How accurate is FREIDA for EM stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traumabey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,
One of my friends is an intern at UPMC, and told me his incoming class (2017) Step 1 avg was 257. UPMC's program (like many others) is listed on FREIDA as having an avg of 221-240. How accurate is FREIDA for these numbers? It's particularly important for me, because I'm applying for EM and got a 228.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks,
One of my friends is an intern at UPMC, and told me his incoming class (2017) Step 1 avg was 257. UPMC's program (like many others) is listed on FREIDA as having an avg of 221-240. How accurate is FREIDA for these numbers? It's particularly important for me, because I'm applying for EM and got a 228.
Intern sounds like a liar. But who knows.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi folks,

And I'm a red-nosed reindeer who can fly. Sounds like a pile of horse radish. FREIDA's numbers sound more believable.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I'm a red-nosed reindeer who can fly. Sounds like a pile of horse radish. FREIDA's numbers sound more believable.

LOL ok I agree. But he also told me he got a 238, so I don't think he was saying it to brag? idk

I wouldn't trust what anyone else says, but I have been known to be a cynical skeptic :)
from my experience, FRIEDA had accurate information when it was up to date. Pay attention to the last time the PD supplied info to the database. Some residency websites also list average scores/cutoff scores on their website. I have an article on using Frieda on my website, check it out if you are interested. Its geared towards IMGs, but anyone can use it: Using FRIEDA to find IMG friendly residency programs-theroad2residency

Last edited:
Program dependent based on who fills out the data.