How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicholasleonard12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!! So I just wanted to see what you thought about my first year.

So I just completed my first year at Letourneau University. I think that I have been pretty productive. First of all, I started college at 16 (I am now 17). This year I have done a lot of research on mycobacteriophages under my biology professor. I even have my name on two publications. I won 2nd place at the American Society for Microbiology for my research. I made a 3.73 GPA both semesters which took quite a bit of time to get over (these semesters have been a really good learning experience on the most effective study techniques that I should use). I will be the Biology I lab assistant next semester via the recommendation of my professor. I will also be the head Chemistry SI/tutor for my university via the recommendation of my chemistry professor. This summer I will be shadowing and doing research under a microneurosurgeon(M.D, Ph.D). We will be doing research on spinal cord tumors! This summer I will be applying to JAMP, which is a program that guarantees a position into any Texas medical school. Next semester I will be trying to implement a program that allows students with disabilities to have the opportunity to do sports through the help of volunteers. I think that I am headed in a good direction but I may just be full of it. Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!! So I just wanted to see what you thought about my first year.

So I just completed my first year at Letourneau University. I think that I have been pretty productive. First of all, I started college at 16 (I am now 17). This year I have done a lot of research on mycobacteriophages under my biology professor. I even have my name on two publications. I won 2nd place at the American Society for Microbiology for my research. I made a 3.73 GPA both semesters which took quite a bit of time to get over (these semesters have been a really good learning experience on the most effective study techniques that I should use). I will be the Biology I lab assistant next semester via the recommendation of my professor. I will also be the head Chemistry SI/tutor for my university via the recommendation of my chemistry professor. This summer I will be shadowing and doing research under a microneurosurgeon(M.D, Ph.D). We will be doing research on spinal cord tumors! This summer I will be applying to JAMP, which is a program that guarantees a position into any Texas medical school. Next semester I will be trying to implement a program that allows students with disabilities to have the opportunity to do sports through the help of volunteers. I think that I am headed in a good direction but I may just be full of it. Let me know what you think![/QUOTE

I think you're fine

You're doing amazing actually, keep it up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol you want a pat on the back, go tell your parents

Reactions: 1 users
You lack volunteering/clinical experience, which you have plenty of time to accrue.

Reactions: 1 user
I swear these forums were made for trolling

Reactions: 2 users
Good GPA, lots of research. No volunteering to those less fortunate than you, no clinical exposure to sick or injured people. You have time for that but just don't forget to do them.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

hmsdean.png

I think you should change your real name and delete your school for anonymity...NOW!

I agree with the learned Toutie's comment that Sir Nick of Leonard12 should remove his geographic and scholastic associations.

I think you should change your real name and delete your school for anonymity...NOW!
Yeah dude you really have to not be so obvious with your identity on SDN, it's in your best interest, you can be googled in about half a second currently.

But yes, if you're looking for actually advice on how to improve your MD application instead of one for a PhD (as you currently have), you really need to get some clinical volunteering as well as volunteering out in the community away from a hospital. You need to diversify your extracurricular activities or you are going to get blind-sided when the application cycle comes around. Also, as always, do well on the MCAT when it is time for that.