Houston job market??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravenclaw90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does knows what the Houston market is like, if there is anything besides USAP or AMCs? Are certain USAP divisions more attractive than others?

How does working at UT Houston, BCM compare? Also curious about University of Houston and Texas A&M.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, there are some differences between divisions within USAP. However, there is a movement within the organization to be grouped geographically rather than strictly by hospital system. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have on here or via PM.

Best of luck with your search - Houston is a great town to practice

Yes there is. There is another large physician owned private group in Houston. PM me for details

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How much are people making in Houston?
I see and have been offered low ball offers since, you know, it’s “market rate.”
I say keep your market rate. Even in places like Woodlands where people have money and insurance.

How much are people making in Houston?
I see and have been offered low ball offers since, you know, it’s “market rate.”
I say keep your market rate. Even in places like Woodlands where people have money and insurance.

Very hush hush what partners are making. I'm pretty sure they would never "open the books" to anyone that isn't a partner. Not sure how common that is, but my first gig showed me the payroll for the partners during my interview. I thought that was amazing

The tracks (partner or non partner) are pretty much laid out with very little wiggle room.....until competition changes, then that unfortunately "market rate"

Reactions: 1 user
Very hush hush what partners are making. I'm pretty sure they would never "open the books" to anyone that isn't a partner. Not sure how common that is, but my first gig showed me the payroll for the partners during my interview. I thought that was amazing

The tracks (partner or non partner) are pretty much laid out with very little wiggle room.....until competition changes, then that unfortunately "market rate"
Because they tend to offer about 280-350 in town to start. Ain’t exactly amazing. But maybe the partners are killing it.

Because they tend to offer about 280-350 in town to start. Ain’t exactly amazing. But maybe the partners are killing it.

If the partners need to steal from their young in order to “kill it”, that is not a good practice in my book.

Reactions: 1 users
Would be nice to know what the gain is if they would only open up their books.

I agree but the it is fraught with risk for the group. I would only do it if I were certain a prospective hire was going to join the group.

I agree but the it is fraught with risk for the group. I would only do it if I were certain a prospective hire was going to join the group.
What's the risk from external? Doesn't change their reimbursement or group revenue

Would be nice to know what the gain is if they would only open up their books.
$750K-$900K is the likely partnership number. They don't want that figure to get out to the hospital or C-Suite in case they need to negotiate a subsidy or re-negotiate a subsidy. Once the executives find out the partners are earning $900k do you think they will be getting a subsidy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any info on UTH?
Memorial Hermann is usually hiring I believe. Tough place to work 90+ ORs difficult cases staffing on low end. Probably good experience for fresh grads. All residents and AAs no CRNAS in main hospital only surg center. Pay is good for academics I think starts at 320-350 with some peeps making over 700 when working like dogs.

Memorial Hermann is usually hiring I believe. Tough place to work 90+ ORs difficult cases staffing on low end. Probably good experience for fresh grads. All residents and AAs no CRNAS in main hospital only surg center. Pay is good for academics I think starts at 320-350 with some peeps making over 700 when working like dogs.

What kind of schedule does one have to do to make 700k in academics (without being a department chair or having a crap ton of tenure)?

I was told With regular call the package is like 395k. Plus state benefits . Vacation is not much to start but can build up over time. No getting around the difficult cases.

yea I dont work there so Im not sure. I wouldnt be surprised. I talked to them before completing oral boards so lower number. Probably higher with fellowship since academics but I dont know for sure. The money and location and if you dont want to work with crnas are the pros. The workload is the con.

yea I dont work there so Im not sure. I wouldnt be surprised. I talked to them before completing oral boards so lower number. Probably higher with fellowship since academics but I dont know for sure. The money and location and if you dont want to work with crnas are the pros. The workload is the con.

seems like if you want to be in Houston, you gotta work with USAP, Texans, Academics and some smaller groups. Gotta pick out what works for you.

What kind of schedule does one have to do to make 700k in academics (without being a department chair or having a crap ton of tenure)?

I know a guy who worked like a demon, took a ton of call and made bout 500

$750K-$900K is the likely partnership number. They don't want that figure to get out to the hospital or C-Suite in case they need to negotiate a subsidy or re-negotiate a subsidy. Once the executives find out the partners are earning $900k do you think they will be getting a subsidy?
Is this working for an AMC as a partner?

Is 320-350k good for academics ?

Unless there were some very unusual aspects of the job if someone was making 900k and trying to negotiate an additional subsidy I would wonder what on earth was wrong with them.

Unless there were some very unusual aspects of the job if someone was making 900k and trying to negotiate an additional subsidy I would wonder what on earth was wrong with them.
If the hospital demands staffing for a money losing service the partners have every right to negotiate a subsidy. Many profitable groups in the 90th percentile still get some subsidies for trauma, ob, etc from the hospital. Do you think the hospital executives don't try to get bonuses on top of their $900K salaries? Or, the CEO of insurance companies? This is just business and one thing (your revenue/profits) has nothing to do with the other (losing money staffing a service). Of course, one wants to be fair and reasonable when dealing with the C-suite but if you demand nothing for a money losing service that slippery slope could end up destroying the group.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a guy who worked like a demon, took a ton of call and made bout 500

This seems more in line with reality

320-350 seems pretty crappy unless it's like 12 weeks vacation and robust benefits package.

Meanwhile, this is not in line with reality. At least, not initially until several years of working there. Do you know any Academic jobs that make this salary with that much vacation for an early career Anesthesiologist? Please be specific if so

This seems more in line with reality

Meanwhile, this is not in line with reality. At least, not initially until several years of working there. Do you know any Academic jobs that make this salary with that much vacation for an early career Anesthesiologist? Please be specific if so

it’s hard to even find a PP gig in a desirable area to find something like this. More likely to be 350 with 4-6 weeks depending .

Reactions: 1 users
AMC partnership in many USAP subgroups is worth around $650K. The $900K number is for a non AMC partnership position in a highly profitable group like the one in Houston (non AMC).
650 is high. Maybe the top 10% of workers who work the most at maybe 25% of usap groups.

but plenty making 500k after partnership. Although they give up 7 figures to get that “partnership”

if United wins Vs USAP and sets a precedent expect those numbers to drop 20-30%

650 is high. Maybe the top 10% of workers who work the most at maybe 25% of usap groups.

but plenty making 500k after partnership. Although they give up 7 figures to get that “partnership”

if United wins Vs USAP and sets a precedent expect those numbers to drop 20-30%
What “seven figures” are they giving up? The buy in? It’s not that high.