of Andrea Yates and Clara Harris! We have some great bars out here (insert sarcasm).

:rolleyes:

So going out in the Rice Village sounds great to me!

You're from Clear Lake?! Me too! Yeah, not too much of a night life, but with a 1 year old to take care of, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if there were things to do here.

I probably won't be able to make it to the get-together, either - going back to my parent's place in CA for a long Christmas vacation. But I wish I could meet all you guys!

ok so what's goin' on on the 5th?

How about we meet at the GingerMan at 9:00pm on the 5th. When you get there hang out towards the bar till we figure out who eachother is. Sound good?

(By the way BUmeidic, I'm interviewing at UT Houston. I tried to answer your PM but your box was full)

Sounds good to me. She would all wear a red bandana so that we can identify each other?

:D

Please. I don't want to get capped by a hood rat! ;) :D

How's about I make a small sign that says "EvoDevo"?

If you know what that means, then you're obviously of the cool crowd. :D

So it's the Gingerman at 9:00 on 12/5? Awesome.

If anyone needs directions/help with travel arrangements/etc., let me know!

Spumoni, you really need to come. But if you can't, we'll do it again when you can make the trip.

Please. I don't want to get capped by a hood rat! ;) :D

How's about I make a small sign that says "EvoDevo"?

If you know what that means, then you're obviously of the cool crowd. :D

Haha. I wont be back in h-town until mid-Dec, so I wont be going to this one. Have fun though :D

like HollyJ said, there's no reason we can't do it again later in the month....:D

I'm hoping for another one later in the month, too. My son is singing in his Christmas choir concert on the 5th.:D Don't want to miss that.

I'm still thinking the 19th. Anyone one else for that day as well?

T

Sounds excellent. And the next day I'm having a Christmas party at my place...so it should be a fun weekend.

I'll come to both! Or all three! Or four!

Originally posted by TheresaW
I'm hoping for another one later in the month, too. My son is singing in his Christmas choir concert on the 5th.:D Don't want to miss that.

T

I won't be able to make it on the 19th...I'll be graduating :D

I graduate the 20th!

Congratulations guys!! :clap: :clap:

Now, if I can only avoid SDN and finish my thesis.....:horns:

congrats to all those who are graduating!! hope the day goes well...ah, my eyes are getting all misty remembering my own day. :D

anyway, you guys have fun on your first "get-together" (evo, i want those emailed pictures! especially my smiley ;) ) . the 5th is for sure out for me (exams :( ) as is the 19th (work committment :( :( ) but the week of and after xmas is open...i'm actually trying to come down to houston for a weekend or at least a day to see the apartments. i'll let you guys know the dates if i can make it...i totally want to meet all you cool houston peeps! :D

Good to see H-Town getting all this "love". Great city, hope you guys enjoy it.

Originally posted by TheresaW

T

The 19th is perfect.

Actually, the 19th is even better for me. But I'm totally flexible. We could do it (ooh!) the week after X-mas as well. Kind of a dead time and it'll be something to look forward to. What do you guys think?

Tiff

Soo, it looks like we have two dates: the 5th and the 19th. I propose that we have a get-together on each date, and you make the one that's possible for you.....

comments?