How adcomms in East Coast select MD-PhD students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaverfordSquirrel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in applying for MD-PhD programs in the East Coast.

I heard that depending on the school, an app would first go to the PhD dept for approval and then the MD dept...or vice versa.
Do you know the adcomms procedure of certain middle/upper tier schools in the East Coast for MD-PhD programs? I'm really curious about this.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you have specific programs in mind, you might want to list them... but I wouldn't expect too many people to have this information.

Why the hell would it matter the way they file the paperwork?

Also the people I've talked to have said it goes to an adcom that is specific to the MD/PhD program (thats only at the school I work at).

Members don't see this ad :)
The procedure will vary by school.

At least at my school, if MD/PhD rejects you, you'll still be considered in the MD-only applicant pool and can be accepted that way (and if you're still wanting MD/PhD, you can apply internally after MS2, you'll just lose out on the whole free tuition thing for the first 2 years)

As others have said, this is variable.

At some schools, the MD/PhD committee makes the decision alone. At other programs, the MD/PhD committee screens everyone, but applicants also need to be approved by the MD committee before they can be accepted. After decisions have been made, some programs will send the applications of all rejected MD/PhD applicants to the medical school for MD-only consideration, but this doesn't happen everywhere.

Agree with the above: every school is different, some schools will have a separate MD/PhD committee, some will send applications discarded by the MD/PhD to the MD only committee. With regard to that last point, it is cold comfort because: 1) the "sending" usually happens very late in the MD cycle (late Jan-early Feb) when garnering an interview invite is difficult and 2) the MD-only adcom figures you'll turn down an MD-only offer if you get a MD/PhD offer and what's the point of being the applicant's "safety"?

Most schools are going to consider 1) are you a good candidate for the PhD with a high likelihood of success in your academic and research endeavors in grad school and career aspirations that will make the most of the PhD, 2) are your research interests and current skills a good fit with one or more investigators/labs at this institution and 3) do you have adequate exposure/experience in clinical settings and can you clearly describe your motivation for a clinical career as well as a research career? If you don't pass through questions 1 and 2 there isn't much point to question 3. The PhD folks are the best judges of 1 and 2 so if I were Queen, I'd have the first pass made by the PhD folks for the sake of efficiency.

Curiously, there are applicants who have little or no clinical experience coming into a MD/PhD program. They are all about the lab and the PhD folks think that they are great. To their dismay and surprise, when some of these students get to the clinical educational activities they discover they LOVE clinic and don't ever want to go back to the lab. So, a continued desire for a lab career after having been exposed to clinical settings is pretty important in choosing candidates who won't jump ship when they discover how much they love what they'd never been exposed to earlier.

Reactions: 1 users